UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:04:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Conceptual Ultimate  (Read 6152 times)
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »

Recently a friend and I found ourselves talking about Ultimate (not surprising), only this time we took the conversation a bit deeper.  Rather than talking about various plays or even the local Ultimate gossip, we engaged in a conversation about Ultimate on a more theoretical level.  Recently, as you might of read, I proposed the idea that perhaps the next progression of Ultimate might be ambidexterity (http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php/topic,382.0.html).  I was curious to find out my friend's thoughts on the matter, after which he began to tell me about this idea called Conceptual Ultimate.

It turns out that the great Steve Mooney (aka Moons, MoonEE - http://www.upa.org/hof/inductees#mooney) from the mid-1990's powerhouse team DoG (Death or Glory) wrote a series of articles 10+ years ago about viewing Ultimate conceptually rather than empirically.  I had never heard of these articles before, but my friend stressed that I must find and read them.  So, the hunt began.

After a searching high and low and following only dead links, I finally found them on one simple web page.  Before this link disappears as well, I've added them here on UT for the archives:

Conceptual Ultimate 1 - Calling Plays
Conceptual Ultimate 2 - Practicing Effectively
Conceptual Ultimate 3 - Changing Your Defensive Set ... Often
Conceptual Ultimate 4 - The Basics: Handlers and Goal Scorers

Additionally, during my search I came across this old Chasing Plastic Magazine player profile article about Moses Rifkin, a DoG player himself back in the day.  In it he refers to Steve Mooney and his conceptions, and how they greatly influenced his game.  http://www.chasingplastic.com/archives/issue-pages/v3i2/moses-rifkin.htm

I hope you enjoy these articles as much as I have (thanks MoonEE).

Cheers!

- Seppo
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:44:40 AM by Seppo » Logged

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese