UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 06, 2020, 05:39:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 326183 times)
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »

I've been in contact with AUS today and apparently we have ELEVEN teams signed up Smiley
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 04:09:08 AM »

@Tiger: That sucks. you could try asking AUS to talk to Mac about it (Deakin did that last year's AUG's to get our cost slashed in nearly half - originally $600 for a tourney in a backyard almost). I'm sure Pissy there would be willing to do that again Tongue
Different story there, Shaun. DUSA is still a student-led organisation but MacSport is privately run. I can definitely assisted Wongers in pursuing it but we might not be so lucky.

Apparently it's being held at Runaway Bay sports fields at the gold coast or something Simmo

http://www.unigames.com.au/_uploads/res/1_2529.pdf
Ah ok, didn't know it was confirmed.

In other news, make sure you're there for the opening ceremony on the Sunday - it will be awesome! Can't give away too much but the words 'theme' and 'park' are being thrown around.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
rodes

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »

SUG: Ballarat, Latrobe and Deakin have committed to going because their campus sport body has said 'no SUG, no AUG' which is harsh but it's their job to increase participation in the regional events. New club at Vic Uni should be there. No idea about the SA unis (Rodes? Joel?)

We got a similar story; no SUG = Div 2 at AUG. AU will send a team to SUG although I don't know how representative it will be of the AUG squad. I know for one that I won't be able to attend SUG if I want to be able to get time off work for AUG and Mixed Nats.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »

We wanted to send 2 teams to eug, but SU Sport wont allowus. Bretttried his best, but apparently it means more staff that they have to povide for supervision and other junk, so no go. that kinda sucks for us, meaning alot of keen players will miss out, and i thinka B team would have suprisingly competitive, but we'll nver know.
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »

So have those stimulus payments arrived yet?

AlecD

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

On the talk of unigames costs (and wording up your uni sports association):

it's definitely worth mentioning that many students (helpful if you can cite those in your club) are elite competitors, i.e. play at a national level (if not international) and that this is all self-funded. Hence, unigames comes after those competitions, so if the uni sports associations want the strongest possible team from their uni to attend, with the best chance of success, they need to cost participation respectively. Many unis offer scholarships that include some limited support for unigames costs (Flinders does), but generally it's only one or two elite players per sport.

Luckily we've had a great relationship with FUSA over the past few years, and with this they always give us the opportunity for input about the type of accommodation and other arrangements for unigames.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2009, 02:56:13 AM »

We wanted to send 2 teams to eug, but SU Sport wont allowus. Bretttried his best, but apparently it means more staff that they have to povide for supervision and other junk, so no go. that kinda sucks for us, meaning alot of keen players will miss out, and i thinka B team would have suprisingly competitive, but we'll nver know.

Dave, <b>ask Simmo to chase Brettski up to chase this.</b>
That's a bunch of shit that the SU won't let you do this! Tell them Bozza will look after the second team!!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2009, 06:26:35 AM »

I've been in contact with AUS today and apparently we have ELEVEN teams signed up Smiley

WOOT!!!!

I bet you Nudiscs wasn't on that list  Grin .

That bites the big one. Suufa is THE biggest ultimate frisbee club in australia and a second team from suufa would pwn well over half the teams in australia. Makes no sense SU would want to handicap their strong (bordering on dominant) position in the sport.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:26 AM »

Much like Mac, SU Sport is a privately run organisation. If they don't want to expend money on extra stuff, then they don't have to. It may be worth having a word to them saying that a 2nd ultimate team doesn't require extra personnel (trainers, coaches, etc), but my guess is they have just applied a blanket policy to all sports.

Maple, who spoke to the SU Sport people (I'm assuming Brett did)? I could draft a letter to them if you want. Just need to know a few more details on their stance.

Bozza, do you mind letting me know via email who those 11 teams are? I'm uber-keen to make contact with new teams this year as early as possible to try and hook them in long term.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

yeah, brett did, you would have to speak to him about any actual details...i was just proliferating internet time wastage material. they dont give a shit about coaches and stuff as far as i know, its more to do with more people = more staff required. I dont know whether that is a finacial decision or a hassle one, apparentl it was a pretty firm no, but again no idea. If you wanna draft a letter to them better do it fast (ie email brett...who will probably read this anyway but whatever) bcause they want registration soon and i think we are picking our team in a few weeks as well.

i am sure UQ may have something to say about us being the biggest as well.
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

Wow, long time since I've been on here.

SUSF restricted clubs to one team per sport/division. Unfortunately this means we only have one team due to only having a mixed division. Soccer get 1x mens, 1x womens etc.
If sports have multiple teams, it gets too difficult to manage, since you may almost double the number of rowdy uni games players. When SUSF don't really care about EUGs, can't really expect them to devote much time/money - they already do alot for us. We could have almost fielded 3 teams.

HOWEVER, there will be a cumberland campus team from usyd. These chumps are a party team that suufa has no association with, and unfortunately hence prevent some of our cumbo players (hammer, carol, heather) from playing with main campus. Don't hold back Cheesy

SUSF are mainly concerned with AUGs, which they do a fantastic job organising for us (I'm already going to meetings for it - jeez) and suufa is putting alot of time and money into getting some gold bling this year.

A more important matter in my opinion is the restrictions on team numbers. I'm sorry, but 16 players for a 5 day tournament just doesn't cut it. I tried to appeal to AUS through SUSF but was told the policies are concrete for 2009, so perhaps simmo you can try get it bumped up to 18 for 2010?

This is going to be a HOT uni games season, Flinders, BUUF, Monash, all going to be major threats alongside usyd this year. Expect to see UTS do even better than last year.

PS. Flinders lose Erin and Alec, and possibly Joel's shoudler, but gain sweet as etc. HOT.

thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »

Brettski - Did you want to fight to take multiple teams?
kiely

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

PS. Flinders lose Erin and Alec, and possibly Joel's shoudler, but gain sweet as etc. HOT.

yeh flinders!!!!!!!
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2009, 02:45:38 AM »

Brettski - Did you want to fight to take multiple teams?

Well I pretty much did - I know all the people in charge there, and they put their foot down straight away when I approached them. The thing is, if they make an exception for us, then they have to allow it for everyone.

Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2009, 02:52:39 AM »

yeh flinders!!!!!!!

noooo kiely.......

I think SUSF has to realize that success at AUGs is directly related to how big/deep your club is. Clubs grow through retention of members and the talent at those clubs increases with more tournaments played. By sending 2 teams to EUGs, they increase the depth through experience and the retention of members because everyone wants to play AUGs not just crappy lil' EUGs.

Ultimate isn't like "every other sport". It is completely unique. At Newcastle, Nusport is of the mind: take as many teams as you want. Basically because clubs field one or two (three at the outside) and leave it at that. I don't expect the earth open up and swallow Newcastle whole because we don't have a hard and fast rule... Maybe you can point that out to SUSF? Other uni's make it work. NuSport is also a privately owned Fitness Company, so are just as concerned with the bottom line as SUSF and MacSport.

Another issue is space, TDs normally can say which teams attend and which teams don't. I daresay everyone would agree with a 3rd Suufa team being dropped so a 'Gong team could compete or something similar.

UQ didn't show last year thus have no say in that matter.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese