UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 20, 2019, 12:04:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: About time we had a Nationals dicussion thread  (Read 60285 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:37 AM »

Regionals next weekend, so I thought I'd kick things off.

OPEN
South
Sweet Chilly (Melbourne)
Hot Chilly (Melbourne)
Heads Of State (Ballarat/Melbourne)
Karma (Adelaide)
Tassie Tiggers (Tasmania)
Discheads (Adelaide)

East
Fakulti P (Sydney)
Fakulti Q (Sydney)
Hills United (Sydney)
Hills United 2 (Sydney)
Fyshwick United 1 (Canberra)
Fyshwick United 2 (Canberra)
Wollongong (...Wollongong)
ManlyUltimate (Manly)
Barefoot (Sydney?)
I-Beam (Newcastle)

North
Firestorm N (Brisbane)
Firestorm D (Brisbane)
YUFL Allstars (Brisbane)
THOR (Townsville/Byron Bay)
Griffith Uni (Gold Coast)

WOMEN
South
Bush (Tasmania)
Indies (Adelaide)
Honey (Melbourne)
Team Box (Melbourne)
Ishtar (Melbourne)

East
Southside (Sydney)
Wollongong (...Wollongong)
Hills (Sydney)
Sugar Magnolias (Newcastle)
no No NOs (Sydney?)
Bra (Canberra)
Wildcard (Sydney)

North
Sultry

So far, 21 open teams going for 16 spots, and 13 womens teams going for...um...16 spots. Who's going to miss out?

I think the South Open division is shaping up to be a pretty good battle - only 3 spots going for them. Chilly seem to have split their squad evenly (kind of) rather than going A/B. Probably to make sure they get the 2 spots for Nationals. I reckon there's a chance that Heads Of State could topple one of these teams. They've got O to tha Shep, Piers, plus quite a few of the Aussie Thunder lads. Karma's non-presence in 06 is gonna hurt them...I think they might be among the unlucky not to qualify, but I reckon they'll end up with a wildcard anyway.

What's the two-team trend going to be in East - even split or A/B squads? And Barefoot smells a lot like Thong...

As for the women's division this year...it's all looking pretty strong. Hopefully they can grab the title back from those pesky Kiwis!

Anyone game enough to make some predictions?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »

How is Manly looking this year?

And who has retired from Sweet Chilly?

My guess, Fakaulti P (A team?) takes the gold.

Wink

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »

I know that a couple of big-name Chili players aren't playing regionals this year, don't know if that will harm their chances or not.  But yeah, South sure is going to be a highly competitive region, with a lot of untested players and teams.  Adelaide sending two teams, they've split too, but will it harm their chances of qualifying?  Tassie has decided not to split and just send their strongest team (with 19 players on the roster) but will it be enough?  What about home-ground advantage?  For the first time ever, Adelaide and Melbourne players will need to fly to the tournament (something Tassie needs to do every year).

And what about poor Piers, flying to Hobart from Brisbane.  That's gotta hurt for a REGIONAL tourney.  But I guess he's used to it, since he did it two weeks ago for a spot of bushwalking.

Also, I heard something on the grapevine about a rule that ALL the spots allocated to one region can't go to the same state.  ie: both Chili teams and Heads of State can't get the only three spots, because then SA and Tassie both miss out.  I'm not sure if this applies this year, or if it was a suggestion for next year.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

Dunno about that, Joe. Haven't heard that myself. It's only really South that's affected by something like that. Queensland and WA have it pretty cushy if that's the case. SA and Tassie should be pretty favoured when it comes to wildcards, methinks. Also, with SA, they haven't really "split" - Discheads has been a separate club from the rest of the SA player base for a couple of years now.

Seppo - Scamby is retired, Gack's not making the trip, Dan Rule left to form HoS (taking a handful of Chilly B'ers with him), Tao Browne's name is absent, as is Shingo's...I don't know about any others.

PiersTruter

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:19 AM »

It would be brave man who would predict anything other than Chilly to take 2 of the 3 spots in South. Then it is probably a 3 way battle between Karma, Heads of State and Tassie for the next spot. Judging by some of the Chilly / HOS warm up games, I personally think that HOS will round out the top 3.

There are likely to be 2 wild cards floating around in the Open Division, one from West (no regionals) and one from North (only 2 teams that will travel to Nationals (THOR and Firestorm)). South is likely to get at least one of these and maybe both, depending on what interest there is in the East to travel to Nationals.

The 4/5 game will be spicey at Southern regionals, because the loser may not get to go. Time will tell.

Piers
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »

Seppo - Scamby is retired, Gack's not making the trip, Dan Rule left to form HoS (taking a handful of Chilly B'ers with him), Tao Browne's name is absent, as is Shingo's...I don't know about any others.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure Scamby is not retired
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »

Ummm, I'm pretty sure Scamby is not retired
Oh ok. I didn't really know for sure...only going on what I've heard. Either way, he's not there this weekend.

Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »

Scamby is going to a wedding this weekend I think, with a few other of the Chilly players.
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »

Scamby, the Euchre Champion himself, is too YOUNG to retire.  That guy has a good 10 years left in him, especially with those bionic knees of his.   Tongue

And what's happening in the Gong?  They were an up and coming team just a few years back.  Are they slacking on the recruiting front??  And where is Joel Pillar these days?  That boy has some ups!

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »

The 4/5 game will be spicey at Southern regionals, because the loser may not get to go. Time will tell.

It sure will, and I agree with your predictions of spots, so 4/5 is likely to be an adelaide team vs tassie or vs the other adelaide team.
Either way, according to the draw that game is 12:00 sunday.  I reckon it will be harder fought than the final, whoever is playing.

Another thing I just realised is that with the 6 team draw, we're all in one pool and there's no byes.  The teams that finish second, third, fourth and fifth all have to play 7 games over the weekend.

Seppo, a better question than "Where is Joel Pillar these days?" is "Why hasn't he done the seedings for the southern region yet, so we can work out the draw for a tournament that is 4 days away?"
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »

Joely played with Deathstar last year and is now back with Karma

The Gong player base actually suffered because of its involvement with Deathstar I think but they are back to their 2003/2004 strength. Tom Flannagan has been playing with Chilly but is apparently retiring from frisbee to take up pro-golfing. (Thats what Boothy said anyway...)

And Scamby seems quite animated about NUFL discussions on AFDA-HP so I too believe he isn't retiring
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 11:13:16 PM »

And what's happening in the Gong?  They were an up and coming team just a few years back.  Are they slacking on the recruiting front??  And where is Joel Pillar these days?  That boy has some ups!
I believe the Gong has "reunited the band" from the pre-Deathstar days. Also, Pillar is playing with Karma.

Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »

For anyone coming to Southern Regionals that flies in on Friday night, we're having some drinks at Knopwoods, Salamanca and then having a round of golf at 7:00.  Your captain should have more details.
I'll be there, it will be good to catch up with a beer before we see you on the field saturday morning.

For those that aren't coming, I'll endeavour to post the results from saturday after I get home, to keep you posted as to the likely outcome.

For the record, I'm predicting:

1) Hot Chili
2) Heads of State
3) Sweet Chili
4) Karma
5) Tassie
6) Discheads.
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 02:27:58 AM »

For anyone who cares about the Southern regionals, here are the results from today that I know. (day 1)
Hot Chili beat everyone they played (haven't played sweet chili yet) Heads of State they beat 12-10, Karma got 3, discheads got 3, Tassie got 4.
Sweet Chili lost to Karma in a really close, long, game.  Final score 15-13 I think.
Tassie beat Discheads 14-7, lost to sweet chili and to karma.

That's all I'm aware of in the men.  Standings are now looking like HC, HoS, Karma, SC, Tassie, Discheads.

Girls I don't know as much about.  Tassie beat adelaide, but lost to ishtar and another melbourne team.  I think Honey beat Box.
We'll see how it all comes out in the wash tomorrow.

Also, the controvesy of the tournament is about timecaps.  Basically, no one knows what happens, and confusion abounds.  I mean, I know what happens when the siren goes and the score is 10-2, but do you think the captains do?  pshaw!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:30:10 AM by Forum Joe » Logged
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 02:47:07 AM »

Captains knowing the rules? Why did you assume that would happen?  Tongue Reminds me of a terrific heckle I heard over in Perth...."If you're ever going to bother learning the rules, the World Championships would be an ideal time to do it!"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese