UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 01, 2014, 09:38:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New people annoy me just slightly!  (Read 3872 times)
Vannixed

United Kingdom United Kingdom

May the disk be with you.

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »

I'm rather peeved at the new people at my club...they are all part of the schools rugby team and think frisbee is a complete joke, so they go to prat about and generally waste my hard-earned time! Recently I've found that my level of play has been dropping in the past few weeks that these moronic steroid-junkies have been showing up. My defence has gone to a ridiculous lack-lustered effortless lunge for the disk, my organisation has gone to pot, the on good thing that remains is the fact that I can actually throw a disk beyond an uncontrollable back-hand. I have Iron 5 coming up next month, and that friday lunchtime is the one time that I get an opportunity to play with the four guys accompying me to said tournament. Our coach welcomes them with open arms and it's so damn irritating that he does this, I just wish he would close the doors to these imbecilic neanderthals! They have no intention of playing the sport to enjoy it like I do, to improve on their skills, to enjoy the game and those around them...they go for a joke! Why do they believe that their friday lunchtime must be such a waste that they can irritate me and my co-captain just by existing!

So that was my rant, any thoughts or similar issues would be a welcome read...I'd love to think I'm not alone in this Anti-frisbee world!

Nick!

May the Disk be with you my child.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:00:48 AM »

Its easy to get peeved and fume at these people. Everyone does. The awareness of Ultimate as a sport is non-existant. You can see it in media reports.

Personally, i've had one fellow start putting the shoulder in every time I either cut or moved back into the stack. As a result, I proceeded to score on him with no mercy and do thing that I wouldn't do on a raw beginner with some enthusiasm.

However, in the end he realized that he was a) letting his team down by being a tool b) looking like an idiot and c) putting everyone from the club offside.

After he started showing a bit of respect to the sport, I actually showed him what to do and taught him about the game.

I found that these "tough guys", they aren't too bright, but they are atheletic. So things you might want to try are actually giving them a youtube video of people doing crazy stuff (shoulder high layout bids, length of the field hammers, people getting massively skyed), then actually go outside and show them how to do it.

For example, show a video of people getting skyed, then go outside and play 500. Then when you catch the disc, make sure you spike it at everyone's feet and act like it is a big thing. (it is, but new people don't know that) Its unspirited (so make sure you never do it in a game with people that like ultimate and actually play seriously), but its a great way to teach someone, they just got owned. Most soccer or football players will understand that when the disc gets spiked at their feet and everyone is cheering the guy who just caught it, they just got owned. And no sportsman likes being owned by the nerdy guy that doesn't actually play a real sport  Grin .

Maybe broach the issue with your coach and ask him to run a few drills at the start. Get him to encourage everyone to do the drill properly. Make sure you and your friends are into it and doing things right. Compliment the "neanderthals" if they do something right or good.

Trick throws are also a good way of drawing people into to the more glamorous side of ultimate. At this tournament i was at, there was this guy, who wasn't really into the games and was only there because his friend dragged him along. He played a point and i faked a high release past his ear then threw to an open reciever whilst he was looking around. He said that it was "cool", so I went over and I showed him some "trick throws", things like faking a hammer then holding the disc behind your back. A few hours later, I was walking to a game and this fellow came running up and proceeded to tell me about this guy he faked out completely and all these cool things he had done through the day. I stumbled onto a way that got him completely hooked on ultimate simply by being a clown and showing him throws no serious, self respecting ultimate player would use in a game....

The most important thing is to act with diginity. Nobody is beneath the sport. No matter how much of a tool they are, everyone is entitled to play. Always. So perserve, try and come up with ways to convince these footy boys that ultimate is a real sport. Try and come up with ways to trick these guys into thinking like an ultimate player thinks.... Big fat handblocks = cool, big hits = bad, layout D's = cool, shitty throws = you're useless.

Possibly don't be that explicit though. Positive reinforcement is better than negative reinforcement.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:03:08 AM by Tenk283 » Logged
Chef

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

Discuss your feelings with the coach and perhaps try to organise a serious 'invite only' training session for the committed.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »

Seems to be an issue with Uni teams, especially here in australia where we have poeple sign up to play uni games thinking it is an easy ride. muhahaha.

Fortunately for my uni we were blessed with an aussie rep for a few years and a Ex GB player as well. This meant that most of the newer players knew what the elites in the sport could do. The problem now is that we have lost almost all our talent and the sport is now just grinding away with beginners. What can you do? Not much i suppose be patient.

As for getting rid of the rugby tools. You could always look for other oportunities to play or do as mentioned above and ask for a closed training session.
Torre

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »

All this should be prefaced with MEET WITH YOUR COACH! your coach should be someone you can talk to and share your feelings about the team in confidence with. (especially as a co-captain!)

I had a similar problem this summer playing coed summer league in my city. I made it my goal that whoever i was marking would not touch the disc, ever. Challenge yourself. Set crazy high expectations for you and your captains when playing against these thugs. you might not reach them all, but you should be playing harder for any chance to.

you could make it a game: all the vets/returners have to do ##pushups at the end of the point for every time their person catches the disc(or they get broken, etc).

as for the Iron5- tell them that you and the co-captain are making this tournament invite only and those that didn't get an invite but want to play in the next tournament should step up their game and respect for it.

GL

Nooga Please
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »

Don't they make themselves look like tools enough by throwing the disc away and generally making stupid plays?

Don't sweat it.  Maybe out of the group there could be some good, athletic guys who just need a steer in the right direction.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:32:23 AM »

Don't they make themselves look like tools enough by throwing the disc away and generally making stupid plays?

mmm, they also find it hilarious and don't sweat it.

In soccer, you turn the ball over hundreds of times a match. In football, roughly the same thing.

But you've hit an issue on the head here:

Quote from: s0urce
Maybe out of the group there could be some good, athletic guys who just need a steer in the right direction.

I'd love to get some local elite soccer or football players into the game. It'd be awesome to see what some of them could do. I think it would be even more pronounced in the US where sport is in every school and you have high atheletic sports like basketball and gridiron that require alot of physical ability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese