UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 18, 2020, 10:15:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wicked Japanese Ultimate Frisbee Promotional Video  (Read 22463 times)
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:50:22 AM »

Just found this on RSD, but thought I'd share it with y'all.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TMoj_9wtgec" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TMoj_9wtgec</a>

Awesome!

Gloves.  The wave of the future?  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:02:25 AM by Seppo » Logged

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:09 AM »

1:40.....

That hammer looks like its come straight from the James Garvey Playbook of How to Ruin a Defence.

60yds...... Pffft. No prob.

@Seppo: I can see what you mean by "gloves".... All of them are wearing a pair. Is that to keep hands warm or to improve the grip/throwing/catching of each player?
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:13:26 AM »

cool. looks like something they put together to get sponsorship.

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »

Very cool, but with all the trick throws etc, it's obvious that its an inhouse game before you see HUSKIES on both jerseys.

Makes me wonder whether something like this could get us sponsorhip in Australia.

Also good to see that they are a mixed team.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:56:37 AM »

I think the only thing that sets that video apart from other similarly elite-level clubs is the astounding production values.

I often wonder what all the ESPN or Fox Sports ads would look like if they were for frisbee. If there was more slow-motion involved, this video would pretty much be it.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »

@Tenk283: Yeah, most of the Japanese players wear gloves.  I noticed it @ World Clubs in Perth.  I think they mainly do it as a benefit to their throwing/catching.  I definitely saw an enhancement on their part.  They seemed to catch the disc "quicker" like with sticky fingers and then get rid of it just as quick.  Shocked

Another reason I was told they wear them (along with long sleeved jersies) is to block the Sun.  Apparently, in Japanese culture, having a tan is not an admirable thing, since it indicates working outside in the fields (aka you're not high class).  So I'm told anyway...

And I agree w/ you Tiger.  The production of that video is indeed astounding.  No doubt an Ultimate video like that in any country would do the sport well.  The video really showed a fast paced, expert timing sport.  And filming it in that arena was a smart move.  Cool

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:24 PM »

I liked that quick throw between that guy's legs. That was tricky. Certainly a new way to break the force. Just go straight through it.

As for an aussie video like this? Its possible. We certainly have the talent here. We would just need the technical expertise to actually film it and edit it....

Anyone know any professional cameramen (women)?

Personally, i'd love to see some slow motion of people laying out for the disc. Or going up for it. It would be sweet.
roboguro
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 05:44:41 AM »

I love that video, it's pretty slick. They're a good team.

As for the gloves, they definitely improve catching ability. The disk is less likely to bounce out of your hand if you're catching one handed. Also makes it easier to catch by the fingertips. But for me they also seem to slightly reduce the strength of the throw. It is a pain to get used to throwing barehanded after using them for a while though. My flicks went all over the place after I took the gloves off for the summer.

gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »

What gloves do you use? Golf gloves?
roboguro
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

They're actually ultimate gloves made by Club Jr. in Japan. They've got this rubbery grip pattern on them.
But my friend has seen them in a regular store just without the 'ultimate' written on the top so...

Of course there are people who use other gloves but those are what the majority of people use.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:50:34 AM »

Shocked Must. Go. Look. For. Sick. Ulti. Gloves.
kkutomi1216

Japan Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:37:22 AM »

My friends has join this video.
Husikes is not a mix team but in this video they did a mix game.
Husikes has been the champion of the college tournament on 2006
This was created by a famous musician as an OB for Husikes.

About the groves, I also use one.
It is under armour and is for American foot ball.

But other player  uses baseball groves,golf groves, and for working grove.

And about long sleeved jersies, it is not because of Japanese culture.
No one thinks it is admirable thing.
Some thinks it is good not to make scars.

And some think it looks cool.

jxuusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »

Sick video.

Having a glove on my throwing hand always impents my throws more than it helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese