UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 01, 2020, 12:40:39 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Regionals - players needed  (Read 18891 times)
linus89

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »

Hey Guys,
I'm from a team called Cannon fodder and we are looking for additional
players (especially girls) to play  NSW Mixed regionals In Newcastle. We are a new team,
light on experience, but full of enthusiasm. Any players willing to
play and has an understanding of the rules of ultimate will be accepted.

hit me up on [email protected] if you are interested...
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:42:40 AM »

WHere does the majority of the team come from?

ie. Where is the team mostly based?
Stafman

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:17:04 AM »

Mainly from Sydney.

But if players from other areas within the nsw region wanted to join, am sure they would be welcome.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:14:22 AM »

I heard on the rumor mill today that it has been said that beginner/not very experienced teams shouldn't go to Regionals, etc.

Just wanted to put it out there, that I think that is total crap!!
Sure a beginner/inexperienced team may get beaten (sometimes very badly) by more experienced teams, but it shouldn't really matter. If the beginner/inexperienced team can take information, skills and ideas from playing against better teams and use it to their advantage, I don't see why they should be excluded.

I can see TWO negative things coming from inexperienced teams playing in a competition.
1 - Getting beaten may break their spirit and these players may not have the resilency to be able to bounce back from these matches.
2 - They may be a team of beginners that can play VERY WELL as a team and may upset some teams.

I know this post MAY be a little scattered, but hopefully the gist comes through!!
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »

I heard on the rumor mill today that it has been said that beginner/not very experienced teams shouldn't go to Regionals, etc.

Really? I read in some document or something that mixed nats isn't supposed to be super elite like nationals but more of an inclusive thing. And yeah, if people get beaten a lot, I don't think it'd sap their spirits. For instance, Special Sauce started last year as a random last minute pickup team. We got thrashed at regionals but managed to win one game to scrape into mixed nats. Then at mixed nats we improved so much, beat our seeding and even beat a team that we lost to at regionals. Now fast forward to 2008, and 80% of the team is still playing Sauce.

So um yeah, back to the the original topic of this post... Any girls want to play regionals?  Grin

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
linus89

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »

Thanks for the support guys,
I can't speak for the rest of the team but personally i have no problem being beaten.... i played with UTS at ECCs and throughout the whole tournament we conceded 90 points against to about 10 points for... but the thing was that we were just trying to get that one point for the entire game...i guess thats why we got the spirit award... and we are so much better from the experience of playing that tournament....from the sounds of this team we are gonna be the same as that...determined to score... so any women reading this, please join up so we can play and get better...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:17:31 AM by linus89 » Logged
amy-boylan

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 10:24:37 AM »

Hey
yeah i agree with linus..i dont mind comin last or only winnin like two games i still hae fun and im learnin so much more from alll the games i play because you come up aganist different teams that require different approaches to playing aganist them..so girls dont be put off by people saying if your inexperienced you shouldnt play in tournaments like mixed regionals because how else are you going to get experience except by playing in as many tournaments as you can..so please join cannon fodders we really need you

amy xo
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »

Even open\womens regionals can be a great place for less experienced players to break it down, learn some skills, and party.

Don't let the man bring you down?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »

we are gonna be the same as that...determined to score... so any women reading this, please join up
ahahahahhahahaha

Oh grow up. All of you.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

I guess one more thing to add is that Regionals is just like any other tourney, except a certain amount of teams gain automatic entry to nationals. Simmo smells.

For some teams who don't think they will make it, it can be seen as a fun outing up in Newcastle (instead of travelling down to Frosty Canberra for Shenanigans)

If beginning teams weren't allowed to come to these things, CSU should never of been allowed to EUG's (in 05) due to them being VERY inexperienced and attending a Regional qualifying tourney!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »

What? You serious Boz? Thats ridiculous!

They should let any team that wants to play, play. Mixed Nats is shaping up to be a hell of a fun time (especially considering regionals is in my home town! WOOT!). It shouldn't be soured because some teams "aren't good enough".

Quote from: boz
I can see TWO negative things coming from inexperienced teams playing in a competition.
1 - Getting beaten may break their spirit and these players may not have the resilency to be able to bounce back from these matches.
2 - They may be a team of beginners that can play VERY WELL as a team and may upset some teams.

Lets take UTS for an example (They have already been mentioned). They played every game at ECCs with fire and passion and personally I was psycologically scared. They did get beaten every game, but they were louder than most. Only UQ beat them in terms of sound.... (Who remembers Arrlann? HIP-HIIIIIIIIIPPPPPP everytime a pull went up)

Anyway, point is. UTS are tough. Tougher than most. They never quit. Nor would any team, I think that ended up getting beaten alot.

As for point 2: "some teams" need to harden up. If they get pwnt by some rookie team, they need to look at their own game and not stoop to any low tactics such as hacking on the mark.

@Linus: I'll keep you posted. At this point, newcastle is taking two teams. There may be some women who can't find a team, or that I talk into playing later on (after selections). If they do wanna play, I'll give them your details and let you guys sort it out.
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »

Can we change this thread name to we love uts? I've always loved uts, and they're always the team I look forward to playing the most (nothing to do with their win/loss record, unlike some other players I still find the need to work hard when I play them) because the games are always so much fun to play and that's got nothing to do with "development" status... I've played against development teams that are no fun, and playing spiderpig last year was fun (and despite being the teams first year I don't think we can call them "development"). I'm really looking forward to playing with Sauce this year partly due to how much fun I had playing against them last year... I think I'm in the unique position of being one of the only players in Australia to have lost to Sauce at both regionals AND nationals (given they knocked out my regionals "social" team and then beat Manly at Nats).
So bring on the social teams I say, who would you rather have at the party? The team who're there to have fun at all stages or that "serious" team that "have to play a game tomorrow"... you know the one I'm talking about, that group over at the table sipping their waters and watching the time...
And remember that whole aim of growing the sport? If there wasn't "development" teams at things like regionals where exactly would these new players be playing and learning and improving? I'm pretty sure that relying on serious/competitive teams to bring alone new players isn't going to work (given I've played nearly 6 years and am yet to grace a "serious/competitive" teams roster... Hell this year was my first trip to Nationals)
I think in summary we can add 3 more "frisbee laws"
i) Development/social teams have more fun (normally)
ii) Everyone loves uts
iii) We always need more girls

Love, Hugs and Kisses
ANt

No sign of a point yet...
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »

Tanty for president.  That post was lacking a little on wordcount though Tongue
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »

this post may seem a little scattered but anyway.

so when i first heard about cannon fodder heading up to newcastle for mixed regionals i initially thought 'how stupid' but after thinking about it i can see how stupid i was. mxd rgnls is a great tournament to gain experience cause the only way that you get better is by playing at a lever higher than your current skill.  and anyway it doesnt direclty affect the naysayers so why should it matter?  we should also be encouraging growth in ultimate not get beginners down.  and yeah i know ultimate is very clicky when it comes to higher level teams so this may be the only way to start playing at this level.

however, (correct me if im wrong linus and staf) the purpose of cannon fodder heading to mxd rgnls is to gain experience, and if a team is full of inexperienced players i believe that it is difficult to learn much (or learn the right things).  sure you will learn a little from your opposition and just by playing, but i think you need SOME experience on the team to guide the learning experience.  put it this way, you dont get a first year uni student to teach first year uni students. you guys really should look into getting at least one experienced player (which is hard at a high level tournament cause most of the experienced players are in a team already).  if we look at special sauce, sure they had newbies but they had a few experienced players who could give immediate constructive advice to the beginners.  if you rely on the opposition to give this sort of immediate advice it may never come.

but damn, i like your enthusiasm. if you wanna do it, then do it!
Stafman

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »

the purpose of cannon fodder heading to mxd rgnls is to gain experience, and if a team is full of inexperienced players i believe that it is difficult to learn much (or learn the right things).....

but i think you need SOME experience on the team to guide the learning experience....

you guys really should look into getting at least one experienced player (which is hard at a high level tournament cause most of the experienced players are in a team already). 

but damn, i like your enthusiasm. if you wanna do it, then do it!

Lu-wee is right. The aim is to gain experience from playing against better/experienced teams. And although we are heavy in enthusiasm, we are fairly light on experience within the team. But as you say, its difficult to find experienced players who are not already on established teams or new stacked teams.

But if I am wrong, and there are experienced players out there who would like to take a leadership role within cannon fodder, you will be most welcome. Shoot linus a message or myself on    stafman1 at hotmail dot com

BTW, we are still looking for girls for Newcastle!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese