UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 22, 2020, 12:35:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
RSD syndicated. North American UT posts are syndicated on the newsgroup Rec.Sport.Disc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 348756 times)
ash_5
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »

I'm putting in a 5 ultimate order for some shorts.  Not sure if I'd be keen to ship things to perth though... Tongue

So far I've got about 30 odd pairs of shorts on the order list, and they should work out to be less than $30 AUD including shipping

Yeah im keen on getting some shorts..I'd pay for the shipping to Perth...
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »

I'm putting in a 5 ultimate order for some shorts.  Not sure if I'd be keen to ship things to perth though... Tongue

It'd be simple to ship to Perth and probably cost the same as shipping them anywhere.

Pickup a 500g AusPost Parcel Satchel, $5.50 each or $4.95 each if you buy a pack of 10

Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »

I got an email from the Mac Uni sports association the other day

Looks like mac is out of EUGs

=(

Lame

No sign of a point yet...
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2009, 05:42:44 AM »

I got an email from the Mac Uni sports association the other day

Looks like mac is out of EUGs

=(

Lame

Why?

Lack of numbers?

Regardless, that sucks hard... We'll just have to have an awesome time without you guys...
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »

there should be a queensland IV happening on the gold coast about the same time. Stefan and cupcake are organising so the parties should be sweet. Plus it will be much cheaper for all involved as it is independant of AUS.
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 06:09:57 AM »

Lack of numbers?

Lack of numbers because apparently 90% of the club couldn't afford it...

So Lame

But if Bozz needs a helper maybe I'll get there without the club

No sign of a point yet...
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »

there should be a queensland IV happening on the gold coast about the same time. Stefan and cupcake are organising so the parties should be sweet. Plus it will be much cheaper for all involved as it is independant of AUS.

Same time as what? Christmas? EUGs?

Tanty, you probably need to give that stat to macsport....
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:46 PM »

Same time as what? Christmas? EUGs?

Tanty, you probably need to give that stat to macsport....

Dan, not sure you actually get the point of EUG's and know why it costs so much...

To make the EUG experience happen, AUS need to employ staff for months before to sort out competition managers, fields, liasing with councils, draws, merch, party passes and some other stuff. The fees that competitors go a ways to help pay for this.

EUG's is more than just another ultimate tourney. It's an experience. I first started playing Ultimate so I could attend Uni Games because that is the only way you could play Ultimate in Bathurst. As someone who has had to recruit before, it is easier to get people to come and play for your club if you say you are going to Unigames. Peeps come for the experience and are willing to pay for it. It's harder to get people to come and play a weekend tourney, EVEN if it is right in there backyard.

From my experience getting into the game, playing at Uni Games taught me about the sport, which in turned got me organising stuff in bathurst to now where there is a club and an annual tourney. I'm not saying that this will always happen, but if Ultimate leaves Uni Games, the possibility of getting new players into the game through this avenue ceases to happen.

Tiger has talked about the two different types of Ultimate Players before and that idea applies here. The hardcore Ultimate player with be happy to pay less and play at just another tourney. The casual or new ultimate player is happy to pay more to play Uni Games because it is Uni Games.

Simmo can help clarify, but next year to get to AUG's... You need to go through EUG's. I guess players are going to have to start picking and choosing their tourneys more carefully so they can afford to go to the ones that they want.

Enough ranting, time to head to school!!
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »

Simmo can help clarify, but next year to get to AUG's... You need to go through EUG's.

When the shit did this happen?

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »

I hope the change back to EUG's as a qualifier for AUG's happens. I know it doesn't work quite as well in other regions with less teams but for NSW I think it's great. Now if only we could get those sporting associations who make their players buy ridiculous uni games packages to stop (looking at you Macquarie uni sport) then EUG may return to its former glory.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »

The $400 package is on par with what other uni's are offering to their players.
Although having to take the team bus to the games is a crock, but it is one less thing for players to worry about...
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58:46 AM »

I just think it's really funny that it only cost me $50 more for the Gold Coast in 07, and that included an extra night or two accommodation in a room that had a corner view of surfers paradise beach which was literally across the road.  No offense to Bathurst but I think that the Gold Coast was a much better deal (and probably will be again this year).

I guess the problem is that teams aren't used to having to front up wads of cash for accommodation for EUGs.  Even UQ last year would've gotten EUGs cheaper last year than it will cost the vast majority of us this year.

It's not AUS's fault though I guess, it's just the stupid uni packages.  If we organised our accommodation at the same place we're staying for the Stampede it would only cost us about $30 a night max...
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »

Any chance you could communicate this with your university?
At CSU we had different packages to pick from. One that had everything (including accomodation and travel) and one that excluded accommodation and travel...
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2009, 03:12:45 AM »

Last time I spoke to simmo EUGs wasn't becoming a qualifier. Unless he is holding out on us, I wasn't aware that was the case. I personally would like to see it happen. However if I was at mac uni, i would definately be against it.

Tournament fees for EUGS: $105 and AUGs was $140 or something. Pretty cool and i'm not debating the tournament fee. (Certainly, Id like to see us get lunches included as well as some other stuff) Boz, you are preaching to the choir though. I could guess how much it actually cost to put together the commercialized EUGs tournament and the figure would be somewhere around the $100 mark per player, that is for sure.

What I am saying is that Mac is charging $400 that an ultimate player could spend $150 on and be fine. As a result, they have less players (well, no players) willing to go. They should be charging nothing. That way they have players go along and their uni is in the mix. Then for uni games they should be slugging them with this cost because there is more reason. Finding $800 to play two tournaments bites. I'd rather spend that $800 and go play kaimana or something.

The problem is uni sports charging for compulsory packages. If our uni brought something like that in, i'd get on the warpath and our uni co-ordinator would first get a letter every week with reasons why it should be changed back. Then i would move on and get letters from other sports agreeing with me.
Chook

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:06 AM »

Maybe instead of complaining about it, get the players to get out there and do some fundraising. UWA has had lawn bowls afternoons, sold chocolates and delivered junk mail in the past, all took little time to organise, required a bit of commitment and generated good money to help out the players.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese