UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. February 17, 2019, 11:23:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
RSD syndicated. North American UT posts are syndicated on the newsgroup Rec.Sport.Disc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Second tier nationals  (Read 47876 times)
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:42 AM »

At the moment there are no plans to have womens teams this year because its unlikely there will be enough demand.

Not enough womens teams get knocked back at regionals. However it'd be too easy if a few teams wanted to come anyway.

-Tom
wally

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:40 AM »

I dunno Wally... I remember Bathurst last year, Standing in the takeaway store line with you in a dress saying VERY loudly "WOW you're so very very white!" to the albino guy that walked in... and the first thought afterwards wasn't "I'm glad I stayed up past my bedtime for this..."

You were most likely thinking "Indeed he is rather white.  What an astute observation."
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »

We could just all go to watch Nationals and get smashed every night.

Its not the same if you aren't playing....
Twig

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 02:56:14 AM »

the problem with the nationals party is that everyone is too soft... if your not playing for top 4 you should be drinking so much on the last night that come the final day you are playing ulti when you legally can't drive... altho i should be careful what i say because Sublime has been called obnoxious and antisocial for our antics this yr
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

if your not playing for top 4 you should be drinking so much on the last night that come the final day you are playing ulti when you legally can't drive...

That could still be called soft.

.05 isn't that much.... Even the morning after.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »

heres a tip...come last...then you dont even have to play on the last day.....go have shots in the spa while your A team are having ice baths and healthy dinners....bitch about why you came last....get obliterated.... get up at 11, drag your sorry arse to maccas and then die quitely watching the finals....

all the parts are alot of fun except the coming last part
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »

We could just all go to watch Nationals and get smashed every night.

Its not the same if you aren't playing....
Bollocks. I did that at Nationals 2007 and had a great time. Would have done it this year if I hadn't moved house right before Nats, and it's on my agenda for next year.

How can we expect ultimate to be a spectator sport if it's own players never watch it?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 06:32:12 AM »

How can we expect ultimate to be a spectator sport if it's own players never watch it?

He has a point... I'm not sure I'd fly to Perth to watch though... Although my olds were in Perth during World Clubs (for an army thing) and watched their first frisbee games there and thought it was pretty good... I'm not sure a NSL Div 3 final is a worthy second viewing...

I think the number of non playing player spectators would vary hugely based on where the tournament is being held...

No sign of a point yet...
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

I'm just not interested in hearing that in regards to those playing in a national level final. If someone has any semblance of respect for their opposition and for their team mates, they should act and play with some professionalism.

I only ever hear the people that cannot gracefully take losing talk about this sort of shit and its unbecoming. No one is impressed.
wally

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »

I'm just not interested in hearing that in regards to those playing in a national level final. If someone has any semblance of respect for their opposition and for their team mates, they should act and play with some professionalism.

I only ever hear the people that cannot gracefully take losing talk about this sort of shit and its unbecoming. No one is impressed.

The original comment was made in regards to those not in the top 4.

Whether or not playing drunk, playing naked, or mucking around on the field is bad behaviour depends on the attitudes of your team mates and opposition.  In some cases it may be OK, even encouraged.  In others it may be considered offensive.  As the games get more competitive, more professional behaviour is likely to be expected.

Personally I don't mind my opposition being drunk as long as they can still play and aren't rude (hello Endzonis captain).  I get bothered by players being particularly silly and not putting in any effort, even if it's for the wooden spoon at Terrigal Towel.

I myself have turned up to a scrimmage very drunk after a party got out of hand, and I hope my opposition didn't find it offensive.  What I expect them to find offensive is that I was five minutes late for the game and enough of my players were no shows that we didn't have a starting lineup.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »

if your not playing for top 4 you should be drinking so much on the last night that come the final day you are playing ulti when you legally can't drive...

Talking about partying here, not playing in the finals.

Next nats, you tell that to all the finalists that go out and party. I'd like to hear their response. Honestly.

However, if you consider the ultimate frisbee culture. You play ultimate, you congratulate the other team on playing well, you have some drinks with them afterwards. Its a social sport....

But it is kinda impressive, the team that party's the hardest and wins the entire thing goes down as a better team than the team that doesn't part and wins the entire thing. Even though the latter may flog the former anyday of the week and twice on sundays. But in all cases, they put in the effort. If they don't play properly, thats incredibly lame, regardless of how drunk you are.

Having said that, as the sport grows more serious, there will need to be some respect for their opposition and their teams mates. You don't see NRL players on the field hammered (or maybe you do....), but ultimate isn't at that level of seriousness just yet. But as wally says, if they aren't putting in any effort, that is just lame.

Some players need a bit of dutch courage. Especially if the fields are particularly bad... Laying out isn't much fun. A bit of booze to take the edge off isn't a bad thing.
Scotty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »

Talking about partying here, not playing in the finals.

I'm sure littletom is talking about playing any game, 3v4, 5v6, 17v18 not just the finals. The rules for Nationals 2008 specifically included provisions so that  intoxicated players would be less likely to take to the fields.

Imagine you've not had a drink all night and play the next day, your looking for a good hard game because there isn't much ultimate where you come from and one opposition player still has alcohol on his/her breath, slurred stalling and less field sense. I'd be more than upset if there was a collision , "Sorry mate, didnt see you there".....

Next nats, you tell that to all the finalists that go out and party. I'd like to hear their response. Honestly.
Canberra turned up at the party, so did Fakulti & Raging Wahine (but can't remember about the other girls). They were social, had dinner, and some had a few drinks. I didnt see any looking to be smashed though.

Having said that, as the sport grows more serious, there will need to be some respect for their opposition and their teams mates.

If we delay lifting the bar for respect of opposition, it will become ingrained in some people and hard to change. In my eyes the bar is high and should stay high, differentiating us from other sports.

You don't see NRL players on the field hammered (or maybe you do....),
No, but i have seen NRL players (first or reserve grade), observing the sport had no refs and they persistently asked if that means they can cheat.

but ultimate isn't at that level of seriousness just yet.
I helped the Firetails prepare for their trip to Vancouver, and i think every one of them takes the sport very seriously.

Some players need a bit of dutch courage. Especially if the fields are particularly bad... Laying out isn't much fun. A bit of booze to take the edge off isn't a bad thing.
If the fields are bad, then don't lay out.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 01:01:52 AM »

Weak...harden up danny boy Smiley

Laying out IS fun, it isnt easier to do drunk because it actually requires alot of intensity and focus to do properly (and hurts less if you do properly).

And if you are more concrned about getting a cut knee than getting a block or goal for your team then you jsut dont get it.

THAT is far softer than rocking up not hungover to a game.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 03:04:18 AM »

Point conceded maple.... Not laying out compared to not partying is wayyyy weaker.  Grin
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

I think Barefoot and Sublime really set the standard for ultimate partying at Nationals this year. Were you at Nationals, Dan? Maybe you'd remember.

They clearly were performing above and beyond the rest of the playing field. Perhaps the AFDA can release some sort of strategic plan to 'close the gap' between them and the rest of the serious semi-professionals who are lagging behind so. People like Pete Gardner, Max Wheeler-  they are just not making helpful contributions to the sport.

Every game at Nationals should be treated seriously- even if it's the wooden spoon match. I party pretty hard, as Canadian police can attest, but I only party to excess if I don't have to play the next day. Sure, Bashionals can have a more relaxed vibe, but it shouldn't be an excuse to get drunk, it should be a tournament to cater to the ever-increasing numbers of players whose teams do not make the Championships.

I like you Dan but sometimes I can't help but wonder if you were dropped on your head as a child.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese