UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 22, 2019, 06:49:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Poll
Question: What do you think of the ads on UT?
I like them.  The offer cool products and services, and I click often.
They are ok.  To be honest, I don't pay much attention to them and rarely (if ever) click them.
I don't care one way or the other.  Do as you wish.
Ugh!  Get rid of them!  They are annoying and are ruining my UT experience!
No opinion whatsoever.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ads on UltiTalk - Your thoughts and feedback  (Read 12827 times)
Admin
Administrator

UltiTalk Admin

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »

Greetings UTers,

No doubt you've seen the various ads we've recently placed on select portions of the UT website.  It is our hope that by doing this we can simply cover the costs of running, hosting and managing the UT website.  We definitely don't want to dissuade members from using UT, and that is what this topic/poll is all about.

Please let us know your thoughts on the ads.  Do you like them?  Do you hate them?  Do you care one way or another?  Tongue  Any feedback/comments/suggestions you could provide will help us to better select the appropriate ads and allocate the right amount of screen real estate towards this campaign, while at the same time keeping it to a minimum so as not to upset our members.

Thanks in advance...

- The UT Admin

========================
UltiTalk.Com
The Place To Talk Ultimate.
http://www.ultitalk.com
========================
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

I run a fairly popular gaming forum and I have found that being more aggressive with the integration of ads being shown to the guests is far more effective than when you are applying it to members. Members come here to use the forums not look for information and are far less likely to click. Where as guests come to the forums not really knowing what to expect and if they don't find what they like they may look towards the ads and click because it interests them.

So I have quite a number of ad blocks running when users aren't logged in on my site, and under each I have a small animated image that says something to the effect of "Join for FREE today to remove the ads and have your say". By doing this it not only significantly increased my forum earnings by aggressive targeting the usergroup most likely to click the ads, but I also increased my registration rates, and improved the user experience for my members as I only show they a small fraction of the ads.

With that said in writing this post I have found the flash ads a little distracting - and I was even tempted to click the ad I pasted below. I'm assuming you are running ads with http://www.cpxinteractive.com - if this is the case are you operating on a CPM or CPC basis, and if you are running on a CPC basis it might be worthwhile considering Google AdSense which is far less aggressive and doesn't destroy user experience but also performs quite well and is flexible in terms of design and banner size options AND is relevant to your site's content. I highly recommend checking it out.

Damn online marketers know me too well - I definitely "cared to see the rest":

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »

Doesn't bother me. As long as they're not intrusive (eg: popups). I never click on ads anyway.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Admin
Administrator

UltiTalk Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »

Alright UTers,

Thanks to those who have voted in the poll above and provided feedback thus far.  Keep the votes and comments coming...

Special thanks to UT member Chris for his very insightful information on forum advertising.  We've implemented some of his suggestions, one of which is showing limited ads to members.  You've probably already noticed the missing tower ads on the right when viewing posts.  Those ads, along with a few others, will now only be shown to non-members (i.e. guests of the website).

Happy days...

- UT Admin

========================
UltiTalk.Com
The Place To Talk Ultimate.
http://www.ultitalk.com
========================
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese