UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2014, 10:52:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Frisbees Selection  (Read 17141 times)
Jomskylark

United States United States

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a few high-quality frisbees for free-style and possible ultimate frisbee games.  This is not for a professional LEVEL of competitions, but rather a personal level.  However, I would prefer good quality and professional FRISBEES.

I am not looking for Disc Golf frisbees, but rather just plain, fun frisbees.

I do not know if this is the appropriate forum, but I am unable to find a better forum.

I am willing to pay a reasonable price ($25 or something... it's a little hazy) for the frisbees.

Thanks!
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »

Greetings Jomskylark,

And welcome to UltiTalk.  Cool

You should probably get yourself a Discraft or two.  They are the best frisbees out there, and the official disc of Ultimate Frisbee.

Visit there website for a list of e-taliers who sell them:

http://www.discraft.com

I think Discraft also sells misprints directly from their website for a reasonable price.

You might also check out FlashFlight Frisbees.  They are GREAT fun when throwing around at night, as they have LEDs embedded in the plastic (in a variety of colors).  Check them out here:

http://www.playulty.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_10

Best of luck!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
adoboy327

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »

Are official games always played with Ultra-stars? I played with a Frisbee made by Discraft for Syracuse the other day, it was for ultimate and was 175g, but it had a smaller lip than an ultra-star.  It flew really well like any other Discraft I have used, but with the smaller lip it made flicks a little easier. 

Montana State University CE
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »

Really?  What was it called?  As far as I know (and as far as the Discraft website shows), they only make one disc for Ultimate.

Actually, they do have a J*Star disc for Juniors, but it's only 145g.  Is that what you used?

http://www.discraft.com/ultprod_jstar.html

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
adoboy327

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 01:10:59 AM »

No it was definitely 175g, had Discraft imprinted on it, and it even flew like an ultra-star, really floaty and smooth.  Felt like the same plastic also, but it was just a little wider and the lip and was noticeably more thin.  It had the Syracuse logo printed on it. 

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »

Ultrastars are endorsed by the UPA, but they aren't the same as discrafts. As mentioned, the lip is different.

On an ultrastar, the lip is alot squarer where it meets the body of the disc. On a discraft, the lip kinda moulds into the body alot smoother.

I'm not sure how that affects other people. But I found throwing an ultrastar weird seeing as i've only ever played with discrafts. Personal preference is the main thing there though.
a1214

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »

discraft is a brand, ultra star is their 175g ultimate model. if you are throwing a 175g discraft disc that isnt for golf, you are throwing an ultra star. i know the full colour prints like this: http://www.internetdiscshop.com/product/U-EARTH feel a little different, but all the white 175 discraft ultimate discs are the same...

this is a pretty cool blog: sifultimate.blogspot.com (check us out)
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »

However there is a disc made by another manufacturer for ultimate  Undecided . Seems I have gotten myself badly, badly mixed up.

That disc has the characteristics I described.... Apart from that, I'm lost  Huh.
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:42:04 AM »

There are a lot of 175g ultimate style discs floating around:

http://discraft.com/ultprod.html (Discraft)
http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/pulsar.html (Innova)
http://www.frisbeedisc.com/sports/ultimate/index.html (Wham-o)
http://www.discgolfstore.com/Ching-175G-Ultimate-Disc-p-14335.html (Ching)
http://www.discpilot.com/product.php?productid=12759&cat=272&page=1 (Some crazy New Zealandish one)

A lot of them are great to throw too, but it's off putting if you practise with one of these, then throw an ultrastar in a game.
JMc
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »

Add Daredevil to that list as another well known Ultimate disc (Canadian brand).
There's others around as well.
adoboy327

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »

So even though all of those are approved UPA discs, only Ultra-stars are used in big tournaments? 

confusion

Poland Poland

Force sensitive

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

This is something I will never understand... Why Discraft if the "one and only' disc? Personally I prefer Daredevils to Discrafts and Wham-Os. They seem to be made from a plastic of superior quality. They have more rounded edges than oter discs and they feel better in hand. What's more Daredevil offers a wider variety of colors and has a cooler basic print thad Discraft and Wham-O. Smiley

And still on every tournament in Poland whenever I try to persuade the opposing team to play the game with my brand new Daredevil they start whining and crying and emediately run a search party after a Discraft. Damn sissys! I can play with whatever disc there is if only it's not scratched right through the surface or broken. I'm just trying to show them that Daredevil also fly and that Discraft isn't the one and only ultimate disc!

How do you feel about other disc brands?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:35:20 AM by confusion » Logged

Cool Flights - The revolution is here!
adoboy327

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »

I played around with Wham-O discs for several years before even touching a Discraft Ultra-star.  I must say though, I prefer Ultra-stars to Wham-Os hands down.  Ultra-stars float and are much more smooth than any Wham-O I have seen or used.  My only complaint about Ultra-stars are the depth of them, the lip seems bigger than most of the discs I have played with.  This is just a personal preference thing for me though.  I don't think I have played with a Daredevil.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 10:54:01 PM »

Same reason there is an official size and weight of every type of sports ball known to man.

Why Discraft if the "one and only' disc?

Discraft make a disc that is used by everyone.

I'm not sure if it actually endorsed as the official "Ultimate Frisbee" disc. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify?
confusion

Poland Poland

Force sensitive

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 06:32:20 AM »

I'm not sure if it actually endorsed as the official "Ultimate Frisbee" disc. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify?

To my knowledge the only Ultimate Frisbee Discs are made by the 'Frisbee' trademark owner - Wham-O.

Cool Flights - The revolution is here!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese