UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 01, 2020, 10:51:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Uni ultimate - looking forward  (Read 66523 times)
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »

also, one more thing. judging from all the emails i get on the nsw-ulty mailing list, there's a real drive to do coaching sessions at local schools, which is awesome.
but why isn't there a push to get frisbee teams out of non-frisbee unis? accredited frisbee coaches wit the help of afda or the state assocs. can approach uni sport offices and say "hey there's a sport you can compete in at Challenges/AUGs and if you gather up a bunch of interested students, we'll coach them over a few weekends"  that'll help get the number of AUG teams above 24 and make sure that newbie/party teams at least know the rules.

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »

also, one more thing. judging from all the emails i get on the nsw-ulty mailing list, there's a real drive to do coaching sessions at local schools, which is awesome.
but why isn't there a push to get frisbee teams out of non-frisbee unis? accredited frisbee coaches wit the help of afda or the state assocs. can approach uni sport offices and say "hey there's a sport you can compete in at Challenges/AUGs and if you gather up a bunch of interested students, we'll coach them over a few weekends"  that'll help get the number of AUG teams above 24 and make sure that newbie/party teams at least know the rules.

That's an amazing idea suj. Once I'm accredited I reckon we could get a clinic happening, since they already have fencing and yoga clinics. Why not Ultimate? Nice.

As for lack of fields, it doesn't even matter if the fields aren't anywhere near UTS. We still had to pay to use the USYD IV fields, so you could even use them (though don't, because they're shit).

Also if your new exec wants a hand with their first tourney, I'm sure we* would be happy to help and host a joint-IV.

*Tarn

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »

From a regional Uni's perspective, having to travel to 4 times is a little bit much for us. 3 Sydney and 1 Newcastle adds up. An idea could be to have at least 2 of the Sydney ones on the same weekend. I.E 1 Day Usyd, 1 day UTs.

You can't really count the Stampede as an IV either. It is open to all teams and you don't always play everyone (unless numbers dramtically drop to Shenanigan levels).

I like the idea, just need to keep refining it until it's workable. Dan, it's best to contact Hari as you may be encroaching on his gig a lil...

This is the type of stuff I need to know. If Bathurst were going to be a part of an IVy league, we would need to consider there point of view as well.

Boz, any word on the aims of CSU for next year? Reckon you'll get a team together. All uni's are invited to be a part of this.

I'm just spitballing here anyway. Just throwing some ideas around. If I get something decent together, I will send it off to him to make it happen. But I wouldn't go and do it without him. He has all the contacts and the clout (being the Uni co-ordinator dude). I'm just a lil secretary from a regional city.

hrm uts doesn't have fields, or a campus Cry
also maybe mac can host one because they have fields, and unsw can host one because it'll help get them back on the unigames train.

Something you will be heckled about. It will never be forgotten.

I have sent emails to wongers, but no answer yet Grin . He either doesn't know who I am or has deleted them thinking they are spam Cheesy .

there's a real drive to do coaching sessions at local schools, which is awesome.

Its already happening.

There are some clinics happening in newcastle. Most of you probably know Chris Warris. He is part of it. He does it in conjunction with Babble Sports management. They did some courses for teachers as well.

http://www.babblemanagement.com.au/itiller/index.php?page=home

Distance? How many unis don't play frisbee? How many of them are nice and close to you or any uni that does play?

@Brett, Funny how you nominate tarn. Is that your presidential delegation skillz in work there? Grin
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

Distance? How many unis don't play frisbee? How many of them are nice and close to you or any uni that does play?

No idea on distance, my world revolves around UTS Cheesy
Um but there's institutions i've seen a few years back like UWS (aug 07), ACPE (eug '05), Southern Cross (eug '06), Bond (aug '05), Uni SA (aug '05).  And ACPE is the Australian College of Physical Education. That seems like an obvious choice to frisbee it up.

And there's probably other eligible unis and colleges in nsw and other states that I have no idea about.

But like you, Dan, I'm just putting ideas out there.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »

Hmmm..... UWS, they won AUGs a couple of times I think.... Wonder where they went. Maybe we need to get onto Hari about getting some contacts to those unis and getting it out there. It is a good idea suj.

Keep throwing the ideas up mate Grin .
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »

Distance? How many unis don't play frisbee?
ACU, ACPE, Bond, Central Queensland, Charles Darwin, Curtin, James Cook, Southern Cross, Swinburne, Notre Dame, Uni of Canberra, UNE, UniSA, USQ, USC, Vic Uni

They're the universities that competed at AUG in other sports, and have no known ultimate presence (I could be wrong about Curtin and James Cook - I know they've had teams in the past).

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »

Nice one simmo.

UniSA, they have several campuses, one of which is Mawson Lakes. There are some ultimate players out there, however I don't think they have any organized games or league or team or anything.

Perhaps we should look at getting ultimate in those unis too? Surely there are some ultimate players attending these places.....
Chook

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »

It wouldnt take much work to get a team at Curtin, two american tried to get a team together in first semester and had some success. But then they didnt come back for second semester and Uni Games and as such the team folded.
AlecD

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2008, 11:27:01 PM »

UniSA have some good ulti players (they've a team in the SAFDA league, used to have 2 teams), but this year didn't quite enough interest or organisation to get a team to unigames. Apparently (I'm not really the one to comment on it, it's kinda second-hand observation) the nature of several campuses has presented challenges to consistent and successful growth efforts over the few years that the club has been running.
If UTS is a similar situation, perhaps you could provide some relevant (multi-campus) ideas that've worked and that could be applied at UniSA?

Southern Cross has some ulti players apparently (regularly with some US imports), and a good campus culture that sometimes provides a social league, just not a lot of organisation for an ongoing club or AUG participation (Northern Rivers hippies...  Grin).
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »

Hmmm..... UWS, they won AUGs a couple of times I think.... Wonder where they went. Maybe we need to get onto Hari about getting some contacts to those unis and getting it out there. It is a good idea suj.

You mean UNSW muppet
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 12:58:49 AM »

If we are going to target new university clubs, we really should have a look at those who are close to Gold Coast...

ACU (Brisbane), Bond (Gold Coast), Central Queensland (Mackay/Rockhampton), James Cook (Townsville), Southern Cross (Lismore), University of New England (Armidale), USQ (Brisbane I think, or Toowoomba) and University of Sunshine Coast (Sunshine Coast)

JdR is currently hatching a plan for Queensland unis in O-Week next year. Other than that, our best chances lie with UniSA (like Alec said), ACPE and Vic Uni. I don't know jack about ACPE, but Vic Uni are a big sporting uni and have been interested in having an ultimate team (it's the only sport they didn't have competitors in this year) for a while. Timill tried to get one going in 07 but found that multi-campus bit to be a struggle. We might give it another crack in 09.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »

If UTS is a similar situation, perhaps you could provide some relevant (multi-campus) ideas that've worked and that could be applied at UniSA?

I don't think we've done the multi-campus thing in a while. We have the City and Kuring-gai (which is pretty close to the city anyways) campus but I think the last time anything was done in Kgai was before my time. It's hard to cater for everyone when the core players are all City based. If you don't have a player based in that campus already, all you can really do at the moment is put the word out via that campus' sports office.

But I've asked Ev, our propoganda minister, to try get Kgai kids into '09 frisbee because that campus is actually closer to league venues than the City campus and they also have all the sport degrees.

gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:31 AM »

If we are going to target new university clubs, we really should have a look at those who are close to Gold Coast...

ACU (Brisbane), Bond (Gold Coast), Central Queensland (Mackay/Rockhampton), James Cook (Townsville), Southern Cross (Lismore), University of New England (Armidale), USQ (Brisbane I think, or Toowoomba) and University of Sunshine Coast (Sunshine Coast)

JdR is currently hatching a plan for Queensland unis in O-Week next year. Other than that, our best chances lie with UniSA (like Alec said), ACPE and Vic Uni. I don't know jack about ACPE, but Vic Uni are a big sporting uni and have been interested in having an ultimate team (it's the only sport they didn't have competitors in this year) for a while. Timill tried to get one going in 07 but found that multi-campus bit to be a struggle. We might give it another crack in 09.

USQ is based in Toowoomba.

Bond and ACU both have a couple of ultimate players. It really just comes down to motivation.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »

You mean UNSW muppet
Spirit
2007 AUG    University of Western Sydney

I mean Uni of Western Sydney. They won spirit last year.

When I said a couple of times, I was actually seeing UWS and UNSW wins and spirit wins.....

@Gref; that is pretty much the crux of the matter. Unless there is one person that is driving the club, they normally fall over.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »

UWS were at AUG's in 07 mainly due to Tim Gee helping the team out and pushing them towards greatness (which includes a win over CSU)

They are one of those Uni's that pop in and pop out from year to year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese