UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 18, 2019, 05:48:38 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: backhand release  (Read 10556 times)
Curls

United States United States

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »

Hey, so, I've always thrown my backhand with a modified power grip (i.e. like a power grip, but the middle finger supports the disc a bit).  However, lately I've been trying to convert myself to a pure power grip.  The only problem is that I can seem to get much forward velocity on the throw.  Almost all of the throw goes in to the spin.  Now I know I'm supposed to somehow "rip" the throw off my index finger, but I'm not sure how this should work.  Does anyone have any ideas that might help me get the right feel (and more distance in general...I'm a a big guy...6'2", 199lbs..so strength isn't an issue I don't think?)?
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »

Hey Curls,

Have you seen these articles?

http://www.afda.com/skills/grips.htm
http://www.afda.com/skills/throwing_speed.htm

They are great resources on how to throw.

As for your situation, I assume you're using the power grip as displayed in the article above (as opposed to the second version of the beginner's grip with the outstretched index finger)?  Assuming this is the case, I think you just need to use more of your core and arm strength.  If most of your energy is going into the spinning aspect, you're probably using too much wrist motion as compared to your arm motion.  As a side note, if you are using the second version of the beginner's grip, ditch it immediately.  It's great for stability while you're learning, but you'll never generate enough power for a good, strong, solid huck.

Look at the attached photos (courtesy of Scobel Wiggins) of Mike Grant from Furious George throwing a backhand.  His form is very good indeed.  Notice his big step out to begin the throw and how he uses his arm and core strength to generate immense power.

Hope this helps.

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Curls

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »

I meant the power grip with all 4 finger sunder the disc.  The modified power grip I'm referring to is all fingers under the disc, but with about half of the middle finger supporting the under side of the disc.  Anyways, thanks for the info.  Oddly my forehand comes much more naturally to me.
Curls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »

...Looking at that page of grips...I'm talking about the hybrid grip when I say "modified power grip"
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »

Yeah, you're using the best grip now.  The power grip is the best for power and speed.

I would also suggest going to http://www.ultivillage.com and watching the plethora of Clips-Of-The-Day they offer.  Some very good footage there for sure.

Best of luck!

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Mackey

Japan Japan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »

I use a (apparently unorthadox) hybrid grip on my backhands, and it's served me well for the past few years.

I get most of my power from the index finger hooked under the rim, as all(?) do, but my other three fingers generally stay slightly extended.  Think the hybrid grip pictured on the AFDA site, but with all three fingers (and more extension).  This lets me hold the disc comfortably in any position, and makes for really easy high-releases since I have full control over the angle of the disc on the lift. 

When I go to huck, I find that my grip generally will naturally switch to a power grip as I wind up (my fingers will curl)--this probably happens to a lesser extent for short throws too, but I haven't gotten real verification on that yet.

It works really well for me, I don't feel like my backhand is limited in any way...your mileage may vary though, as I imagine my hand size plays a role in how I grip the disc too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese