UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 18, 2019, 04:46:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 268426 times)
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 02:04:29 AM »

Bathurst.... Orange....

Its all the same.
frisWEE

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:30 AM »

cept for dubbo. best zoo ever.

What did you say? Huck?!
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 04:37:40 AM »

Like Simmo has said before, CSU and the BozzBrown Combo (that's me and heather) have brought you the party of the year TWO YEARS in a row now! Now that HAS to be a reason to come to the Stampede where there will be an Ultimate only party that will be EPIC! (no mechanical bull though)

Don't write off going to Bathurst (which is 2.5-3 hrs from Sydney) just because the tournies are within 60 days of each other Smiley
I'll be there for both and I live in Sydney!

Seriously guys... who cares where the thing is played? Once you're there you don't notice... The stampede kicks ass for its fun factor and EUGs could be played in the middle of nowhere and it would still be insanely loose...
We play frisbee... all we really need is 8 markers and enough flat (ish) space to set them up and we should be able to have a good time...

I'll be at EUGs (one hopes) and would be going to the stampede for sure if I didn't have class on the saturday (but alas my hat trick must go wanting)...

As for moving to Sydney =)

Sorry if I come off a little grumpy, but I've done the drive from bathurst to sydney for 4 years now (even for 2 games of Ultimate and then driven back) and it's not THAT far.

I still can't believe I talked you into doing that...

No sign of a point yet...
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »

Bathurst.... Orange....

Its all the same.

There is a bit of difference Danno... I don't want one tourney that had poor fields to undo all of the work that I have done in the Central West.

Tanty - I really wanted to go for a ride :-P
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »

At the regional Uni Games, clubs can enter as many teams as they want. However, at AUG only one team per university is allowed. This is a change from previous years where multiple teams could be entered.

Why is this, Simon?

If a university has enough players who are committed to going to uni games, surely they should be rewarded for their efforts at admin/recruiting/retention.

Further, for the boundless hordes of enthusiastic beginners who want to go to uni games (looking at you, Sydney and UTS) it's a bit of a slap in the face denying (any more than 16) of them pretty big tournament experience.

One team per division?

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »

One team per division would be lovely considering that we recruit people partyly encouraging them to go to uni games, but then they show up as a relative beginner to a try out and realise there are already virtually a full team from the last couple of years who have been playing 2 years or more.
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »

If you're only using Uni Games to recruit with, then it time to start amping up other Uni tournaments then and make them awesome events.

But yeah, being able to send a team for each division would be very desirable.  Are the administrators really looking to keep the number down?

I wonder if the coordinator (Simmo) has any control of the eligibility rules and allow some flexibility say if a couple of experienced players from one Uni go to another Uni that doesn't have an Ulti-scene and gets a team together.  Could this evangelism justify bending the rules to let them come?

Also, what's the go with different campuses?  Can Griffith Nathan send a team as well as Griffith Gold Coast, or do they need to be one team?  Considering they're 80km apart, it'd be hard for them to train/select/etc.

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »

Hey - if you miss Uni Games, why not go to the Indian Rim Asian University Games in Perth in December?

www.iraug.com.au

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »

AUS really wants to get the regional Uni Games events happening again, and one of their moves is to restrict the number of teams who can go to AUG, to encourage them to go to the regionals instead. Eventually they're going to go back to qualifying for AUG - probably in 2011 when it's back on the Gold Coast.

That being said, a uni can have as many teams as they want at regionals. BUUF is planning to have two at SUG because, like Maple said, our AUG team is all but selected already.

It's certainly something I'll bring up in my meeting with AUS tomorrow, but even if we were to get it happening this year, it probably wouldn't happen in the future.

JdR - there is absolutely zero flexibility in the eligibility rules because the player's injury insurance comes from their campus sporting organisation. So if a UQ player gets injured playing under the banner of USQ, there would be no cover at all for them.

Griffith would be able to send teams from different campuses (Griffith Nathan and Griffith Gold Coast) to regionals but would have to compete as the one team (Griffith) at AUG.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »

AUS really wants to get the regional Uni Games events happening again, and one of their moves is to restrict the number of teams who can go to AUG, to encourage them to go to the regionals instead. Eventually they're going to go back to qualifying for AUG - probably in 2011 when it's back on the Gold Coast.

AUS should really pull its head out of the clouds and realize ultimate isn't like every other sport and by trying to package it in the same wrap as for football and all those other sports its just going to make things undesirable. The regional "uni games" are lame. They cost too much and you get too little out of them.

Last year we payed $110 to play against 5 other teams, four of which we had played at a uni IVs. UQ came to our regional games because queensland had two other teams.

If they are going to move back to using the regional games as qualifiers, what are they going to do for uni games? Say there are 16 team spots for AUGs. 4 go to Vic and NSW, 2 to Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia, 2 wildcards.

In NSW we have:
Newcastle
Usyd
Unsw
Mac
UTS
ANU (thats canberra right?)
CSU
UOW

UTS may not qualify, but they finished in 13th or something at AUGs. Which is quite respectable. They beat teams that would qualify under this scheme of breaking up the spots. I'm thinking especially of Queensland. Looking at the scores QUT (10-4)  and Griffith (12-8) both got beat by UTS.

Going back to the qualification scheme would certainly put the brakes on alot of uni ultimate development. Especially for those clubs like UTS that have an abundance of keen new players, but no high level tournaments to play in. Vicious cycle and all that.

Even if every single one of those teams attended EUGs, the top end is pretty well decided. How does that encourage people to attend when they know they: a) are going to get towelled by atleast 3 other teams and b) aren't going to qualify unless the knock off a uni team that came top 8 last year. Futility is the word. I remember beating UTS 15-0 at an IV in newcastle, it got our confidence up. But it really didn't help UTS any, they felt down and gave us a poor spirit score (probably justified). They didn't even have a chance to organize any offense or defense because we would get a turn on the first or second pass and then huck it past them for the score...

Quote from: boz
There is a bit of difference Danno... I don't want one tourney that had poor fields to undo all of the work that I have done in the Central West.

Thats the way of things boz.... Its like a plane crash, nobody cares when one lands without a hitch. But when one goes down less than perfectly, everybody knows about it.
Eels 88

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »

Hey - if you miss Uni Games, why not go to the Indian Rim Asian University Games in Perth in December?

www.iraug.com.au

Well praid sar!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »

I'll address your post in full later, Dan, but the capacity back in the day for Ultimate was 20 teams, and we never reached it. Still haven't, actually.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »

Dan you weren't around when EUG used to have ~15 teams and was more than just a qualifier for AUG's. It was great. With the top 4-5 teams fighting it out to win, the next bracket fighting it out for an AUG spot and then everyone else there just to have fun. If anything reinstating EUG as a qualifier will promote development, by providing a high class uni tournament locally that teams who aren't interested in attending AUG's will attend.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »

Dan you weren't around when EUG used to have ~15 teams and was more than just a qualifier for AUG's. It was great. With the top 4-5 teams fighting it out to win, the next bracket fighting it out for an AUG spot and then everyone else there just to have fun. If anything reinstating EUG as a qualifier will promote development, by providing a high class uni tournament locally that teams who aren't interested in attending AUG's will attend.

Well said Smiley

Quote from: boz

Thats the way of things boz.... Its like a plane crash, nobody cares when one lands without a hitch. But when one goes down less than perfectly, everybody knows about it.

Ripping on the fields in ORANGE is fair. They were terribly hard!
But by insinuating that they are exactly the same as the ones in BATHURST isn't fair!

Despite being within 60km of each other, the towns are VERY different and the tournies couldn't be MORE different!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:50:04 PM by thebozzman » Logged
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 01:10:10 AM »

I'm probably a bit biased being from a team that wouldn't have made AUGs if EUGs was a qualifier (we came last in 08) but excluding teams from AUGs that want to go would be pretty harsh.  Especially basing it on results from a tournament 4 or so months beforehand.  4 months is quite a long time, and a team can improve dramatically over this period (eg. UTS not winning a game at EUGs, then winning 7 from 12 at AUGs).

If what you're talking about is that you have to play EUGs to play AUGs (doesn't matter how you go you just have to be there) then that's fine, I can deal with that, it'd encourage teams to get together and form a team early on.  If you're saying you're encouraging development in universities by excluding new teams/players from tournaments (AUGs) where they could learn the most about ultimate is very poor form though.

Chris, what you're noticing is probably a decline in the quality of uni ultimate due to a lot of the talent finally graduating, rather than one brought about because of EUGs not being a qualifier.  It is very hard to have a high quality tournament when there are only 3 or so teams that are competitive, while the rest are largely still developing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese