UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:31:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nationals 2009 in Perth  (Read 74028 times)
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:09:42 AM »

ok, Twiggy, this thread is for you.

Who is TD for 2009 Nats?

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
ash_5
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »

His name is Rod Arnold, hes over from Canada but living in Perth now....
think his email is [email protected]
Twig

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

thanks owen,

I'm hoping/assuming given its a world games year, most people will be making the trip??? its going to be great, just imagine fields that have more than 60% grass cover...
pookie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »

its going to be great, just imagine fields that have more than 60% grass cover...

wow, now thats just crazy talk!

Its all systems go to get over there. We hope to return to the old tradition known as 'having warm up tournaments' instead of generally not playing frisbee and hoping that this would make us play better.

Queensland and Canberra are going to run some tournaments. We'll need to sort out some timings to ensure the season runs smoothly this year.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »

thanks owen,

I'm hoping/assuming given its a world games year, most people will be making the trip??? its going to be great, just imagine fields that have more than 60% grass cover...

IBeam are. Hopefully I make the team Grin .

I have two rookie questions: What is the national team from perth (or teams if there is more than one) and what team do you play for owen?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:29:21 AM »

Sublime (open) and Primal (women's). Heads Of State.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
JMc
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:09:43 AM »

Don't hold that against him too much, though.
Twig

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:11:33 AM »

we'll probably have more than just those two teams next year tho.

YEAH host's wildcard spot
carlie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »

I don't think the fact that world games is next year will have much effect on the number of players that head to perth.  The world games hopefuls are only a select few and likely to be playing anyway (whether or not world games was on).  The hardest part women's ultimate is convincing some new players or intermediate players they want to spend the money to go.  Not sure whether our ladies will make it this year.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

There is a suggestion going around to start a 2nd-tier nationals tournament for teams that fail to qualify next year. That way B-teams and smaller clubs will have something to play towards for the whole season. I imagine at the beginning there would only be enough teams for an open division.

What do people think of that idea?

-Tom
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:51:38 AM »

Aside from B teams, who didn't go to Nationals this year who would otherwise attend another tournament?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 01:45:41 AM »

A couple of Eastern region teams missed out and yes....the dreaded B-teams. Fakulti had the only 'pure' (ie, not the firestorm/chilly mixers) B-team that made it to nationals and they came last.

Could be a venue for teams like: HOS youth, Manly, Westies, Umlaut, Newwie B, Fyshwick United 2, third fire storm team, Armidale? the smaller South Australian clubs, Tassy, North Queensland, Byron Bay, Fak B, the B team of whatever rises up out of the ashes of barefoot (Well Heeled? Socks and Sandals? Steel Cap?)

There is a teeming undercurrent of players that want to have more involvement in the open season than a one day tourney and regionals. I imagine that given 'permission' as such to host a 2nd tier national plate comp, they could organise their own tournament and provide some more direction to non-elite single gender ultimate. Eventually, once it has grown a bit more as well, the women would also be able to do the same.

Of course, nationals being in Perth might drive numbers from the East down again...
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:35:40 AM »

I think the Westies were a once only thing. Don't think we will have the talent next year to compete, even at regionals.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »

I think its a good idea. Only problem is numbers. Who would wanna go if there are only going to be 4 teams there?

The newcastle B-team might want to attend a 2nd tier tourney, if it was near. But I can't see them travelling across the country for it.... Unless there is a real push by the players.
woodie13

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »

These would be the current allocations for Perth (as per AFDA policy)
E5
N2
S3 + 1
W1
NZ 1
Total 13

Wildcards (based on attendance at Regionals - NO host Wildcard)

If W have 4 teams of 15 (60 players) at regionals and the other regions the same as earlier this year:

Most likely scenario would be  W  N  E (for the 3 Wildcards)

Then if not taken up  E  then W  then N

What is the likelihood of each zone taking their full allocation??

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese