UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 23, 2020, 09:55:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Nationals 2008  (Read 101230 times)
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »

FAF is my dark horse - very  very STRONG on the Womens roster all Worlds players ( and about 1,000,000 years experience) Oh and they have Tiger as well.

Unfortunately in mixed ultimate:
best women + good men < best men + good women
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »

Tiger to outsky the gak in the final to win.  That's my prediction!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »

Grin Now I catch up.

Quote from: rachelg
best women + good men < best men + good women

A good team uses all their players and in mixed ultimate, i find its the girls that make a bigger difference than the guys.

Except for the gak....
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »

Good girls often does show up as the difference. This is because the depth of ability in mens in Australia, meaning their is less different between the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc ranked men than the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc ranked women. The 4th ranks guys can still cut it with the top guys but the 4th girls probably can't.

Of course, all of our discussions have completely ignored team chemistry. Don't forget the results from this years nationals. Barefoot had a slew of good players and did poorly. FU took several people to their first nationals and then on to the final and we don't have many stars. Some parallels exist with the underperforming Newcastle in the Women and the Factory Girls managing to beat Team Box in the 5th/6th play off.

Of course, we know that the Gak, Shane and Scamby chemistry is well entrenched.

Scamby catches pull. Throw to the Gak. Shane runs around in the outfield. Gak sighs, throws to Scamby and runs to the stack. Shane lumbers into the dump position and catches a throw from Scamby. By this time the Gak has proceeded past the stack on his way to the endzone. Shane throws a 40 metre leading hammer where a backhand would have done. The Gak scores.

Its that easy!
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »

Good girls often does show up as the difference. This is because the depth of ability in mens in Australia, meaning their is less different between the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc ranked men than the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc ranked women. The 4th ranks guys can still cut it with the top guys but the 4th girls probably can't.

Yes, good girls can show up as the difference where the guys can match up. As Tom rightly says there is far more depth amongst the guys so that matching up happens more often than on the female front. However, if the guys can't match up (i.e. a team is struggling to cover say Gak & Shane) then even if your women were far superior you are unlikely to win.

Put another way, a team with the best guys and mediocre women can win a tournament, but it would be unlikely that a team with the best women and mediocre guys would win a tournament.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »

Scamby catches pull. Throw to the Gak. Shane runs around in the outfield. Gak sighs, throws to Scamby and runs to the stack. Shane lumbers into the dump position and catches a throw from Scamby. By this time the Gak has proceeded past the stack on his way to the endzone. Shane throws a 40 metre leading hammer where a backhand would have done. The Gak scores.

Its that easy!
You forgot to mention Tao laying out into someone, and Sascha on the sidelines making a pseudo-racist remark about Kiwis/Canadians/Polskis in their direction.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Pallen

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »

Well with all this talk about the Gak I think that we are going to start a play called the anti-Gak. Pretty sure whoever it is can be easily taken by one of our team if needs be.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »

Its that easy!
You forgot to mention Tao laying out into someone, and Sascha on the sidelines making a pseudo-racist remark about Kiwis/Canadians/Polskis in their direction.

That usually happens on defence, so i left it out as they were playing O Tongue

I think its hilarious that mixed nats will be introducing the Gak to a whole new generation of kidlets! Lets hype him up some more!
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2008, 11:57:49 PM »

Tribe of Miniature Horse beat Vintage in a practice game on the weekend
(They did have Gak but not many others)
(Plus I asked them not just to huck it to Gak which the graciously complied with)

I still expect them to make the final.

Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 02:27:15 AM »

Tribe of Miniature Horse beat Vintage in a practice game on the weekend
(They did have Gak but not many others)
(Plus I asked them not just to huck it to Gak which the graciously complied with)

Hahaha.

It's like playing cricket as a little kid in the backyard, bowling against your dad. He would just knock it around for a single each time, when you know he could have smashed every ball over the fence for six if he wanted to.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »

Well with all this talk about the Gak I think that we are going to start a play called the anti-Gak. Pretty sure whoever it is can be easily taken by one of our team if needs be.
I'm predicting UQ won't be in the same end of the draw as Vintage, but if we were to cross paths, any anti-Gak defense would have to involve a baseball bat, his knee, and some very poor spirit.

Pete, the best way I could explain Gak to you is he is like Mike Neild on steroids, plus has very tidy throws. He is one of those players that instead of trying to beat him personally, you try to beat the rest of the team instead, ie. he can't receive the disc in the endzone if you hand block every player trying to pass to him.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Pallen

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2008, 08:58:50 AM »

Mike Nield on Steroids...eek.

Alright then, block the rest of the team is a perfectly sound plan then.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »

It's like playing cricket as a little kid in the backyard, bowling against your dad. He would just knock it around for a single each time, when you know he could have smashed every ball over the fence for six if he wanted to

Haha that's sweet. Quite appropriate.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:13 AM »

I was having a look at the Mixed Nats website, and found something that made me laugh - the info about the party:

SUNDAY night: PAAARRTTYY!! at Uber in Boundary Rd West End. Bring your best gambling, cheesey, chinzy gear - there will be prizes! NOTE, we are required by the establishment to be clothed and to wear closed in shoes.

Funny how there is an explicit warning for people to keep their clothes on. I'm sure this has never been asked before. There can only be one explanation:

HOS MENTALITY
ash_5
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:32 AM »

I was having a look at the Mixed Nats website, and found something that made me laugh - the info about the party:

SUNDAY night: PAAARRTTYY!! at Uber in Boundary Rd West End. Bring your best gambling, cheesey, chinzy gear - there will be prizes! NOTE, we are required by the establishment to be clothed and to wear closed in shoes.

Funny how there is an explicit warning for people to keep their clothes on. I'm sure this has never been asked before. There can only be one explanation:

HOS MENTALITY

Hahahaha..reminds me of Nationals in Coffs this year, Sublime owned that party...
"Sublime, Can you please put your shirts back on?"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese