UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 23, 2020, 09:06:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To Melbourne - 2008 university ultimate  (Read 306430 times)
JMc
« Reply #270 on: August 24, 2008, 08:11:30 PM »

From a UQ perspective...

As a individual teams we might not be able to challenge Sports Unions to stop forcing students to take up 4 star hotel packages but as a sport we might be able to threaten that. We are the biggest damn sport at AUS, so why don't we throw our weight around even just a *tiny* *tiny* bit and ask AUS to step in and demand that Sports Unions release students from these stupid packages. The ANU teams have always been free to choose the best transport, accom and food options that suit our needs and that has been a important part of getting our small club to AUGs. If AUS is in control of so many of these sports coordinators and these packages are stopping students from attending then surely these two factors will work in our favour if we ask for change.

While organising a team to go down and play ECC, I dealt with the UQ Sport uni games organiser person. In discussion at one point, I mentioned that we were struggling for numbers, and that cost of the UQ package was a significant issue causing players to pull out. She was quite new to UQ Sport (it's got a stupidly high turnover rate), and was very willing to listen, seemed sympathetic, and most importantly seemed willing to work with us to arrange things differently in future years. June/July was far too late to change anything for this year, as they plan well in advance.
Therefore, I intend to start talking with the UQ Sport organisers from late October/November this year, and having some input into the creation of the UQ package.

I think we are too often confrontational in our approach (specifically referring to uni Ultimate clubs dealing with their sport associations). We're going to try working with them first, before we start having a whinge, because it would generate a better outcome for all if successful.

Not tooting my own horn, but a large part of CSU attending many tournies over the last three years is the fact that I used to organise everyone to get to tournies, chase up new players and all the other stuff that comes with running a club. I was passionate about playing Ultimate (still am) and used that passion to drive the club (and get others into playing the sport)

One huge factor in UQ's absence this year is the loss of Brett Matzuka. Uni Games was his love, as was the UQ club, and while he was there he put a huge amount of drive and passion into making AUG teams happen. Now that he's left, there's a big hole that we haven't entirely filled yet.

If it wasnt for AUG's  HOS may not exist...

We should have ditched when we had the chance...

Don't ditch AUS/AUG. We get much from the partnership. In UQ's case, it was largely a lack of forward planning combined with several key players choosing to invest their finances elsewhere that has seen us pull out this year. As Twats said, Mixed Nats didn't help either, but internal club affairs were the primary problem.

We'll be back next year for certain - we're still growing within Brisbane and strengthening the club here, and I'll be back on board for my final year of study (and playing on the Gold Coast) so short of nuclear war, there's no way we'll be absent.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 24, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »

Changing the topic...

Hey pissy has everyone now registered? Do you have the offical list of teams and players?
How will the draw work? When will it be released How many pools etc... How are the finals going to be structured?

Just thought i would ask lots of questions... Just to change the topic and cos i'm super keen!
Got an email this morning from AUS. Team list as of last Friday (so unconfirmed).

ANU
CSU
DEAK
ECU
FU (Flinders)
LTU (Latrobe)
MQU (Mac)
MON (Monash)
MDU (Murdoch)
QUT
RMIT
AU (Adelaide)
UBAL (Ballarat)
MELB
NCLE (Newwie)
UWA
USYD
UTS
UOW (Wollongong)

But as Bozza said, CSU have pulled out, so 18 teams.

4 of last year's quarter finalists not returning Shocked

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »

Yellow fields are booked for us. 10 fields in total, which is more than we need, so we can pick and choose a bit. We also have 18 and 19 tentatively booked, but apparently those ones are in ordinary shape.

ash_5
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »

i wouldnt want to play on that far north field...its a distance away from all the other games...
where would the tournament central be?? ie: TD, Medic etc?
pookie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2008, 12:49:35 AM »

Also my mole in the La Trobe squad has confessed that there will be no Gak. Smiley
BJ

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2008, 12:57:01 AM »

Yea I thought an incredibly low afda number was missing from their rego page Tongue
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »

Just 1/2 a cent on how AUS affects the Sydney Uni club...

AUS actually indirectly give SUUFA it's allotment each year, which we need to do....anything. When there was talk about boycotting ECCs, the SU Sport rep said that it was fantastic that Ultimate was taking some initiative, and that we were stickin it to the man, but we need to tread carefully, since AUS gives SU Sport funding, which they then pass on to us...

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2008, 01:56:37 AM »

i wouldnt want to play on that far north field...its a distance away from all the other games...
where would the tournament central be?? ie: TD, Medic etc?
21 is probably the best field in terms of ground condition. They're all not that far apart. Maybe 3-4 min walk from field 16 to either end. But even then we might not be using all of them. Ideally we won't use 4, 5 and 7/8 at all.

Frisbee Central (we're hoping) will be in the Pit Building somewhere (Aughtie Drive, between 15 and 16). If not in the building itself, it'll be somewhere around there.

Started nutting out the draw format today. Draw itself is probably a couple of weeks away. I've put forward the draw used for the Open division at Worlds (http://www.wugc2008.com/standings/div/open) as a starting point. My only problem with that is if you finish in the bottom 2 in your initial pool, the highest you can finish is 12th. I've got Simon Wood tracking down the draw used for 2006 Nationals, but otherwise I'll just play around with the Worlds one.

Another thing I looked at today was the public transport information on the Uni Games website. I don't know a lot about Melbourne PT, but was able to realise the instructions given under ultimate take you to the other end of Albert Park, when there's a station about 100m from the fields. I'll get on to that sometime.

moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:38 AM »

Pulled hot off the newswire. Might shed some light on the Gak confusion.

LaTrobe Uni yesterday ended Tom Rogacki's university ultimate career for lying about his drink-driving car smash.

LaTuff chief executive Tim Wise said the club decided Rogacki did not deserve to play for LaTuff.

"When you have your key player looking the president, the coach and their own teammates in the eye and actually lying to them, it really destroys the essence of the club," Mr Wise said.

"It was decided by the leadership group that this player actually doesn't deserve to wear the LaTrobe University Ultimate Club jumper, and that's why he's not playing for the rest of the season."

It has been rumored that up and coming player Lachlan McDonald was also in the car at the time of the accident. Further disciplinary action is expected.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »

Haha nice one Moz.

wisey

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »

SO now i know why you study media mozza....

THat information wasnt ment to be leaked into the press... SO not sure how you got hold of that...!!

Alas its true... we will consider gaks contract and whether to extend it for the 2009 season...

We have the depth and team structure to manage without the experienced worlds player.!

Will still have our eye on the prize and will look forward to the competition!
wisey

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

Thanks for info pissy!! Sounds good!!! counting down the days!
wisey

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2008, 03:57:42 AM »

Ok so cos im bored and super eager...

If the teams are ranked right..(i may have stuffed it up)

And they are placed in the 3 pools... It could look like this!

missed mac... dont know how... read pissys.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:24:32 AM by wisey » Logged
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2008, 09:16:40 PM »

simmo,

will we be playing under the 2008 wfdf rules at augs.

much love,

luwee
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »

Absolutely. The AUS sport rules state that we play under WFDF rules. The current WFDF rules came into effect on May 31st.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese