UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 23, 2020, 10:16:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To Melbourne - 2008 university ultimate  (Read 306438 times)
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »

yeah the Sydney scrimmage was heaps of fun even if UTS couldn't put in anything close to a Uni games team. Mac is looking a lot stronger than a lot of people have given them credit for and will be exceptionally strong at Uni games with Gamble there to lead the girls (she was absent yesterday). Even with a lot of new team members mac still has quite a depth of experience with players like neil on the team and TG directing from the sidelines.

I think Newcastle looked a little flat at times but most likely because of the epic drive, hot weather and having a big night Saturday (eh dan?). Losing ellie first game didn't help either. Come uni games expect them to step it up a notch.

Sydney uni looked fairly dominant all day but had some concentration issues throughout the day I noticed. Probably just because they were spanking us too bad or something. Definitely the NSW team to beat
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »

Scores for the Sydney scrimmage? Who's stepping up for Mac?

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 21, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »

Sorry osh!

from the best of my recollections

14-8 Sydney over Newcastle

11-5 Sydney over Mac

10ish-2ish Mac over UTS

8ish-5ish Mac over Newcastle

no idea about UTS/Newcastle game.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »

The Sydney IV was good in that it let our couple of new guys get some experience with the team. Apart from that it was a bit disappointing. The 4 people who couldn't make it for us were all handlers and then it got windy...so we struggled with people playing out of position. Then Ellie twisted her ankle and we were down to 2 girls. By the time we played Mac they only had 6 guys. Sydney were again the best organised, best trained and just plain best team. The Sydney-Newcastle rivalry has been a good one this year (which we have admittedly been coming out on the wrong side of) and I hope we get to have an AUG showdown. 
Tarny

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »

indeed, the newcastle usyd rivalry is developing nicely!
pete liddi tells stories of the old usyd/unsw rivalries of 100yrs ago, but an AUG's showdown would be something!
the weekend was a good indication of where teams can improve, even with the praying eyes of dan and henry who would walk across 2 fields "just to say hi"...
some people havent given enough credit to newcastle, i definately think they'll have a lot to show come next week!
woo hoo!
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2008, 02:51:24 AM »

But can they 'shake it' at the party? It will take more than a twisted ankle to get ellie off the dancefloor. Let's face it, the best augs showdowns occur at the socials. CSU vs USYD 2007, tight and bright night....brings a tear to my eye...

I thought the IV was useful in that we played in such furious heat after all the rain and cold of winter, took us out of our comfort zone and adapt to the conditions. The fields were poor, so on behalf of usyd I apologise, but with tarnys efforts with organisation and killer work on the bbq, a pretty awesome IV for only $12!

PS. See you in Melbourne Newcastle!!! bring iiiiiiit

suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2008, 03:12:36 AM »

Let's face it, the best augs showdowns occur at the socials. CSU vs USYD 2007, tight and bright night....brings a tear to my eye...

I believe it was CSU vs USYD vs UTS and UTS/CSU tied.
And if the past 2 USYD socials are anything to go by, USYD will pike early, at their own social  Tongue

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »

pete liddi tells stories of the old usyd/unsw rivalries of 100yrs ago, but an AUGs showdown would be something!

well, that makes some of us feel old - those of us who played 4 AUGs before Pete even picked up the plastic.

gather round one day, and i will tell you the tales of "Uni Championships" 97...

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2008, 06:06:09 AM »

Let's face it, the best augs showdowns occur at the socials. CSU vs USYD 2007, tight and bright night....brings a tear to my eye...

I believe it was CSU vs USYD vs UTS and UTS/CSU tied.
And if the past 2 USYD socials are anything to go by, USYD will pike early, at their own social  Tongue

Quoted for effect.

Feel the BURRRRNNNNNN USyd
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:57 AM »

Strange Henry, I don't remember seeing your face past 11pm at any of the socials... if you were there last week you could have seen me leaving scruffys last (like a good president should), after kate and suj decided to leave. Shame you missed it henry...

It is likely that there will be another (3 way?) strawpedo boat race at the party, but it won't be the same without CSU. Is there any team out there that can possibly match the falcons in drinking ability and dashing good looks?

suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »

Strange Henry, I don't remember seeing your face past 11pm at any of the socials...

Is there any team out there that can possibly match the falcons in drinking ability and dashing good looks?

And you don't remember seeing Henry's face past 11pm at the Paddy's two thursdays ago coz you left early.
He was there til the end along with the rest of uts + the token ranga/suufa/junior Max.

For the boat race, the 3rd team could be made up of people who wear a #69 shirt. There's one in every team.

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »

mort
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

suufa goes hard at socials AND at tournaments. we just went home early cause you uts folk were binging us down on the dance floor.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

yeah the Sydney scrimmage was heaps of fun even if UTS couldn't put in anything close to a Uni games team. Mac is looking a lot stronger than a lot of people have given them credit for and will be exceptionally strong at Uni games with Gamble there to lead the girls (she was absent yesterday). Even with a lot of new team members mac still has quite a depth of experience with players like neil on the team and TG directing from the sidelines.

I think Newcastle looked a little flat at times but most likely because of the epic drive, hot weather and having a big night Saturday (eh dan?). Losing ellie first game didn't help either. Come uni games expect them to step it up a notch.

Sydney uni looked fairly dominant all day but had some concentration issues throughout the day I noticed. Probably just because they were spanking us too bad or something. Definitely the NSW team to beat

Henry, you have no idea.... I was shot. Utterly and completely. But then again, it was a good training run for AUGs. I managed to throw some ok passes and cut ok... It will be better come AUGs. I spent Sunday honing a few things. Should be good.

Those 3 blocks Carol got on me where shear magic though. I learnt a fair bit from being hand blocked by her. I try to never make the same mistake twice when playing. That happens when you play Suufa though, if you are lazy or do not play with commitment, you will get punished. And punished pretty badly.

Suufa for me are a mixed bag. Sorry guys. You guys play well alot of the time with excellent consistency and depth, but then you play poorly occasionally. There were a couple of occasions where team cohesion was a real problem and I saw people bickering on the sidelines... Not really what you wanna see from a medal contending team. Which you guys are. Suufa is a team or the present AND the future.

Mort's callahan was a highlight for me. It really summed up your pommy nicely. However, that type of tact of flexing to take away the dump is fairly dangerous. Come uni games time, i'll be popping with chilly or teegs or amy and real handlers will be handling. Hammers over the wall into that huge amount of space will certainly cause problems. But i think mort, maple and the other wings are smart enough to know that.

What i would really like to see though, is some offense from Suufa. You guys are so capable, but some reason prefer to play pommy. It doesn't make sense, everyone on your team can throw and throw really well. Everyone on your team can run and run really well. I don't know why the offense from Suufa is more chilled and relax. Every time you play against zone it ends in one of two things, a score or a turnover from a huck.... I've seen every player from suufa take apart zones single handedly, Xave, Lu, Mort and Maple especially in that soft secondary past he cup are really dangerous. But when the cup starts to catch back up, the discs gets pounded deep to maintain the momentum rather than dumped and swung to the other side of the field or the zone broken again with smaller passes...

Four-team round robin held in Sydney today courtesy of the most generous man in Australian Ultimate Michael J. Tarn.

Sydney undefeated.
Macquarie lost only to Sydney.
Newcastle beat UTS, lost to other two.
UTS lost all their games.

Seeing very good things happening from UTS, even without their 'Great White Hope' Kate Rutherford. More 'good flow' less 'headless chickens'. Will benefit immensely from Tom Rocks (if he plays, and takes the big shots) and Rosie (who was absent).

Sydney were dominant, but surprisingly were having some team cohesion issues that made their victory over Newcastle just a little bit tougher than it had to be. Still yards ahead of every other uni in sheer one-big-Tasmanian-family always playing togetherness.

Newcastle had a fit squad with girls more than capable of matching up against our guys towards the end of the day. The Lavis-Chilly hammer set play - featuring special guest the Chilly-Lavis hammer - should see them through a lot of their tough games.

Macquarie managed to hold their own pretty effectively - girls played savage all day and performed admirably, even the new American lacrosse ring-in. (Lacrosse?? Like, with dogs? On the beach?) Missing some good players but coming together well.

The lavis-chilly and chilly-lavis play will probably be less featured. That was just to bomb us out of trouble. But really, who expects a 50yd hammer into a stiff wind? Neil's face was priceless though when chilly threw that one. His eyes were wide open, his mouth was slightly agape and i do believe he was drooling slightly.

Speaking of long plays, we seems to have a few people that do bomb it deep.... I do occasionally when I get a mad rush of blood and Chris-boy isn't looking. Stuey is a really good long thrower. Chilly will throw it, even if you aren't open Cheesy . Then we have heather and liz that have some really good throws.

UTS were certainly better than i've seen them. They had something. It wasn't world class, but it was certainly something. Henry threw some really great passes that just missed. Come AUGs, i think more and more of them will connect for BIG yardage. I can't count the amount of times I was broken in the UTS game, but i think that kinda spells out that UTS aren't afraid to mix it with the supposed "big boys". Speaking of Henry passes, you have to be careful not to blink otherwise that forehand is out and under your mark Grin .

Macquarie, hmmm. I would have liked to hear more girls are on the team... But i've just read Gamble is playing... Oh heck. I'm at a loss now. Mac doesn't need any more girls.
AlecD

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

Flinders vs. Adelaide Uni scrimmage: frisbee was the winner.

Score wasn't kept but both teams looked good. And played Ultimate pretty well. (It ended about even, though both teams had their runs after adjusting to blustery conditions and the opposition).

BJs hair is looking better now.

Adelaide's got some scary strength that should be able to blast some teams, and solid depth throughout so don't say you weren't warned Wink
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese