UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 23, 2020, 09:04:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road To Melbourne - 2008 university ultimate  (Read 306429 times)
Tarny

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 04, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »

full credit to flinders! absolutley took it to us (usyd) and we just couldnt recover from the defecit.
as well as alec and joel being unmarkable targets, sean lace on the mark was really tough. well done to you guys as well as AU for their bronze placing. hell of a week!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 04, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »

On G & G, how the absolutly uncoverable Carol Seeto, destroyer of zones, did not make it is an absolute shock to me...considering as a team one of our assets was the strngth and depth of our girls, Carol was ridiculously good all week....but hey, i am not a selector, what do i know of these things, i just shit talk.
Who would you drop to put Carol in there? Yes she had a good week, but not as good as Gamble/Ellie/Tegan/Jenica/Erin/Kaz did.

Props to simmo and morony for concerted heckling from the sideline during th final, a sterling effort showing th benefit of many hours wasted on utli talk provided much ripe material.
We do what we can.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 05, 2008, 04:29:03 AM »

Honestly, if I hear one more Sydney player pipe about how they didn't win the final, or how their women didn't make G+G, I will...

...turf another throw on universe point?

G+G =/= MVP, which would explain why Carol didn't make it.

I am well aware of the differences tiger, but having playd agaisnt most of those girls across the week (except the newcastle ones), i stand by my statement.
leighkay

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 05, 2008, 04:44:43 AM »

First post Smiley...

But what an awesome week that just passed. Aches and Pains slightly dissapearing, but still buzzing with energy.

Congrats to all the teams, especially Flinders for taking the #1, Syd for being tough in all the games, and for Melb for giving us an awesome game to finish it up.

If theres an award for heckling, I think it has to go to Adelaide for the final!

Alongside our bronze Wink. Big thanks to Coopers for sponsoring our glass, factory labelled,  "water" bottles for the grand final match Smiley

Adelaide Uni Ultimate
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: October 05, 2008, 04:51:30 AM »

Wtf? Did everyone miss the UTS heckle/cheer at the finals?
Henry put a lot of effort into that one Tongue

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
ash_5
« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2008, 05:42:50 AM »

I played against Ellie, Gamble and Tegan and all three were amazing for their repsective teams, so i think they definately deserve their spot on that team, i didn't get much of a chance to see the other three play though..

it was a great week of ultimate, great fun and great competition...
bring on the GC in 09!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »

As for G & G - it is always a point of controversy, and I don't know what the selection criteria are exactly, but my general understanding is, it's a medal awarded to those that would have been representing Australia at World Uni Games if Ultimate was an event at WUGs. With that said, if Ultimate was an event at WUGs there'd be no way they wouldn't chose Owen!  The same thing happened in 2007 with Mike Nield... and the same thing may have happened in 2006 with Joel Pillar (though I'm not certain if he was at AUGs that year).

I personally would like to see the team that would represent Australia standing up when they call out G&G not the players that got the most MVP votes, or were on teams that finished well - I don't think that is what G&G is about. 

The G+G is not based on MVP points or where a team finished (aside from generally ignoring the bottom half of the draw) but instead on the individual performances of a player during *that* tournament. Joel was at unigames in '06. Good players that play great during AUGs have a better chance of getting on G+G than great players that play average. And of course, not even the selectors will all agree on every choice.

Everyone has to accept that the selectors will see both more and less than any other person at the tournament and that it is completely unreasonable to expect a team that conforms to everyones experience of unigames.

so in summary: Of course its fucked, how else did I ever get on the team?
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »

...turf another throw on universe point?

Sweet burn on the under performing Ranga. Only male ranga not to make G+G?

Speaking of Ranga's: all questions to do with Gingers are to be directed to James Eley, the new expert in the field.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 06, 2008, 02:47:28 AM »

Wtf? Did everyone miss the UTS heckle/cheer at the finals?
Henry put a lot of effort into that one Tongue

The one about SUUFA being soft?

Nah, dont remember that one, sorry
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 06, 2008, 03:05:07 AM »

I was a big fan of Oxy's when the score was 13-6 - "Sydney are still in this! HAR HAR HAR HAR!"

Doobs and I were in pretty good form at the Melbourne v Flinders semi final - "Melbourne just need to play the same offense as Flinders...don't throw it to Freisey."

maxibon

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2008, 05:33:29 AM »

I never thought I'd make G+G until they called Max's name out - he played well below himself in every game of USYD's I saw (which was the final).

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tiger! And you thought I didn't read Ultitalk....
Meanwhile all I can say is that I am so glad they picked the G+G team before the final cause otherwise I would have been out on my arse. One of the worst game of Ultimate I've played this year without a doubt...the word choke comes to mind...
Flinders stepped up though I was impressed.

Ranga development in this sport is going off btw. Longest Day in Sydney this year will see the culmination of years of hard work with the Ranga All Stars Team. Open invite to all rangas (no strawberry blondes)...seriously come.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 06, 2008, 05:37:56 AM »

Tiger, Max, Shawn Robb, Ali Clarke, Keah...who else?

suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: October 06, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »

Ranga development in this sport is going off btw. Longest Day in Sydney this year will see the culmination of years of hard work with the Ranga All Stars Team. Open invite to all rangas (no strawberry blondes)...seriously come.

You should ask Kaija, UTS' "Great Red Hope"

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 06, 2008, 06:03:06 AM »

We have enough girls - Crossie, Keah, Gamble, Kate Howard, Sally Basten. The list goes on.

Guys though, that's difficult. Maple's in Africaland or somewhere spastic so he's out. Bother.

Mozza I rate your call against Jeley.

edited because i had only browsed over the other stuff

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tiger! And you thought I didn't read Ultitalk....

That's one pipe Max - I only saw the final and based on that I wouldn't have even selected you for Edith Cowan. Sean is a chump, on the mark he is about as challenging as one of those joke elements scientists invented that only exist for a fraction of a second.

I was a big fan of Oxy's when the score was 13-6 - "Sydney are still in this! HAR HAR HAR HAR!"

Josh Tabak (size S American import on Mac) had a good one on Lu Fearnside, after she bemoaned not having enough height to beat Alec in the air:

'Gosh, Calan would be pretty useful to have now, huh?'
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:11:44 AM by Tiger » Logged

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 06, 2008, 07:09:04 AM »

Guys though, that's difficult. Maple's in Africaland or somewhere spastic so he's out. Bother.
Does Maple have fantapants? Fucken hell. Just when I thought the bloke couldn't have anything more going against him.

And Edith Cowan weren't a bad team, you know. They beat some fucking awesome teams on the Thursday.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese