UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:09:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To Melbourne - 2008 university ultimate  (Read 286898 times)
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 03:25:41 AM »

Wow, look at CSU in the background of your pic Mr Koh!
Pallen

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »

I'm backing UQ for 4th at ECC... no comment on AUGs until I know the team.

I think any team with jMc on its line up has to be respected.

as for UQ's team at uni games it will be solid even missing their big ticket players. However i think a number of teams may be down a couple of players due to worlds money drain syndrome.

Agreed, but it'll show the other uni's what UQ has been building up behind the scenes Cheesy

Quick question, does anyone know the best way to get from Melbourne to Woomera on a Friday afternoon/evening? Being from Brisbane I have no idea and need to do this on the last day of unigames, preferably after the final. Maybe even very early Saturday morning?

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:36 AM »

Fly to Adelaide and work your way from there. Bus or train perhaps.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chook

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:57 AM »

We're getting very excited about AUG's over here in the West. We did some heavy recruiting at UWA at the start of this year and numbers and people wanting to play this year are way up from last year.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »

We're getting very excited about AUG's over here in the West. We did some heavy recruiting at UWA at the start of this year and numbers and people wanting to play this year are way up from last year.

That sounds promising....

Sadly newcastle participation was kinda apathetic. Nobody really wanted to play AUG's for some reason.... Something I must file away for next year so i can push harder to get people in to play Cheesy .
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »

you guys looked very much like you had a team on the weekend...i assume you are talking about last year.

Also, on th topic of uni ultimate, newcastle IV was awesome fun - great job daniel, had everything that was needed, no gripes at all, prizes appropriate - goon which will be consumed enmasse as a team next week, results were Suufa winning over Newcastle in an even tussle 9-8. Suufa also won spirit...dont really know how, but i believe its probably due to the clerical error of our estemed captain michael tarn not handing in our spirit scores until seconds before the final result was anounced...and who could be bothered to do th maths on the fly).

As for simmo's earlier predictions, from what i saw on the weekend newcastle will definately be a tough team to beat at ECC and should not be written off at all....i excpect the only team with no realistic shot at ECC will be UTS (sorry henry/tom/suj...you know its true though...definately in with a shot for winning the party Smiley )
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:35 PM »

Maple, although UTS may not win ECC's, but don't go into a game against them thinking you'll smash them. They have the talent on the team to take it to all of the teams coming to ECC's and I would not be suprised if they picked up a "shock" victory during the tourney!!
Much like CSU, UTS seem to not be able to carry intensity through multiple games, and therefore lose what momentum. But I am hoping on an upset during the tourney Smiley

It'll be a great week, looking at draw possibilities at the moment. I can confirm 2 fields for the 6 teams, at least 6 games for each team over the 3 days!!
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »

On the monday or tuesday, there should be a photographer from a Sydney Uni magazine checking you all out for an article.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 03:17:58 AM »

you guys looked very much like you had a team on the weekend...i assume you are talking about last year.

Also, on th topic of uni ultimate, newcastle IV was awesome fun - great job daniel, had everything that was needed, no gripes at all, prizes appropriate - goon which will be consumed enmasse as a team next week, results were Suufa winning over Newcastle in an even tussle 9-8. Suufa also won spirit...dont really know how, but i believe its probably due to the clerical error of our estemed captain michael tarn not handing in our spirit scores until seconds before the final result was anounced...and who could be bothered to do th maths on the fly).

As for simmo's earlier predictions, from what i saw on the weekend newcastle will definately be a tough team to beat at ECC and should not be written off at all....i excpect the only team with no realistic shot at ECC will be UTS (sorry henry/tom/suj...you know its true though...definately in with a shot for winning the party Smiley )

Cheers mate.

I did the maths on the fly.... As SUUFA and only one other were in the running, I saw what score was given to the other and that wasn't enough. Suufa got the goon. All the teams told me you played with a high level of spirit (hence, the numbers) and I have no qualms about giving a team the prize for both spirit and tourny champs. Thats the way is should be. Anyway, i'm looking forward to an upset at ECC.  Grin Provided I can stop tarny smoking me up the line  Grin

I am actually talking about this year with the participation. We have a short list....  Cry Hopefully we don't have any injuries.

Oh, and on the topic of UTS.... Any one that writes them off is in trouble. The team that came to the IV had alot of "raw parts", lots of individual talent (especially the recievers), but the team didn't really gel on the day. If UTS make it to the final, I won't be surprised at all.

Definition of Irony: UTS beating Suufa to face Newcastle in the ECC final.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »

Provided I can stop tarny smoking me up the line  Grin

I'm sure he'll be smoking more than that...

Got him!

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »

Southern Intervarsity wrapped up this arvo. Bloody awful weather conditions - huge cross winds made anything flashy difficult so it was good solid ultimate with no room for mistakes.

1. Melbourne Uni
Not even full strength. Missing a few Worlds players, and Freise was only about for two games on Tuesday arvo. Incredible depth - no obvious weak areas.

2. RMIT
Don't get too excited - this was pretty much a pickup team, with 5 out of 10 being RMIT students. Still, the pickups weren't superstars, and the RMIT contingent showed plenty of promise.

3. Latrobe
On paper, they had the potential to win it, but never seemed to switch on. They know what to work on for AUG.

4. Ballarat
A new look BUUF, with only 4 returning players. Had trouble adjusting to a style that didn't include a deep hucking threat like the previous 3 years. Bit of work to do before AUG.

5. Deakin
Had the skills and the know-how, just lacked the experience and the legs. Played savage or close to all tournament. Upset Melbourne on day 1, so they are capable of ruffling some feathers.

Spirit winners - Ballarat
MVPs - Jason Gibson (Deakin), Mandy Fung (RMIT/Ballarat/whichever team happened to be short on girls each round).

Monash withdrew from the tournament on Tuesday morning because they couldn't field a team, causing some TD to be fucking furious about it having spent all the money to make a 6 team tourney happen.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 08:49:34 AM »

Maple, although UTS may not win ECC's, but don't go into a game against them thinking you'll smash them. They have the talent on the team to take it to all of the teams coming to ECC's and I would not be suprised if they picked up a "shock" victory during the tourney!!
It'll happen first round first day. Deakin rolled Melbourne at the Southern IV in Round 1, and I've seen similar upsets at other uni tournaments. It happens because a higher team is prepared for several games over several days, and don't expect a contest against a lower team, while the lower team just comes out all guns blazing.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

It'll happen first round first day. Deakin rolled Melbourne at the Southern IV in Round 1, and I've seen similar upsets at other uni tournaments. It happens because a higher team is prepared for several games over several days, and don't expect a contest against a lower team, while the lower team just comes out all guns blazing.
Yep can happen we shocked UQ last year we probably had the biggest lead of any team against them going up 4-0 then we lost 15-4  Grin
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Brettski
Quote from: Tenk283
Provided I can stop tarny smoking me up the line  Grin

I'm sure he'll be smoking more than that...

Got him!

i love it, even on the internet we're giving him shit.

from the sounds of the IVs it seems that competition will be good in uni ultimate this year.
cant wait till monday, how's the draw coming along bozza?
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »

It's often the case in other sports that the lower ranked teams can actually decided the make up of the top teams. Everyone is expected to beat a certain team but one or two teams slipping up against them can make the difference between 1st or 3rd for example. It also makes a difference in terms of the points difference. Even if everyone does beat UTS, the difference between making the finals and not can be the fact that team X only beat them by 3 or 4 whilst team Y beat them by 7 or 8.

To adapt a quote from the world of theatre: "There are no small games, only small players."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese