UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 06:14:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on drill(s)  (Read 6325 times)
Spoonboy

United States United States

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »

So theres two parts both coming from the fact that I have trouble catching a frisbee.

1st: My friend and I got bored at work so we started playing frisbee in the basketball courts. We were just messing around bouncing it off the floor and walls and all that and doing trick catches. Thats where I thought, would trick catches (behind the back, between the legs, etc.) improve my ability to catch a normal pass? What do you think?

2nd: I don't play on a team or anything I just find pickup games that I can go to and I play in those and me and my friends just throw the disc a lot. Does anyone know of any drills that I could use to increase my catching ability that use a max of 3 people to do?

Thanks for the help.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »

Generally, if you can pull off trick catches, you don't need work on your catching Cheesy .

A great "game" that you can play is one called 500 (anybody correct me here). Basically, two or more people stand in a pack. One person has the disc and then throws a floaty pass over the top of said pack. The pack then tries to catch the disc. Whoever gets to 500 first, wins. 50 points a catch.

The idea is to get used to skying people....

Its not super game-like.... But it is always fun to spike the disc at your friends feet when you sky them really, really badly Cheesy .
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:13:45 AM »

Hard to think of 3 people drills to use but you could do things like have one handler, one cutter and one defender and practice different cuts with the handler throwing the disc to you.

Actually, just thought of a good drill. I don't if it has a proper name, but we called it hot box when it was done with only three people (standard was 4).  Have the catcher stand in between the other two people who should be about 15 metres apart. The person in the middle runs as hard as they can towards one person who throws the disc to them (as your catching ability improves you can have them throw sketchy throws that are harder to catch). Once the person in the middle catches it they pivot and throw to the other person, then run towards them etc. Basically it's like a shuttle run with throwing and catching thrown in. It works you reeaaallly hard which means you have to concentrate really hard to catch and throw properly, hence it has a triple benefit (throwing, catching, fitness).

See how you go!! 
Scotty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »

So theres two parts both coming from the fact that I have trouble catching a frisbee.

1st: My friend and I got bored at work so we started playing frisbee in the basketball courts. We were just messing around bouncing it off the floor and walls and all that and doing trick catches. Thats where I thought, would trick catches (behind the back, between the legs, etc.) improve my ability to catch a normal pass? What do you think?

2nd: I don't play on a team or anything I just find pickup games that I can go to and I play in those and me and my friends just throw the disc a lot. Does anyone know of any drills that I could use to increase my catching ability that use a max of 3 people to do?

Thanks for the help.

1. I'd say yes it would, but i think that would take a lot of time and there are better ways to improve your skills.

2. I can think of three drills which would increase your catching ability with three people, two discs.

The first one involves three people, standing in a line about 10 meters apart (but adjust to suit). The Thrower, The Cutter, The Catcher.
If the thrower can start off with about 5 discs that is good. The thrower makes eye contact with the cutter who cuts, maybe with a fake or two,
catches, and then throws the disc on to the Catcher. The Catcher doesnt cut, they just stand there, its up to the cutter to decide whether to do a quick throw or take their time and focus on maintaining form. The Catcher catches all discs and drops the discs at their feet.

Once all discs are thrown, the Cutter and Thrower change spots. The Catcher is now the Thrower, The Thrower is the Cutter and the Cutter is the Catcher.

First time through keep all cuts to a fake deep, to pivot, and run to the thrower to catch the disc, then change it around to suit, double fakes etc.

-------------------------------------

Another is the "Box Drill" (triangle drill with 3 people).

Three people, two of them with two discs form a square (one part of the square is empty).

Sorry if the drawing doesnt turn out right. 1,2,3 = People, d = disc

2d    3d

Person 1 cuts right to receive the disc from Person 2. giving:

1d

2    3d

Person 2 cuts up to receive the disc from Person 3. giving.

2d   1d

Repeat. Be careful as the square will likely become deformed after a few goes around, Maybe mark the corners with cones.

The last one is simple. "No Look Throw".

Two people, one disc.

People start about 15 meters away, person without disc cuts in, pivots and cuts out to receive. When caught the other person
cuts in and then out.

I'd start off by telling the other person which way to look for the disc.
Spoonboy

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. These drills seem awesome, I'll try them out as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese