UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 06, 2020, 08:49:43 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 306705 times)
Skippy

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 07:46:39 PM »

And there you have a photo with two chicks, one with a great butt and boobs, and one with a great flick and boobs.
I don't think sexism is a problem.

How do you view the women you play with?
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »

Sexism is a massive problem in uni/intermediate ultimate. How often do you see a non-Nationals female player getting the disc thrown to them?

Well, first you pivot out, then you throw  Grin.

We had 5 nats players last year and 1 non-nats player... The 1 non-nats player was as much a part of the team as the five other girls. She certainly played better than we expected. And we expected a pretty good showing from her to start with!

In Newcastle our strength is in our women... When you come to uni games packing women of the calibre of Ellie and Teegs (the really really fast newcastle girl), of course it is going to be your strength. Our guys aren't super duper awesome. We have chilly and Chris Lavis, then the talent tapers off awfully fast.

So basically, it was our women that got us to such a high point in the uni games competition. And if you watched the AU game (where newcastle uni tanked hard), it was us dudes being scored on, not the women. Ultimately, the game is about scoring and not getting scored on. The women did their part, but us guys couldn't keep up.

Seriously though, the 1 non-nats girl at last year's AUGs had some awesome hands. I think she dropped like one or two passes over the entire tournament... I wracked up two drops in one game. Just a bit of comparison. Female Reciever compared to a Male Reciever.

I view the women that play ultimate with respect. Regardless of whether i am playing against them or on the same team as them.

If a girl doesn't get the disc very often it is because the handlers aren't trying hard enough. Most handlers will look off a pass if they think the reciever will drop it. In some cases, they think " girl = will drop anything i throw at this point". That kind of thinking is wrong. Most of the time, a girl can catch just as well as a guy. The only reason a reciever (guy or girl) should be ever looked off is if they are covered, or the wind makes the throw impossible (or you just can't get it to them). Certainly, I'd put the game in the hands of a female reciever just as often as I would put it in the hands of a male reciever. Why? Because it is mixed ultimate and the game is to win.

A girl could win the game just the same as a guy could win the game. And if you have a chance to win now, why put it on chance that you MIGHT be able to win later?
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »

How often do you see a non-Nationals female player getting the disc thrown to them?

ALL OF THE TIME... when you're from bathurst!
:-D
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009, 03:22:28 AM »

How often do you see a non-Nationals female player getting the disc thrown to them?

ALL OF THE TIME... when you're from bathurst!
:-D

Depends on the thrower... Axe will quite happily look off any girl who hasn't played for Australia before (and possibly a few of them too)...

I still have small concerns about the number of girls at Mac (2 as of last count)... "Back in the old days" we seemed to have heaps, then they graduate (as expected... guys graduate too). It seems like clubs with lots of girls seem to attract girls and when you're low on them there seem to be fewer about...

I have visions of the Mac big wigs discussion "Hey Wongers, we need some girls don't we?" "Yeah Tiger we do..." "So where do we get them?" "dunno..." *awkward silence* "Lets go to Fakulti training..."

TG intended to lurk outside the netball/volleyball team trainings at UWS for those that didn't make the cut if he needed to pick up girls (possibly for the UWS team)...

No sign of a point yet...
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2009, 06:15:38 AM »

Yeah that's a tactic I used back in the day if it was close to SUG and we were up shit creek.

We've done quite well this year recruiting girls because that was what we focused on. Generally I've found that you need to take a more personal approach with girls - the same person that tells them about the sport is the same one that meets them at training and shows them how to throw and invites them along the next time.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Eels 88

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »

We've done quite well this year recruiting girls because that was what we focused on. Generally I've found that you need to take a more personal approach with girls - the same person that tells them about the sport is the same one that meets them at training and shows them how to throw and invites them along the next time.

UWA has put a big emphasis on recuiting women too. Although admittedly the recruitment tactic of Twiggy taking his shirt off may have missed the mark by a little bit...

Although UWA Ultimate did win best stall at O-Day....
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »

TG intended to lurk outside the netball/volleyball team trainings at UWS for those that didn't make the cut if he needed to pick up girls (possibly for the UWS team)...

In the bushes?  Grin Cheesy Grin

There are good years and bad years for ultimate. Two years ago there were 4 super keen dudes sign up to play ultimate at newcastle uni. They were myself, chilly and two others. Last year, we had sweet fuck all in terms of "keen" players. We ended up picking up one dude at the end of last year and that was about it. This year there are couple that might hang around, but it seems to hang heavily on who they are as people.

I've used every tactic from bribery to "I don't care what you do" to "please come, we love you". Doesn't seem to have an effect on the end decision. So I teach everyone equally and hope to god someone is going to pick up the sport.

I pitched uni games harder this year as well and we got less result compared to last year. Melb > Queensland, go figure.... I refuse to believe it. THere are good years and bad years.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »

hehe just got 3 new girls for one of my monday night teams all over 6 foot tall and athletic and better yet can catch. i havent scored a goal for that team in weeks. thrown plenty though.
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »

just got 3 new girls for one of my monday night teams

How many teams do you have?

wetnose

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »

just got 3 new girls for one of my monday night teams

How many teams do you have?

QUT has 3 league teams, up from barely 1 previously.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »

So QUT is going to keep following the "top 10 in odd years, bottom in even years" trend?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
wetnose

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »

So QUT is going to keep following the "top 10 in odd years, bottom in even years" trend?
Yes, which also works out as "top 10 in AUG's held in QLD, bottom in anything we have to travel to"
Meegs

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »

I don't think sexism is a problem.
Sexism is a massive problem in uni/intermediate ultimate. How often do you see a non-Nationals female player getting the disc thrown to them?

Or a nationals player for that matter?? I'm refusing to play league anymore because there's no point! Beginner guys won't throw to me or any other girl on the team. It happens time and time again.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2009, 07:45:42 PM »

Well yeh but that is only because we dont have med students. As for the 3 league teams it is sort 2 and half as we have 2 div 2 teams and then they combine and add some to form a div 1 team. yeh 2 game monday nights!!!! They are still stuck with me as captain though so they haven't learnt from their mistakes.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

Or a nationals player for that matter?? I'm refusing to play league anymore because there's no point! Beginner guys won't throw to me or any other girl on the team. It happens time and time again.

2 options: play on a team with a strong captain that kicks guys that do that.
Or: "educate" the chumps on what mixed ultimate is really about...

Everyone on the team should be looking to advance the disc and pass it to the "good" players where possible. You can pound goals with the best of them (as can basically every nats level player) and if I throw you the disc so you can pound goals (or score them) I figure i've done my job and i've done good for the team. Maybe you should let these beginners know that...

Or be evil and look off them  Grin  Cheesy Grin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese