UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:57:38 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aussie Nats 2008 Reflections  (Read 9908 times)
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

Ok, lets start a new thread.

What did you think of, learn from, or plan to do again or differently, as a result of Nationals 2008?

Four categories:

1.  AFDA policy stuff - draw and seeding - how'd it go?

2.  TD stuff - fields, food, parties, costs, venues - what'd you think?

3.  Teams and Clubs - what did you see others doing that was interesting?  Outfits, warmupdrills, management, transport, coaching.

4.  Individuals - what about personally?  How'd you play, make any friends/foes, are you going again?

Scotty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

Four categories:

1.  AFDA policy stuff - draw and seeding - how'd it go?

See if there is something that could be done to encourage teams to fill out tournament feedback forms. The number of forms returned wasnt so good and i filled out the one i found with the rubbish in the stadium with comments from my perspective.

As bonus funding is based on the average value of feedback, I'd suggest that a team which fails to hand in a feedback form with a score out of 10 and justification to the score loses its final position rank to any team(s) below it which returns its form.

2.  TD stuff - fields, food, parties, costs, venues - what'd you think?

Fields don't have much to add, they were moved around to the best available fields. Field 13 was only scheduled to be used once and field 11 (near baseball diamond) had the option to rotate the field if both captains agreed. The stadium and fields were excellent.

Parties, A drawback there was that there wasnt much of an aisle between tables so moving around sucked.

Costs, some people said on the feedback forms that Coffs was hard to get to, if you flew in you'd need a hire car to get around.

3.  Teams and Clubs - what did you see others doing that was interesting?  Outfits, warmupdrills, management, transport, coaching.

Don't have much to add on this one.  What i saw of the final, I'd like to know a bit more about the Zone the NZ women put on.

4.  Individuals - what about personally?  How'd you play, make any friends/foes, are you going again?

I'd try not to snap off the key in the lock of the door which had the Cones, Scoreboards and Water containers behind it. I didn't know it at the time but Council had a spare key and they could have gotten through a second door.

Friends, Well a Chilly team bought me a drink at the party. Hills guys were great to work with again. Foes.....  Maybe upset a couple of people telling them to get off the Stadium fields but they've probably forgotten already.

Am i going again? JdR have you got a Flux Capacitor we dont know about ?. As for Mixed Nats 2008, i'll be trying my best to be a player.

As for the podcasting, I'd try for better organisation of the people to call the games, maybe semi's and arrange a list of players names with shirt numbers, more space on the server so i didnt delete previously uploaded stuff and have something to track the number of downloads from the beginning. Since uploading to the new server there have been 42 downloads of the Finals and 26 of the test match. And I'd put a bit of a warning in the e-mail i'd send out saying to expect mild coarse language.

JMc
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »

Quick comment, from a manager/captain's point of view... I've spent an entire season organising, coaching and trying to inspire 40 guys, I've spent 4 days straight trying to be a good player, a good captain, take care of admin, deal with accom, organise players, blah blah blah...
The last thing I want to do at the end of the tournament, once I've finally got a chance to kick back, is to fill out a tournament evaluation form during the finals and festivities. I did it last year and missed half the women's final; I'll be honest, I ignored mine this year.

If I had a suggestion, do it over email or something, and give captains a couple of weeks to respond. It also allows people to think properly about something, because I'm certainly not in a mood to carefully critique on day 4, I'll fill it out as quickly as possible and hand it in - basically useless...
Dens

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:26:34 AM »

I am not a fan of current draw.  My objections stem from the fact that my team had two games against the same team twice as did most other teams, the highest seed we faced was 6th place and finally the crossover game for the top of the bottom and bottom of the top pool should occur before presemis, so that there is some meaning to making the top eight.   Playing a team for their place after they have lost a quarterfinal is pretty uninspiring.  When we played Barefoot to progress up to 5-8 bracket they or at least most senior players didn't give a toss and it showed.  Shouldn't a team that makes quarters really make the eight? .........  Barefoot dropped to 12 after this   

Again I accept Sublime didn't make the cut on day one and deserved to be dropped to the lower pools however there is little to play for after day one.  It was pointed out that 5th place can be achieved but by the time you are playing these teams to make the top eight pool etc most don't care, they've lost their quarter final.  There is also little satisfaction in making the top eight if you don' get an opportunity to play quarters or presemis.  If you are going to be knocked out on the first day I would rather have a crack against a top four team and at least be satisfied that a $1000+ tournament was worthwhile and we have an opportunity to improve by playing the better teams.     

I propose we do away with the cusp pool and use the UPA model.   Top teams and bottom teams are more accountable and at the very least the top eight should be playing quarterfinals.   UPA gives you 6 games then min 2 placing games and your tournament doesn't end entirely on day 1 if you come third in your pool.     
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:59:20 AM »

Just to make it clear Dens, Barefoot didn't make quarters. So, we can't really talk about a Barefoot making quarters and then fluking to 12th. However they certainly were broken by the time you played them for the second time. They are a really different team to the one I played with last year, it was kind of weird to see it all unfold. I managed to get a little peek at what was going on with the team that was different from last time but it really wasn't enough to figure out what happened. I think if the games go to seed you shouldn't play teams twice but strange results can breed repeats.

And dropping teams beacuse they didn't hand in feedback forms would destory the structure of the seeding and inter-regional qualification system. No way is it feasible

The zone put on by the NZ chicks was probably their version of a 2-3-2.

And thanks for the podcasting work scottie, its a really interesting element for the called matches. "errant pass" my skinny white ass!
Dens

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 03:16:45 AM »

Thanks Tom, I stand corrected.  Pre semis is 3rd-6th after power pools.  I still think the current structure is flawed and pigeon holes teams and it is hard when Sublime had a somewhat disappointing campaign to remain objective but I'm trying.     

Also from a tournament view, great event and well managed especially given the muddy circumstances Smiley   Congrats to Simon and the Hills Team.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:30:54 AM by Dens » Logged
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »

Someone mentioned something that would really make those last games count: Getting back to the idea that the top six teams form the basis for the NUFL teams. Its a great incentive to all the teams to keep playing through.

Having played on both sides of the cusp pool now I'm still not sold either way, that one system is better than the other.

-Tom
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:47:10 AM »

well if you have the top 6 going for NUFL spots then it would mean Brisbane probably wouldnt get one. But even if it did have some sort of bearing on the choice of teams for NUFL then i think teams will try just that bit harder.

I mean there isnt enough focus put on NUFL developement yet as it is and very little info for players even the weekend before we play. It would be great to see someone take the bull by the horns and take responsiblity for NUFL as pottsy can only do so much.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:08 AM »

The new National Events Officer role will take care of that.

Vote 1 me!

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 03:17:31 AM »

Simmo for NEO hey? I'm glad someone useful is applying for the position.

n00b pointing at Simmo, "Hey thats NEO......    they say he is the one...."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese