UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. May 27, 2020, 08:43:52 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 319512 times)
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 05:57:54 AM »

Dan you weren't around when EUG used to have ~15 teams and was more than just a qualifier for AUG's. It was great. With the top 4-5 teams fighting it out to win, the next bracket fighting it out for an AUG spot and then everyone else there just to have fun. If anything reinstating EUG as a qualifier will promote development, by providing a high class uni tournament locally that teams who aren't interested in attending AUG's will attend.

That's a pretty decent summary there... when I "cut my teeth" on the uni scene EUGs was just as big as AUGs... admittedly the scene has appeared to explode in recent years, but EUGs was just as awesome as AUGs from what my hazy memories tell me...
Mac would go to EUGs with the aims 1) Make it to AUGs 2) Not to get to badly thumped by UNSW (and usyd to a limited degree) 3) beat ANU and UTS
AUGs then had the aims 1) beat the non-NSW teams 2) Not to get to badly thumped by UNSW (and usyd to a limited degree) 3) beat ANU and UTS
Clearly times have changed a bit (clearly letting other states develop a uni scene was a mistake =P) but don't write off EUGs because the last few years where a bit IVish...

No sign of a point yet...
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »

Well, my meeting with AUS today was pretty sweet. No massive surprises, so I'll just clarify some things that people have posted about and that were talked about today.

- The 'qualification' thing is PURE SPECULATION BY ME. It's not definitely coming back in next year or the year after or in 2015. That is only my guess.
- No two teams at AUG. This is being enforced across all sports because AUG was at risk of becoming TOO big and therefore unmanageable. Melbourne had 6,300 competitors and any bigger was just not going to work. Sure, a 40 team AUG would be awesome but there's only X amount of places in the country that could host that.
- AUS want a small Div1 and a large Div2. I want a large Div1 and a small Div2. This will be negotiated in Semester 2 once we know how many teams are coming.

I'm pretty tired at the moment and my notes are still in the car. I'll think of more stuff tomorrow.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »

UTS may not qualify, but they finished in 13th or something at AUGs. Which is quite respectable. They beat teams that would qualify under this scheme of breaking up the spots. I'm thinking especially of Queensland. Looking at the scores QUT (10-4)  and Griffith (12-8) both got beat by UTS.

Yes and i remember the 2005 UTS team that QUT beat 15-0. Teams change so quickly year to year but less from semester to semester. QUT has had a rather large influx of players ever this year with 3 league teams now, while most of them probably gonna play uni games the team will be stronger than last year with a couple of players with more than 6 months exp compared to 1.

That said i feel sorry for the Queensland uni teams that would have to go to NUGs and play the 1 other team 3 times and they have to go to qualify for AUGs
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 02:19:42 AM »

Speaking of NUG, Jangles, do you want to be Competition Manager?

Twig

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »

Hi guys thought i'd give some insight from the other side of the country

As you can imagine our qualifying tournaments have never really been that great, with only 4 teams EVER showing up and even then you can count on one being complete beginners that have been pushed there by the uni just to get points for the state comp.  Traditionally our regionals would be run late march to early april which really sucks when trying to use it as a development tool for beginners and unis new to the sport (ie ECU who came 12th last year have only really had access to one ulti tournament a year in which to develop).  With that in mind we approached Tertiary Sports WA and asked to implement a 3 tournament championship as a trial for ulti only, which with some negotiating they accepted. 

this works on numerous levels the least of which is that the comps will generally be run by the individual uni clubs thus allowing some revenue/fundraising to come into the clubs rather than TSWA/AUS.  also as these are tournaments already in the calender it doesnt add to the work load of our volunteers and increases participation at these events.  I'm not sure of the set-up you guys have over there but you should def approach your state/regional body and see if they would include tournaments that are part of the IV league as qualifiers/east coast challenge points.

Twig

(nb UWA still requires its teams to come in the top 2 from the TSWA tournament in order to receive funding from the Uni, which i find is a good system as it makes you take the comp seriously)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »

That's the long-term (2-3 year) thinking behind the IVy League, that it will eventually replace the regional Uni Games events. It's just that we'll need to have the structure in place and have run it successfully once or twice before AUS would consider it.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:12 AM »

Dan you weren't around when EUG used to have ~15 teams and was more than just a qualifier for AUG's. It was great. With the top 4-5 teams fighting it out to win, the next bracket fighting it out for an AUG spot and then everyone else there just to have fun. If anything reinstating EUG as a qualifier will promote development, by providing a high class uni tournament locally that teams who aren't interested in attending AUG's will attend.

15 teams? So a couple of teams from some unis?

As for a "high class qualifying tournament" promoting development? That I have some qualms about, us towelling UTS 15 - 0 didn't help them develop. It might help some of the lower teams when they play each other because there is real incentive to beat the other side, but that is there normally. It doesn't help when the top 4 or 5 teams go and cream them.

@Henry, UTS are a wonderful example. Chumps in march, a decent uni squad in september. Uni ultimate changes very, very fast.... Its going to happen all over the country, but i think the biggest issue for teams that want to develop is quantity for some of their growth plan. They can't just play one quality tournament and expect to be awesome afterwards, they need to play some low level ones, some medium level ones and some high level ones just to get the experience up.

- The 'qualification' thing is PURE SPECULATION BY ME. It's not definitely coming back in next year or the year after or in 2015. That is only my guess.
- No two teams at AUG. This is being enforced across all sports because AUG was at risk of becoming TOO big and therefore unmanageable. Melbourne had 6,300 competitors and any bigger was just not going to work. Sure, a 40 team AUG would be awesome but there's only X amount of places in the country that could host that.
- AUS want a small Div1 and a large Div2. I want a large Div1 and a small Div2. This will be negotiated in Semester 2 once we know how many teams are coming.

Pity about the no two teams rule. It would have helped alot of teams develop their player base. But we do have to remember, we are part of a bigger organization (with AUS) and we aren't the only competitors in the city to play uni games.

Large div 1 and a small div 2 full of teams that want to play in div 2. Otherwise there are going to be a bunch of teams that have the right to compete (deakin for one, Latrobe for another) and that CAN compete that won't be able to if it is a small div1. Latuuf were unlucky last year to be relegated out of the top 8 or whatever, we shouldn't force teams down to a second division otherwise they won't want to come.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »

Back in 2006, both SUG and EUG had 12 teams each. There were some teams from the same uni but different campuses, so they never interacted before the event.

I remember 2006 being an awesome event. Melbourne and Adelaide were clearly the top two, then there was a bit of a dogfight for the next 5 (Ballarat, Flinders, Monash, Swinburne and Tassie), then the bottom 5 having fun (Latrobe Bundoora, UniSA, Deakin, RMIT and Latrobe Wodonga). It would be great if we could back to the levels of those days.

Eels 88

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

(nb UWA still requires its teams to come in the top 2 from the TSWA tournament in order to receive funding from the Uni, which i find is a good system as it makes you take the comp seriously)

Mate, 'sif we take it seriosuly. We didnt even rock up to the match last year and let the freshers get the job done...
Twig

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 02:01:46 AM »

We still make sure the job gets done
Meegs

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:46 AM »

Wow, just reading this, I can't believe uni ultimate has changed SOOO much! I did realise that a lot of the big name players finally got off their arses and graduated, but I can't believe some of the other stuff!

I played for UC, so have never actually been to AUGs because no one besides me and Shaun could ever be bothered (funnily enough, since we left the uni, they haven't been bothered to even play frisbee, so much for all the work we put in...) But EUGs was awesome. The last one I went to was 2005 and there were heaps of teams there (to answer your question Dan, there were teams from different campuses of unis) and we had a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'm at uni again this year (online!) so hoping to get back into it if Newie will have me Smiley
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »

Haha jangles, is there much point even booking accom if your only gonna last 24 hours? Might as well cut your losses and tent it at the fields. Also means you get another 15ish minutes sleep in in the morning.

I was thinking just park next to the party venue then you can wake up and drive to the field. less drunk walking, more drunk driving.

Speaking of NUG, Jangles, do you want to be Competition Manager?

How much you gonna pay me? if you can pay my wage while i take some time off then yes. so that is about $900 for the week.

Otherwise ill have a chat to a couple of people i think might be suited to the job.

PS. no idea of the make up of the QUT team other than having Reece "suferboy" Stewart as our new captain i think. Side note too he is first year of a 4 year degree so we could have our longest serving captain.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »

Wow, just reading this, I can't believe uni ultimate has changed SOOO much! I did realise that a lot of the big name players finally got off their arses and graduated, but I can't believe some of the other stuff!

I played for UC, so have never actually been to AUGs because no one besides me and Shaun could ever be bothered (funnily enough, since we left the uni, they haven't been bothered to even play frisbee, so much for all the work we put in...) But EUGs was awesome. The last one I went to was 2005 and there were heaps of teams there (to answer your question Dan, there were teams from different campuses of unis) and we had a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'm at uni again this year (online!) so hoping to get back into it if Newie will have me Smiley

Oh, we'll have you meegs... Experienced female that can run and throw... What is not to like?

EUGs would be sooooo much better with more teams.

So, SUUFA has 3 team registered for its IV. UTS has 1 team in NSL, but i'm pretty sure they could pull a second from somewhere... We might get two.

If CSU, UNSW and Mac all bring one: that means around 10 teams for EUGs. Without counting ANU or some of those obscure unis.

But it is up to the individual unis if they actually wanna put in the effort and get the sides to EUGs. I can't understand how some people can think that sending more than 1 team could be bad for their club...

Quote from: jangles
PS. no idea of the make up of the QUT team other than having Reece "suferboy" Stewart as our new captain i think. Side note too e is first year of a 4 year degree so we could have our longest serving captain.

And then all the boys from AUGs08 all cried in one voice: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What happened to sam bird?
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 01:39:41 AM »

And then all the boys from AUGs08 all cried in one voice: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What happened to sam bird?

She is an accountant now. Who wants her to do their taxes?  Wink  That said we have some replacements on the way.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »

Oh well, we'll have to find a new "Miss AUGs"....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese