UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 18, 2014, 06:15:42 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 114710 times)
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »

The Newcastle teams are no great secrets. The A team will be competitive as it is at least as strong as last year while the B team has a couple of experienced players to guide the beginners. As far as I know everyone has been registered to AUS by the team manager but I can ask her to register us on the AFDA website as well.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »

The ANU's planning on sending a team to EUGs and AUGs both, so I'm pretty excited that EUGs is looking to be a good tourney.  We're going to request to be in Div 1, since I reckon Div 1's going to be where it's at.  We're hoping to put in a much stronger appearance than last year, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out at EUGs.  
MICA (logged in as littletom- changing the login seemed like too much work since I forgot my password.  Tom, you should stop keeping yourself logged in on my computer)
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »

USYD will put the team on afda after we get the actual registration done with AUS - had trouble with some players pulling out and alot of our AUGs team unable to play. Result will be a less experienced team but with far more potential for improvement which is great for us.

Should be a fun tournament.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2009, 10:25:18 PM »

I was asked on the weekend what happened to the IVy League idea, so I thought I'd explain why it never happened...

There were three main ideas behind the whole premise:
- To have more tournaments
- To encourage more competition between unis outside the UGs
- To encourage clubs to get new players playing competitively

These were 3 things I identified that were really lacking in 2007 and 2008. However 2009 has already seen a huge improvement in those areas without having any kind of formalised IV competition in place. There's also the fact that 16 out of 19 of last year's AUG teams regularly compete in league, with quite a few having more than one team.

In an ideal world we'd be getting huge numbers to IV tournaments, but the reality is that students are often working on weekends and can't commit to full Saturday/Sunday gigs, but can spare a couple of hours on a weeknight for a run around. Uni clubs playing regular league is good enough for me, so I no longer see a need for an IVy League style system. Feel free to agree/object.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »

Definitely agree Simmo.  I don't know about other cities, but there's a ridiculous amount of involvement by uni clubs in the ulti scene in Sydney.  Mac, UTS, UNSW and USyd are all represented in one or more divisions of league, with UTS having 2 teams and USyd effectively having 2 teams worth (1 team in div1 and one team in div3).  Even at the Stampede there were quite a few uni representatives and/or teams around.

The only time I can see where we need more uni specific events is during nationals season, because uni ultimate is mixed and there's pretty much no mixed comps on during that time.  That's a comparatively short time though, and this year we still managed an IV and a uni hat to tide people over til mixed season.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2009, 05:47:42 AM »

sydney has a div 2 team as well henry
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:13 PM »

Since we're all a bunch of nerds...

I've been trying to think of the best (ie: cheapest and easiest) way to run an audio webcast to provide commentary for the AUG final. I figure at the fields I'd need a microphone, laptop with appropriate software and a decent web connection, but am struggling with where to go beyond that. Thanks to some interweb investigationing, I've figured the three best shots are Skype (conference call), blip.fm and Windows Live Conferencing. Has anyone used any of that stuff?

And also do you reckon there would be much interest in this kind of service? If it can be pulled off successfully and relatively pain-free I would be looking to replicate it for Mixed Nats and Nationals finals in the future.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

Tin Tin gets lost in the entire Usyd line. Whilst he is an "elite" player, He can destroy your chances just as easily as improve them.

Then you have the really consistent performers like mort and izzy (and most of Usyd infact) that aren't "elite" players per se, but because they always play at that same level kinda serve to swallow Tin Tin and his performance up. Regardless of whether it is good or bad.

@Henry, plus there is the newcastle iv coming up later next month...

kiely

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

YAY FOR AUG'S
best week of the year...maybe...
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »

I've been trying to think of the best (ie: cheapest and easiest) way to run an audio webcast to provide commentary for the AUG final. I figure at the fields I'd need a microphone, laptop with appropriate software and a decent web connection, but am struggling with where to go beyond that. Thanks to some interweb investigationing, I've figured the three best shots are Skype (conference call), blip.fm and Windows Live Conferencing. Has anyone used any of that stuff?

And also do you reckon there would be much interest in this kind of service? If it can be pulled off successfully and relatively pain-free I would be looking to replicate it for Mixed Nats and Nationals finals in the future.

Would only work Simmo with you on commentary... which would only work if Nathan Stacey wasn't on or anywhere near the field at the time...
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »

I mean 2 teams worth of people Maple (so either 2 teams in one division, or one team in each division that plays in the same timeslot eg. 1 team in div3 and one in div1 Tongue).
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »

Tin Tin gets lost in the entire Usyd line. Whilst he is an "elite" player, He can destroy your chances just as easily as improve them.

Then you have the really consistent performers like mort and izzy (and most of Usyd infact) that aren't "elite" players per se, but because they always play at that same level kinda serve to swallow Tin Tin and his performance up. Regardless of whether it is good or bad.

What on earth are you on about? Pete is a massive standout in the USyd team. He counted his own turnovers at 2008 AUGs and he had 32 or 33 for the entire tournament, which works out at an average of between 2 or 3 per game. At last year's ECCs he was responsible for probably at least half of our goals for the week and that's just directly.

As for 'he can destroy our chances just as easily as improve them' well that's quite rubbish. He is far more likely to improve our chance then destroy them. Sure, every now and then he might have an off game but it's far more often that he is in form and will rip through an opposition defence.

Scotty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:08 PM »

With the feedback I've gotten from podcasting Mixed Nats 07, Nats 08 and Nats 09, I didnt get much indication that a live feed would be appreciated. With the live feed, would you be able to listen to parts which you missed ?

At Nats 08, we had internet at the fields and If i'd have done it and known there wasnt any language in the recording, I could have encoded and uploaded straight away .... there would have been 30 minutes from game over to upload finished max. But as it was we didnt have that many people around and I didnt do the recording so it was proof listened to first.

Mixed Nats 07 was my first trial and Nats 09 I didnt go.

My only points for improvement next time is to get a recorder which encodes straight to MP3. The recorded i've used to date has a proprietary format which gets converted to WAV then MP3.
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2009, 04:43:58 AM »

Woah, Dan take a step back. That's a tad rich. Pete is an asset every time we're on the field.

And I'm not sure who wouldn't count J-Bell as an elite player, she is (well, was) probably one the best if not the best female uni player last year.

As for commentary, I don't really think there would be much demand for it. Would be cool to get a podcast though - just thinking how many people are free to listen to a 90 minute game at 1pm on a friday...

PS. I'm pumped for EUGs - if you haven't booked accommodation yet, DO IT NOW! There is pretty much nothing left.

Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:05 AM »

Commentary schmomentary... I'm all for giving the better hecklers megaphones though...

No sign of a point yet...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese