UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 26, 2019, 10:02:36 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: World Games 09  (Read 88082 times)
Skippy

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:53 AM »

The Huss.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:59 AM »

I love your indepth contributions Mish, always welcome.

Who would the the Huss replace? Mish you play with Liz and Huss, what are their respective strengths?

Or would you replace a receiver with Huss?
mattdowle
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »

A point regarding the stats for the dingos - obviously not entirely correct like Brett and others have said. I mean, I don't know how many times they thought I was Anthony....lol.

In our team it seemed the boys high on the list of stats were getting injured.

The D team was nailing the stats especially early on because they played heaps more points. If Gav didn't get injured he would have wiped the floor with the stats and he played only D. So for the dingos it was more the offense of the D team raking it in (contributions from Mike, Pete and Tim who also played O). The other guy on our team who would have killed the stats was Glover. He played less than half the games. He scored 6 goals in the first game alone. Similar story was for Tats who wasn't able to play all the games.

To me the world games team is less about handler types and receiver types, but more about speed, agility and play makers. Don't really need a team that is consistent and safe. At that level, all receivers can handle. If you have speed and agility you can mark both receivers and handlers and get free more easily on offense. For me also, these days I prefer to mark handlers - requires less running (yeah O handlers - haha) and although I don't have the agility of Owen or the likes, my reach can help make up for it a bit.

There are ten guys on my list who are the front runners and can be easily picked. Haven't thought about the girls yet.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:03 PM »

strike one up for the little fast guys Grin good points matt and another point do you pick someone who gets injured easily or the work horse that never breaks down. It would be good to make the final and still have all 13 player still fit but that is highly unlikely.
mattdowle
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »

Tough choice with the workhorse or gets easily injured one? In 2005, noone got injured (even me who would be classed in the injured easily category, so thankfull the selections had faith, or crossed their fingers - haha). We only had 11 and were expecting something much more brutal. I think with 13 players even less chance of injury. Games to 13 helped and brilliant soft field were a blessing. It was a weird tournament because I think only 1 person from the 6 teams couldn't play on the last day (Canadian bloke who rolled his ankle badly). The higher the squad numbers the more you go the gets injured easily (presuming they offer more than workhorse - if even, easy choice), but the lower squad numbers I'd go for the work horse.
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »

I don't know anything about the girls but assuming all guys are fit and available I'd pick

Tom Rogacki
Matt Dowle
Ant Dowle
Mike Nield
Pete Gardiner
Jonno Holmes
Tim Lavis (or mum would kill me) / Gavin Moore

Which I guess means Pottsy and Owen are cut
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »

I'm also curious as to who the coach will be...

Will Wavey Dave come back for another stab at it? Will Pottsy want to lead from the sidelines instead of onfield (unlikely, since normally he seems to go a little stir-crazy watching and not playing) I suppose Piers and to a lesser extent Fatty/Nikki have experience coaching at the Aus national junior level, would this be an opportunity for them to take their coaching to the Aus senior level?

I mean, I don't know how many times they thought I was Anthony....lol.
maybe this World Games the other teams will have figured out there are two of you.... Tongue

mattdowle
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 12:14:22 AM »

Tom, you might be jumping the gun a bit there. We both have to put our hands up for selection and then we would have to be picked - and with the calibre of people out there. Nothing is a safe bet
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »

Nah, I've been to Taiwan buddy, they have dirty bird. Thus the selectors should have no worries with your performance at the tournament!

But of course, you're right. I'm pretty sure Jonno is keen but aside from that I've no firm idea on who is interested. I did hear that almost none of '05s girls has thought much about it, so they might be a completely new line up. At times hard to predict what frisbee players will do. Being the team manager for 45 or so at mixed nats this year has been (and will continue to be) like herding cats. I hear your career might be pulling you out of Sydney, perhaps into the wilds of Western NSW?
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 01:19:31 AM »

I don't know anything about the girls but assuming all guys are fit and available I'd pick

Tom Rogacki
Matt Dowle
Ant Dowle
Mike Nield
Pete Gardiner
Jonno Holmes
Tim Lavis (or mum would kill me) / Gavin Moore

Which I guess means Pottsy and Owen are cut

i talk up Chris on my blog, so he cuts me from his fantasy team - some gratitude Wink

at least Lavis can spell his own name correctly, if not others... Wink

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:51 AM »

Don't worry Owen, I'm sure they'll let you tag along in an official "knowing the rules" position. Then whenever there's confusion you can come in and explain it to everyone in that special way you have that leaves everyone still confused, but happy to just let you tell them what should happen so they don't have to listen to any further explanation.
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 02:03:28 AM »

Don't worry Owen, I'm sure they'll let you tag along in an official "knowing the rules" position. Then whenever there's confusion you can come in and explain it to everyone in that special way you have that leaves everyone still confused, but happy to just let you tell them what should happen so they don't have to listen to any further explanation.

sweet burn. i had a shocker during that rule discussion - got totally confused by a foul call (offensive?) mixed with a stall.

that's why i made sure my teammates had copies of the rules - they've got to use them and keep me quiet.

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 12:05:35 AM »

I think it was a pick Grin .

Nothing is a safe bet

Nah, I've been to Taiwan buddy, they have dirty bird.

From what I heard,

Dowle + dirty bird = unstoppable.....

I think there are a few players that would be high on the list just by putting there hands up. Indeed, almost selected by saying they want to play....
carlie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 11:47:19 PM »

1. Diana Worman
2. Lauren Brown (Mama)
3. Ash Martens
4. Keah Molomby
5. Clare Hussey
6= Vivien Stettner / Belinda Kinneally / Rebecca McKinlay

Interesting because
Di - who knows if she wants to come back to Australia to train again
Mama - is she even going to be back from travelling the world by nationals and if so will she have done more than sprint for a bus or two (maybe that is probably enough)
Ash - i think she is interested and if injury free is a good pick
Keah - she's in, hopefully Johnno make the mens
Huss - will she be allowed to play? She largely Australian now
Viv - i see the same problem as last world games
Bel - not interested, she could end up with Viv's problme
Bec - not sure what her plans are

Then there are plenty of others missing including previous players - granny, winke, liz

I am wondering who has put their name into the hat....

carlie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »

"The AFDA board also voted to create an appointment panel that will consider the applications for coach, selectors and manager. This panel consists of;

Piers Truter - CHAIR
Mel Gangemi
Dave O'Brien
Sarah Wentworth

A condition of being on this appointment panel is that none of these people can apply to be coach, selector, manager or a player."

Well, that means Sarah will not be playing and neither Dave nor Piers will be coaching.  Interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese