UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 31, 2014, 01:00:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most Overrated/ Underrated Men's College Teams  (Read 14298 times)
BuddhaRica

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »

I wouldn't say too much self - promotion.  They just are pumped about making a move this year to hopefully take that 3rd spot in the AC to nationals (if this happens, and assuming GA and UF make it as well....all three spots would be taken by the same section in the AC).  For many of their players, this is there last year to achieve this and they may fall down talent wise next year.  I'm happy for them.  For as young as this program is, they aren't doing too bad.
huckit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 11:07:39 PM »

Based on how teams looked at Vegas:
I think Illinois is appropriately rated and should be able to do well in their region.   
The team I was most impressed with and thought was the coolest group of guys werethe gentlemen from UNT.  They played their balls off and kept the spirit high throughout, a very classy group of guys, they could be better than Texas (I haven't seen Texas). 
UCF is pretty good but they are not as balanced, almost everything involves #9 and #23 because they are exceptional athletes and make good decisions with the disc, but I guess you only need two guys to score and they beat some good teams.  Also their video was sweet, I think all the teams should make videos...its not like anybody who is on ultitalk.com reading this shit doesn't have a couple minutes to watch another team's video.
UCSB is good, Rory is a baller and a good guy, hopefully he can change people's perceptions about his team by leading by example and setting the tone with his spirit.  They seem like the only team that really can challenge Colorado in the SW Region this year.
Florida has some amazing players and can get it done when it counts.  They also seem to be losing the respect of the community with lots and lots of calls.  Kirk Gibson is a stud but not the Callahan type leader like Tim that kept the team's image classy.  In the three games I saw Florida play in there were an excess of foul calls, travels, etc that detracted from the quality of the games.  I think they are talented enough to kick ass whenever they bring it but I'd hate to see the champs be widely disliked by their peers.

This is just my opinion based on an early tournament, I'm sure a lot could change soon as teams develop, I'm exited to see if Claremont, Humboldt, LPC or Davis can win the Qualifier and do anything at the Stanford Invite in a couple weeks.
BuddhaRica

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 12:25:51 AM »

UCSB: Agreed

Florida: Its "Kurt"  Wink Gibson,

UCF:  Agreed

Illinois:  Haven't seen much of them
Cookie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »

Underrated: Wisconsin.

There's not nearly enough talk of them, for how good they are.  I hear all this incessant yammering about UCF and Florida, some about Carleton and some about Wisconsin-Whitewater but simply not enough about Wisconsin.  There should be more than just Muffin reminding teams that Wisconsin is going to beat them.  Maybe this is an example of it being lonely at the top.

Underrated: Brown

Didn't they just beat Stanford the other weekend?  Sure, they looked pretty awful last year, even though they went to Nationals, but this is a big win.  Why haven't I heard more about them?  Stand on Colin Mahoney's shoulders and you're over halfway to a slam dunk.

Overrated: UCF

Georgia, NC State and Florida are all going to beat the snot out of UCF at Regionals.  Why are we even discussing them?  Let's hold off on talking about them until they beat somebody good.

Underrated: NC State

With defense that good, your offense can afford to falter.  This team has the potential to take out some of the other big names.  I don't think it's enough to win Nationals, but they sure could ruin some teams' Saturdays.

Overrated: Florida

Cheap calls can only take you so far.  Big reduction in the respect deserved by a team.  Otherwise, plenty of talent.  But any close victory is likely tainted.
garnerkd03

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 03:51:39 AM »

Whitewater is overrated because of all the talk they've been doing this year.  Talk ain't shit without performance to back it up.  Their best talk goes about like "near losses" and "almost wins", and then everyone talks about what a surprise powerhouse team they will be.

When did this happen?
BuddhaRica

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »

How can Wisconsin be considered underrated?  All I've seen is hype that this team is better than last years team and that no one has a shot on them.  They're ranked first in the fresh top 25 and everyone says that Wisconsin is the team to beat.
maxe

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »

also, from the results I have seen, Carlton isn't looking too good this year (this is, of course, relative to their past seasons).
BuddhaRica

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »

Pitt, anyone seen them play?  Overrated Underrated?  They seemed to have caught hodags off guard for a game at terminus...any thoughts?
Julian Hausman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »

I have played with most of the guys on Pitt, and I can say they are definately underrated.

The first game they played against Wisconsin, Pitt was up 11-7 (game to 13), but lost on universe. I don't really know what happened the second game.

They've beaten Whitewater, NC State, and OSU, and I would definately say that they can hold their own against the best teams.

Lots of talent in every year, they should stay strong for a while.
Condor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »

Carleton seems to always perform mediocre at best in early spring, then turn it on hard for the series...i'd expect it again and for them and the Hodags to represent the CN in Columbus.  They had a great first day at vegas before losing their go-to-guy Goldstein to injury.  There was a great quote from RSD and up on CollegUlti.com for a while along the lines of, Carleton is overlooked every year, and every year it turns out to be a mistake...

As for Pitt, i'd look for them to jut keep getting better.  They have been to Nationals pretty consistently the last few years, and thier talent hasn't seemed to have dropped off much.  Also from what I understand, the Juniors scene in Pittsburgh is really developing and becomming BIG.  Incomming Juniors talent is fast becomming the key to sustaining an elite College Program.

Wisconsin didn't look great at Terminus, but they got the job done.  Sooo much experience on that team.  The biggest thing to consider is that last week was probably the first they have had a chance to practice outside since the spring semester began.  Now that spring seemms to have sprung in Wisconsin, look for the Hodags to elevate thier game and take CenTex this weekend.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese