UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 02, 2020, 08:13:23 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Highschool Team Needs Help  (Read 11504 times)
manuyao

United States United States

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

A couple friends of mine and I have started an ultimate team for our highschool.  We all play together on weekends and stuff but we have never really played against a real team.  Only two people on my team have ever played in a league before this year.  We are currently running practices and stuff but we don't have our coach helping yet or anything because its summer and stuff.  This means that I have to run the practices.  Any advice for good drills or offensive plays or defensive strategies would be greatly appreciated.   
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »

I'm far from an expert on things but a flow drill is a really good way to prepare people for games (provided your team can throw semi-well).  It teaches them to cut, to stack (kinda) and to gauge each others abilities (how far they should cut if a certain person has the disc, how far they should lead throws etc.)

Basically you have 4 stacks of people, with the first stack being the initial throwers and the idea is to get flow like you would in a game.  The first person in the second stack makes a cut to break then back to open, receives the disc and throws to a person in the third stack that has made a cut deep then in.  This person then throws long to a cutter from the last stack who should've started running towards the disc when the cutter from the third stack was turning to come in and turns to go long as that person catches the disc.  After each person throws they go to the next stack in line with the last person (the guy who cut long) going to the initial throwers stack.  Hope this sort've makes sense, I'm sure other people can explain it better.

Another variation is the dump-swing-score drill which is pretty similar.

As for endzone plays, a simple one to get your team used to calling a play near the endzone is to just give each cone a letter (or a name, whatever floats your boat) then have a call like "Joe to Alabama!" which means Joe well make a cut to that cone and everyone stays out of his way.

Good luck!
manuyao

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »

Thanks man! Those will def help.  I'm definately going to do the second thing with the "joe to alabama."  Thats a really good idea.  Were actually already doing something that sounds a lot like what your first suggestion was so it looks like i must be on the right track.  Anybody else's input would also be greatly appreciated.   Grin 

Ok... so im currently trying to work on a good formation for our defense.  We have two guys that can outrun most people and run sprints for track and whatnot.  We also have about two or three guys that are really good for deep passes.  My other guys are all pretty much offensive oriented (good throws and smart cuts and whatnot)  I'm hoping on doing a sort of 2-3-2 zone defense because of that.  Any thoughts?
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »

1-3-2-1?
So there's already a fair bit on it in these topics:
http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php/topic,499.0.html
http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php/topic,498.0.html

( Embarrassed it's 2am here in sydney, and i'm wasting time on ultitalk instead of trying to finish this stupid assessment )

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
manuyao

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

er ya more like what you said.  ya cant really do two up lol. 
bullet_cale

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »

i'm on the team w/ manuyao, and we talked about this today. I don't really like a 1-3-2-1 because I think we only have one person who can play deep by himself (manuyao), but when he's out I would worry about us giving up points on hospitals in the end zone that he would normally break up. But I'm wondering if we could use 1 marking the thrower, the wall in the middle, and two deep. and have one person who's generally pretty quick and makes good reads defensively (cough cough, me, cough cough) roam around from the middle to deep. Does that kind of thing happen or has anybody seen it work at all?

"You must become one with the grass."
CodyTCT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »

I think you'd have a lot of trouble with passes down the sideline off quick swings.  That is, if the middle handler passes it to a handler on the sideline, they would have an open pass down the sideline until the wall or the middle ran over.

In a good zone, the marker and the wall should make it tough for the offense to get a huck off.  That pressure, combined with someone standing deep, should discourage a lot of hospital throws.  I think you'd be better off risking an occassional deep throw than risking continuous throws up the sideline.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:54:03 AM »

Cody is right about risking deep throws vs up the line passes.

Besides, if you play someone fast on the wing, they can always haul ass and help the deep out.

Ok... so im currently trying to work on a good formation for our defense.  We have two guys that can outrun most people and run sprints for track and whatnot.  We also have about two or three guys that are really good for deep passes.  My other guys are all pretty much offensive oriented (good throws and smart cuts and whatnot)  I'm hoping on doing a sort of 2-3-2 zone defense because of that.  Any thoughts?

A good formation is not to have a formation.

Mix it up. Check out some of seppo's posts about conceptual ultimate. This particular one is on defense. Very good stuff and the best way to play defense, if you can do it.

http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php/topic,410.0.html
manuyao

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »

thanks guys.  I didn't really even think about how we should just change it up a lot and force to only one side.  I was just planning on making everybody work their asses off and play hard.  A lot of the stuff on there would help us play smart and not just hard. 
JoshuaPark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »

I've mentioned this site before in UltiTalk but www.UltimateFrisbeeInfo.com has several strategies on their "Ultimate Frisbee Rules" page: http://ultimatefrisbeeinfo.com/ultimate_frisbee_rules.html
Torre

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »

You mentioned having a league nearby. Email/Call the coordinator and ask if any of the league captains would be interested in at least helping you evaluate your team, if not coach ya'll. Also- going to your local colleges and asking them if any players would be interested in coaching a practice 1x a week. It never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no.

That's how we get the majority of our HS coaches here in Chattanooga.

Nooga Please
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese