UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 06, 2020, 08:53:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most Overrated/ Underrated Men's College Teams  (Read 26647 times)
KK

United States United States

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »

List which teams you see as unerrated and under the radar coming into the spring season, as well as the teams that you think are far too overrated, and likely to fall.

Ex. Michigan is overrated and won;t make nationals.
Wisconsin Whitewater is underrated, but not ready to make the jump to nationals at this point.

Go.
tiptop

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »

oh god have i been waiting for this one.

unc, i believe is grossly overrated.  how did they go from nobody last year to just outside of the top ten this year?  washburn is a good player, but come on.  i just don't see it.  ill know how good they are after this weekend though.
michigan will NOT make nationals, they lost too much and did not replace it with anything.
michigan state lost everyone and they do not deserve to be in the top 20.
kansas i think lost too much to be good again, but with that region, they will make it in again.

you know, im on board with wisc whitewater too.  just too bad they are in that region.
carleton is underrated, as usual, though.
illinois and ohio are underrated.  ohio will have a very good showing in qctu.  illinois will look solid but not dazzling.
stanford is underrated as well.  they are too strong, just too strong.
ramjam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:29:42 PM »

oh tiptop, this looks good.  we seem to be on the same page with michigan and kansas.  mich st though still has some fight left, i think.  im pumped for this weekend when all of these things get figured out.  does anyone else want to weigh in on this one?  please say yes.  i think this thread could be wicked fun.
BuddhaRica

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »

I would but I don't like to make predictions and then eat my words......its fuel for other teams when you say they are overrated......I agree that Carleton is underrated....I'll let you know my opinion maybe after Vegas..I leave in t- 7 hours....
cybear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »

stanford is underrated as well.  they are too strong, just too strong.

2 stuyvesant hs sticky fingers alums play for standford! will chen and danny newman

maxe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

Illinois has a very deep team this year, I think only 1 player graduated from last year, and with Michigan/Michigan State not being what they were last year, I think it would be safe to assume Illinois will make it to the Championships (besides Ohio, who else will challange them in the Great Lakes?)  Historically CUT is almost always underrated, but I have no clue what their team will be like this year.  UNC is overrated.  Florida is also overrated, I think they will make it to the semi's in the championship, but without Tim Gehret it will be really hard for them.  Kurt Gibson is a beast, but he can't do everything.  Everyone has really high expectations for them, and they will be really good, but I don't think they will be as good as everyone is saying they will be.
tiptop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:54:35 AM »

illinois will be challenged by ohio, ohio state, and (sleeper pick) indiana.  that will probably get me burned but who knows, its early, no one has played shit so ill say those three.  plus if indiana (big if) makes it i look like a genius.  florida is going to be a good team.  making semis of nationals is nothing to turn your nose at.  they may not, probably not repeat, but come on they tool on every team in the nation minus 6 or so teams.  i would not hitch my wagon to illinois though they got a couple decent handlers but after that what do they got?  if you answer: a bunch of dudes shorter than 6'1", then you are correct.  enough GL talk though.  this is about overrated and underrated, that region is neither.
bigley

howdy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »

in THE FUTURE, actually just after vegas the teams that will come out with some dirt on their shoulder will be; North Texas, Carlton, Oregon, If UBC was their thery would turn some heads, I like how all those canucks play the game. North texas is in a pretty easy bracket and will hopefully break seed. these are my underrated teams going in to vegas, it's not very thought out but the real business is going down south with a bottle of Bourbon and a Cajun Queen plus like a 1or 2K cash prize. that's going to be the real tournament of early spring.

rhb

ps, I'm predicting all of wiscos 70 player roster to injure something this weekend. future holla holla hola hola hola holllllla.
BrookDaves

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »

I don't know what happened to Carleton after friday in Vegas, but after losses to las Positas and Colorado: good teams, but teams Carleton needs to beat.

Bigley was right about Illinois and North texas - Illinois fought hard on sunday to place 9th, I watched them play, they are very balanced offensively.  UNT had two universe point wins on Saturday (UCF and UBC) to make it to the championship bracket.  Oh and by the way UNt only had 12 players in Vegas.

I think UCSD is overrated, they claim to have used mostly rookies in Santa Barbara, I don't know what the story is for Vegas's very lackluster performance, maybe a win at home this weekend will make up for it.

Watson

United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »

I think one team that is not underrated is Harding.  They always try to hype themselves early in the year with a list of their players with strengths like "really been working on his long throws" and "starting to get comfortable in the stack, not so many drops this year", then come out with an expected 6 or 7 at Sectionals, and one win at Regionals.  Whitewater is overrated because of all the talk they've been doing this year.  Talk ain't shit without performance to back it up.  Their best talk goes about like "near losses" and "almost wins", and then everyone talks about what a surprise powerhouse team they will be.  Kansas is overrated since their loss of Jarod Wolf (90% of their team's offense last year).  UBC is always overrated, as with Carelton.  Both are always listed as "underrated", and then again lose the big games and stay home from Nationals.  I think they are rated exactly where they should be, as potential power teams if they could just buckle down a little more in pressure situations.  Texas, widely known as the armpit of the US, is an overrated state, still.  It is less of an armpit and more of a smelly taint.  Huck Finn is an overrated tournament with the worst fields outside of Vegas.  Imos is a way overrated pizza place.  Sunny and 60 degrees is underrated weather.  Lord Of The Rings is an overrated trilogy, while Die Hard is underrated.  Bigley = overrated, mostly by himself.  "Gremlins" actually caused a new rating (PG-13) to be created because it was a horror/comedy and perfectly appropriate for teenagers.
tiptop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »

how is carleton overrated?  how could anyone ever say that?  thats just foolish, they have owned that region until as of late.  get your head on straight and realize what you are saying watson, carleton is tragically underrated.
Watson

United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

I don't think Carleton is underrated at all.  I have heard nothing but "Carleton is a great program and a great team" for the last several year, which they are.  Everyone says Carleton is underrated while they praise them and I don't understand it.  Have you heard a lot of people saying "Carleton is not that incredible?"  I sure as hell haven't.  That's what it means to be underrated; people either talk down about your team or consistantly ignore you.  This has not happened to Carleton.  They are rated as a team with a fighting chance at Nationals, then they consistantly put up a fight for the chance to Nationals.  So what do you want me to admit?  They don't live up to their expectations each year?  Once again they've got a good shot at Nationals, but they play in a region with tough competition so it is not a certainty?
They get a lot of hype, maybe more than any other college team throughout the year, in no way is this an underrating.
tiptop

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »

Carleton went to nationals 15 years in a row (!!!), how is that not impressive.  they got shat on for missing nationals once.  everyone says carleton is not that great, well it seems like they may have the recipe for success with 15 times out of 16 qualifying for nationals.  this year with the central having two bids, do you think they will make it?  i think that they will and once they get to nationals i think they will make it to the semis.  watson, i think you are wrong on this one.  ill take your statement:

They are rated as a team with a fighting chance at Nationals, then they consistantly put up a fight for the chance to Nationals.  So what do you want me to admit?  They don't live up to their expectations each year? - watson

well if they are rated as a team that has a chance to go to nationals and then they go to nationals, didnt they live up to their expectations?  i dont get your post.  i think you should go back and look at what you wrote.
BuddhaRica

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 12:04:59 AM »

I don't know what happened to Carleton after friday in Vegas, but after losses to las Positas and Colorado: good teams, but teams Carleton needs to beat.

Carleton beat Colorado and Goldstein was injured at the end of that game and did not play the rest of the weekend.  They were up on UCSD but blew it in the 2nd half.
ramjam

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »

ucf?  too much self promotion.  overrated by their own team.  not a blip on the radar by any other team.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese