UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 21, 2018, 01:18:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 244078 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:01:40 AM »

Already? Really?

Already the uni season is starting to take shape. There's a couple of tournaments penciled in already to check out...

Saturday April 4 - Sydney IV (Sydney, NSW)
Sat May 2 to Sun May 3 - Ultimate Stampede III (Bathurst, NSW)
Sat July 25 to Sun July 26 - Halibut 2009 (Brisbane, QLD)
Sat Aug 22 to Sun Aug 23 - B-Town Showdown (Ballarat, VIC)

We're introducing a new concept this year - The IVy League! This will be a nationwide competition between unis around Australia, happening from May till September. Stay tuned for more info on this.

University Games is also back on in the July holidays...

Sun July 5 to Wed July 8 - Northern Uni Games (Sunshine Coast, QLD)
Sun July 5 to Wed July 8 - Eastern Uni Games (Bathurst, NSW)
Sun July 5 to Wed July 8 - Southern Uni Games (Melbourne, VIC)

Then there's the big one...

Sunday September 27 to Friday October 2 - Australian Uni Games (Gold Coast, QLD)

Kevin Rudd's little stimulus package should pay for that! Bookmark the AUS website for more info during the year.

The decision was made late last year to have two divisions at AUG this year. Division 1 will be for the more competitive teams, who will have 2-3 games per day (9-10 total). Division 2 will be aimed at new teams and those who just want to party! They will have 1-2 games per day (7-8 total). This also means new teams will be able to bring a small-ish squad without getting run into the ground.

I really should stress this point - No team will be forced into a division against their will. It won't be based on seedings, past results, moon phases or chook lotto. Every team will be able to choose which division they want to compete in. This is something that will be discussed in second semester, so there's no need to stress about it now.

Currently the roster limit is at 16. I will be lobbying to get this changed this year to 18 to allow teams some extra players to reduce the risk of injuries and fatigue, especially in hot weather in Queensland.

At the regional Uni Games, clubs can enter as many teams as they want. However, at AUG only one team per university is allowed. This is a change from previous years where multiple teams could be entered.

Early tips?

BUUF. Justice. Fuck. Yeah.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »

Uni Hat tournament in sydney is going to be held sometime around the 4th of April... The boys are sorting that out, we should have some more news soon.
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »

The Uni Hat tournament is going to be on the 21st of March Dan.  99% sure it will be at Centennial Park.

The Sydney Uni IV thing is totally different, and may or may not clash with the Bra Cup

On a side note.  It's going to be pretty hard to convince people to go to the Stampede AND EUGs in Bathurst...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:31:55 PM by Henry » Logged
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:10 PM »

I think ECC moving back to regional NSW is a great move. Hopefully we can continue to get more unis participating at ECC and get back to the good old EUG days of ~15 teams.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

Why do Sydneysiders hate leaving Sydney so much?

BUUF's going to Stampede, and hopefully another Vic team or two. Everyone else should too. You don't win Party Of The Year twice in a row by putting on shit tourneys.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »

QUT will have a hot team again this year. I dont want to talk about on field performance coz that is a minor inconvience is what is a loose week.
ash_5
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »

Jangles has got it all right..its all about the off-field performance in my mind
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:36 AM »

I'm all about leaving Sydney. I think I'm even rego'd to play for BUUF at Stampede...

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Eels 88

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:54:58 AM »

UWA will be there with painters suits on (again)...

In terms of divisions, what will happen with G+G and medalling? Will Division 2 teams win medals etc as with all other sports, and will Div 2 teams player's be considered for G+G selection. I know that usually players are selected from the top 8ish teams, but if a superstar player is in Div 2 will they still be considered?

How many nights will QUT manage to stay in their accomodation this year? I'll give them less than 48 hours!  Smiley

Quick tips:

If UQ show, I reckon they will be strong.
La Trobe will be good and be out for revenge after '08's bad streak of luck.
Moz reckons "it will be harder to make the Monash starting lineup then it will be to win AUG".... But they said that in '08 too...
And the dark horses from South Australia (Flinders and UAd) will always be good. 2 of the top 3 teams - cant argue with that can you!

Anyone know if UNSW are getting organised this year?

Oh and now that Benny Haim is back in action after travelling for a year slaying Wolverines, UWA will be ready for blood.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »

I know it's very, very early (O-Week not being finished or even started for some) but, if we're going with this idea of two divisions, where is everyone planning to compete?

Serious hats on, people.

Macquarie will want to play division 1.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »

Newcastle will also play in Div 1. Early signs look like our team will be at least as strong as last year, hopefully even stronger!
Az06

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »

As long as I can get another Callaghan against a Newcastle girl I will be happy.

Tongue

But this time I will try not yell so loud about it.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »

In terms of divisions, what will happen with G+G and medalling? Will Division 2 teams win medals etc as with all other sports, and will Div 2 teams player's be considered for G+G selection. I know that usually players are selected from the top 8ish teams, but if a superstar player is in Div 2 will they still be considered?
Two lots of medals. One G+G team, both divisions considered. And yes it can happen - one of UoB's AFL players made G+G from Div2 in 2008.

If UQ show, I reckon they will be strong. - Agreed
La Trobe will be good and be out for revenge after '08's bad streak of luck. - Macca's at UoB now, Jenica is back home. Both massive losses
Moz reckons "it will be harder to make the Monash starting lineup then it will be to win AUG".... But they said that in '08 too... - Yeah, hard for Mozza

edit: B-Town will be Div 1
And the dark horses from South Australia (Flinders and UAd) will always be good. 2 of the top 3 teams - cant argue with that can you! - Wouldn't call either of them dark horses. No big losses at either club, but Joel might not show now that "Win AUG gold" has been crossed of his list of Things To Do

Anyone know if UNSW are getting organised this year? - Yes. Nadine C (ex-SUUFA and Southside) has taken over the club there. They'll be back

Oh and now that Benny Haim is back in action after travelling for a year slaying Wolverines, UWA will be ready for blood. - Whatevs

JMc
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

Major changes to team lists since '08?

UQ: GAINS: everyone, since '08...

BUUF: GAINS: Drule, Macca, Timill, can't recall who else... LOSSES: ?

LaTuf: GAINS: Possibly Eric, is he still around in sem 2? LOSSES: Jenica, Macca, ?

Who's got more to add?
ash_5
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:50:26 AM »

Don't know what Murdochs going to be doing, if we can retain alot of our players from 08 we'll probs play Div 1, but thats just my opinion, haven't talked it over with the team yet. If we don't then say Hello to Div 2!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese