UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 17, 2019, 09:17:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To Melbourne - 2008 university ultimate  (Read 276756 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

Yes I know there's a thread for the Challenges, but this will cover other general uni ultimate stuff.

I want to start things off by explaining the reasoning behind the change in gender ratio to "4:3 O chooses". The obvious one is that it brings uni ultimate in line with mixed ultimate in general in Australia (and I suppose the world). It is a rule that I don't see being used much this year because, as people have said, they don't have many girls. However let's say USyd this year use that rule to their advantage to get them over the line in a number of games and they end up winning gold - this will make everyone else start to think about how to recruit and develop more girls.

The eventual aim is to have men's and women's divisions at AUG (and after that, mixed as well as a "Division 2"). At the current rate of development, the quality and quantity of male players far exceeds that of females, so we need to find ways to get the quality and quantity of women players up before we can think about the two divisions.

There is some thought towards having a men's division and a mixed division because of the surplus of male players at the moment. If there are a substantial number of teams (ie: enough to warrant having a men's division) in favour of this, then sure, we'll make it happen for 2009. But, as always, I have a personal opinion on this - I think this would be detrimental to women's ultimate because uni clubs would lose focus on recruiting women and simply work on their men's teams. I believe this may even lead to some unis dropping their women altogether in favour of sending only a men's team. The only way I would be in favour of a men's/mixed split is if it was mandatory to enter a mixed team before you could enter a men's team. Only UQ and Monash are in a position to do that right now.

Short term solutions? Would an increase is squad numbers help? I haven't approached AUS with this idea yet, but I'm confident we could get it increased from 16 to 18 or 20. Bear in mind only 2 teams had maximum numbers last year.

Aside from all that, I'm tipping a Monash/USyd final.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

Everyone's gender split from 2007 AUG...

Ballarat - 5:7
UWA - 7:7
Monash - 9:6
UNSW - 11:4
QUT - 7:6
UQ - 10:6
Mac - 8:6
ANU - 8:5
Murdoch - 7:5
Sydney - 8:6
CSU - 9:4
UTS - 8:5
Tassie - 8:4
Adelaide - 8:4
Melbourne - 8:7
Griffith - 10:6
Flinders - 6:4
Latrobe - 7:5
NZ - 9:5
UWS - 7:5

<brag>If Ballarat can get more girls than guys then why can't everyone else?</brag> Tongue

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »

QUT is looking pretty good in terms of Girl Numbers with 6 currently on our list i think. we are struggling to get the guys interested in ultimate but having some good looking women doesnt hurt.

As for mens, womens and mixed teams i dont know how that will work out as numbers at uni will always be low due to costs and turnover rates. you will get to the point of having 2 mens teams and 20 mixed, not that it isnt a great idea.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:38 PM »

We're talking 5 years down the track. We may not get there for a while but it's something to aim for.

Joel Pillar is already talking up Flinders. I believe the words "best ever" were thrown about, but Joel has been known to make silly wagers on such matters. Latrobe rolled Monash at league last week with both teams at about 90% strength, but Monash have always been a "tournament team" (if that makes any sense). The Southern IV is almost certain to see a Monash/Latrobe final, with a blanket thrown over the other four whose squads are heavily populated with rookies. And I'm very interested in seeing Newcastle and a Dowle-less Mac at ECC.

My predictions for ECC/Southern IV...

1. Sydney
2. UQ
3. UNSW
4. Macquarie
5. Newcastle
6. UTS

1. Monash
2. Latrobe
3. Melbourne
4. Ballarat
5. Deakin
6. RMIT

DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:03:54 AM »

I thought Matt was playing (see his post re Uni challenges). The Mac people have at least claimed he is playing...care to fill us in matt...you cant pretend you dont read this. I wouldnt be writing off Mac so quickly, from what i have been told (by Hayley) they have quite a strong team.

USYd has a mix of some of its more experienced players and some beginners, with some stronger players taking a break due to either finances, injuries, skiing or being juniors (including el presidente latham and a four or more nationals girls) its nowhere near what our AUG's team strength will hopefully be.

Cant wait..now the rain has stopped we may even get a trainign session  in  before ECC, which would be novel 
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:28:10 AM »

Wow Simon, never seen you back a team so hardcore at USyd this year!  I am not there anymore, but I know UQ could have a stronger team than last year easily if they get the people to play.  The only question is if all the players retire as they seem to be due to winning already, or if they decide to come back and defend as champions.  If a majority come back to defend, I think you will be seeing a better team than last year.  Also, Matt Dowle is playing ECC, talked to him at last training camp about it. 

So Simon, why the backing of USyd? 
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »

I wouldn't hype Sydney too much, last thing we want is to be overestimated. Last year we came 7th with a very simlilar team, but this year we are going to do our best and hopefully come out with some bling...

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

Like I Brett said, UQ has the players, it's just a matter of whether they play or not, plus there is always that import factor...

I'm backing UQ for 4th at ECC... no comment on AUGs until I know the team.

Also I'm VERY much in support of raising the limit of number of players to 18 if not 20 being able to attend. I personally hate having to play 5 straight days and I'd be more than happy to share around some field time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:34:01 AM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
mattdowle
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:03 PM »

Yep, playing ECC's - but not going to kill myself doing it. Just not going to be playing AUG's as I will be in Broken Hill, and it's finally time to let go of the uni games thing (sheading a tear at the moment - haha), i've had a good record. Mac should be pretty strong at ECC's, but we do have 16 players - so I guess it depends on how much depth we have and how much game time is allocated. Pretty sure our goal is not to win - but to give the less experienced more of a chance to play. UQ might struggle for legs as I understand they have a small number of people - but they are very high quality. AUG's, Mac will probably be significantly reduced. Whilst we have potential to be stronger than last year - a lot of those players wont be playing. So reaching the semi's at AUG's will probably be out of the question.

Haha, Dave - it's never nice to have the number 1 seed tag!!!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:06 PM »

So Simon, why the backing of USyd?
To put unnecessary pressure on them, making it all the more entertaining when I'm on the sideline at ECC yelling "TAAAAAAAR-NYYYY, TAAAAAAAR-NYYYY", similar to Bart and Lisa yelling "DAAAAAAR-RYLLLLLLL, DAAAAAAR-RYLLLLLLL" at the nuclear power plant softball game.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

it's finally time to let go of the uni games thing (sheading a tear at the moment - haha), i've had a good record.

a uni games without matt dowle has there ever been such a thing? surely you got another degree in you?

this is looking like it will be my last hurrah (as a player anyway) unless they relax the eligability conditions a tad more.
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:38 AM »

The higher the number the better right Simmo?

Carn UTS at 6!!!

It looks like most of the teams will be fairly close this year, should be good.  Really psyched about the number of new people coming to play too.

Oh and don't rate USyd, they're all chumps especially maple who can't throw a push-pass in galeforce winds to save his life
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

screw you henry, thats my greatest throwing asset!
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:21:35 AM »

no longer a lurker ill finally make a post.

simon, i like this:
My predictions for ECC/Southern IV...

1. Sydney

but like maple said, mac have a strong team. i reckon uq will be tough. also weve got a few less experienced players on our team. and you can never write of unsw...

but AUGs is another story altogether...

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:22:30 AM »

I'm backing UQ for 4th at ECC... no comment on AUGs until I know the team.

I think any team with jMc on its line up has to be respected.

as for UQ's team at uni games it will be solid even missing their big ticket players. However i think a number of teams may be down a couple of players due to worlds money drain syndrome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese