UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 28, 2020, 07:41:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Uni ultimate - looking forward  (Read 58649 times)
mattdowle
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »

UNE has some ultimate players. My mate gets a few along for a pick-up game occassionally. They aren't too far from the Gold Coast so could be interested. Mostly post grads play and they are often doing fieldwork during uni games times. They almost got a team for mixed nats. Lisi has helped with things up there also
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »

Thanks Matt. I knew there were some players in Armidale but didn't know if they were linked to UNE at all.

Further to my suggestion of a Div2, we'd have it in place to accommodate new clubs. So let's say we manage to get SCU, UNE, Bond and ACU on board for 2009. Div1 would consist of the top 16 from this year plus UQ and UNSW, and Div2 would have QUT, Griffith, UOW, SCU, UNE, Bond, ACU plus whatever B teams come (let's say UQ, USyd and Ballarat). Div1 would be the usual AUG standard, and Div2 would have less games overall, and a better competition because teams would be playing against their own standard all week.

So here's another question - if we were able to get funding for you to do so, who would assist in recruiting and coaching a new team at a university?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »

Whoever is closest? Geographically that is.

I would actually argue against Griffith being in Div2.... They have some decent players and if they start developing now, I can easily see them challenging the likes of UTS or one of those other mid-ranged teams.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2008, 01:34:56 AM »

Whoever is closest? Geographically that is.
I'm talking "people putting their hand up", not speculation.

I would actually argue against Griffith being in Div2.... They have some decent players and if they start developing now, I can easily see them challenging the likes of UTS or one of those other mid-ranged teams.
Whatevs. Who goes where isn't really up for discussion for another 9 months or so. As long as people are seeing my point for two divisions.

-edit- Griffith have been around for two years now. They came to AUG again because they had fun in 07, not because "hey lets go win a medal". They're exactly the kind of team we want to attract more of.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:37:41 AM by simmo » Logged

Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »

I can't find it in the thread but I'm pretty sure it was stashed in here somewhere amongst the speculation about which unis have played and when etc. But I think Southern Cross played an EUGs a few years back (but I guess most of them have left) and there was a year that the Central Coast Campus of Newcastle uni put in a team (who'd even read a rules summary before the start... but not thrown a frisbee) and the Cumbo campus of Usyd played once or twice (in the sexiest purple and white checks I've ever seen)

No sign of a point yet...
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 07:31:58 AM »

Here's another thought... going international.

- Green & Gold team playing Asia Oceanic Championships?
- Indian Rim Asian University Games. AUS take over management of this event from next year, and are considering a system where the top 4 AUG finishers are invited to compete.
- New Zealand University Games. Held in April, so clashes with Nationals, but maybe we could get an ensemble team together.

Chook

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »

I'm not too sure of the details, but there might be something at Indiam Rim Asian University Games in Perth next year where Ultimate is open to all of Australia. We promoted it a bit at Uni Games this year. We got a pretty sweet Japanese team to come down and play us last year, they kicked our asses all week until the final where we pulled off a huge upset victory for the win.
amy-boylan

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:24 AM »

Dan: Boz, any word on the aims of CSU for next year? Reckon you'll get a team together.

Hey well the major aims for csu next year is to 1: get more female players and keep them because yeah like boz said we had only one newbie (me) stay with the club for the whole year
2: make sure we are going to AUGs.

but if the idea of a Ivy league goes ahead im sure CSU would want to be part of it but like bozza said its hard for us to be making a lot of trips up to sydney so yeah maybe if the Ivy games in sydney were on the same weekend then that would be good becasue that would mean one trip for us to sydney and then the trip up to newcastle.
but at trainin i will talk to the team and put forward this proposed idea and see what they say and then get back to you about what we think..

Amy
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:05 AM »

Shit, that reminds me. I was supposed to finish that up and send it out last week.

The (proposed) IVy League will be held over three weekends that will be scheduled well in advance (ie: before the end the year) so teams that have to travel can get to planning for them early. I'm thinking one in April, one in June and one in September, but that's up for discussion.

Is Stampede happening in 09?

amy-boylan

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 02:26:47 AM »

Yes Stampede is happening next year craigie and myself are already starting to plan things for it and we are thinking bout having it early in the year though so that it isnt as cold as this years one was (and so that the weak sydney ppl stop complainin about the cold  Tongue)
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 03:10:30 AM »

Shit, that reminds me. I was supposed to finish that up and send it out last week.
Grin I wasn't going to remind you Grin .

Nice to see you around amy.

@Tanty: Ourimbah put in a team? Cool. They are technically part of the university i'm at... Its a wonder they haven't got in touch with us. They would be eligible to play for any Newcastle Uni side at AUGs or ECCs.... Dear Tanty, you have given me a really good idea. Thanks.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 03:44:27 AM »

Hey everyone. Read this

http://www.the-huddle.org/features/college-development/

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »

Thats a fairly informative blog.... Quite lengthy too.

It was reassuring to see some of the strategies we use in newcastle for recruitment are used elsewhere as well. The use of videos on an O-week stall, having a BBQ and game to get the rookies interested...

However, the problem is with the broader community. Ultimate frisbee is not a sport. Not to them anyway, despite what things actually are on field.

That having been said, if we recruit 20 new players a year, that is increasing our awareness in the community....
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

ACU (Brisbane), Bond (Gold Coast), Central Queensland (Mackay/Rockhampton), James Cook (Townsville), Southern Cross (Lismore), University of New England (Armidale), USQ (Brisbane I think, or Toowoomba) and University of Sunshine Coast (Sunshine Coast)

might as well comment since i am still in the position of Uni cord it seems.

ACU have a couple of players as they do use ultimate as part of their teaching course apparently.
Bond still exist but due to them having to miss uni to attend uni games it is hard, plus they have the highest rate of fly in fly out students.
James Cook is mainly a cost thing for them. they are always drunk so for them paying to fly to where ever really has to be worth it.
All the others it is mainly a logistics thing. something that cant really be solved i for one dont have time to drive to toowoomba and back in a night and i used to do it for volleyball.
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008, 03:46:12 AM »

@Tanty: Ourimbah put in a team? Cool. They are technically part of the university i'm at... Its a wonder they haven't got in touch with us. They would be eligible to play for any Newcastle Uni side at AUGs or ECCs.... Dear Tanty, you have given me a really good idea. Thanks.

It was back in the day (2004 I'm pretty sure) and things have changed since then I'm sure... I'm pretty sure that different campuses could compete as different teams at EUGs but would need to merge at AUGs or something complicated like that... Oh well I find myself saying "back in my day" all the time now... ANd as part of that here's something that will upset you all just because I can... When I went to AUGs in Perth I paid WAY less than you all did to go to Melbourne due to about $6-900 in subsides... Ahhh pre VSU that was the day

No sign of a point yet...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese