UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 19, 2019, 08:59:59 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tweak it out. Customize the look and feel of UltiTalk by changing your Theme Settings.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to get better ???  (Read 44645 times)
ash_5
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »

way to get back on Topic Dan...
play with and against more experienced players, i remember when i was training for my first Nationals, i was being marked by and being told to mark the more experienced players on my team (JD, Denyer etc.)
i think doing this really helped me, cause to be the best..gotta beat the best
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

Way to flog movie lines ash Wink Grin

*cough* Never back down */cough*
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

Play as much as you can with people better than you, and listen to everything they have to say.  I find my local winter pick-up is gold for this as you always have a few elite players out.

I like to use the head/shoulders fake in one direction and cut hard in the other (especially off of a stopped play).  Works 90% of the time and will force your guard to take a few steps off you next time.    When they back off of you, then you don't fake a cut, you just cut hard in one direction and are open for an easy pass.  Always take what your opponent is giving you, or force them to take something.  Sometimes a great clearing cut deep is way more beneficial to opening up the play than catching the disc on short gainer on a hard in-cut.  Talk to your coach/captain about maybe running some set plays when putting the disc in, it will help immensely in understanding cuts.

For getting open while the play is live, you have to keep your head on a swivel and watch the play develop.  Getting open on a cut comes in large part by anticipating where a continuation throw is going to be and getting there.  Gaining this field sense only comes with time and is arguably one of the toughest things to learn in ultimate.  When to cut and when to clear.  You should almost always be doing one of those two things as a cutter.

Marking should be aggressive, stay on the balls of your feet, hands low and don't lunge for any fakes.  Shuffle your feet from side to side to move with the pivots. 
layouttime

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

wow some great tips here for sure that I could definitely pick up on to improve.

The best one I heard is "Play with players better than you".  I found that I improved the most playing with better players.  And for the most part, most of the elite really good players are really willing to help and give you good tips and advice.

But my biggest strategy is ANTICIPATE!!!!  There's nothing more important in ultimate and any sport for that matter, than anticipating what might happen next.  Watch other players play when your on the sidelines, some players have tendencies to do certain things more than others.  You can also tell by their body language where they are looking.  Always ALWAYS try to anticipate where.

It's not all about just about how well you toss or catch.  It's also about understanding the game, your opponents and anticipating plays!! 
ultimaterob

Canada Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:35 AM »

Great thread Smiley

Just wanted to let people know that I'm developing a website which is dedicated at teaching people more about ultimate; specifically how to get better and how to help others get better.

I'm developing flash drills, instructional videos, writing articles and linking to other ultimate resources (like the Huddle). I'm also on Twitter and Facebook and I'm available to answer any questions related to ultimate.

My site is called Ultimate Rob and you can find all of my social networks from that site (http://www.ultimaterob.com).

Thanks,
Rob McLeod
Ultimate Rob
Sweet_Charlie

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 12:45:04 PM »

I'll put in my 2 cents from personal experience and mainly from pick up.  I'll just cover handling and cutting.  Please keep in mind I learn best from watching and emulating.

Handling:  When it comes to handling, I always watch the "designated handlers" of a team.  The ones that throw high-percentage throws that are always able to get through their mark whether by breaking a ridiculous mark or just floating a dump pass.  They put themselves in the position to handle for a reason, they're good at it.  No flashy flakes, no ridiculously low to the ground forehand I-O hucks down the field, just good decision making and confident throws.  It's all about learning from their years of experience and seeing how effective their body movement fakes are.  In my opinion, when all else fails a quick body movement fake will almost always give you a nice an easy high percentage throw.

Cutting:  This is a piece of advice that every player should know by now, but I'll say it anyways.  When you want to learn how to make the most effective cuts, watch the most "elderly" players out there.  They've more than likely played through college, enjoyed time at a club team, and ESPECIALLY the Master's players.  These guys have bad knees, need to take their prescription meds, and probably need to get home to take care of the kid.  Enough cracks at the old guys, they make freakishly effective cuts.  What they don't have in speed, they make up in field positioning, timing, and maximizing the efficiency of their movements.  The old guy always seems to get the disc even when he's being covered by some spry 20 something kid, why?  Because they know all of the tricks of the trade and by watching how they make their cuts and trying to emulate them, you will become more effective.
ultimaterob

Canada Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »

I know this thread is old, but sometimes it's good to have a reminder of the basics of the game so we constantly be improving our game:

http://www.ultimaterob.com/2011/04/12/6-tips-for-any-beginner-ultimate-player/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese