UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. December 06, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 289617 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »

Tin Tin gets lost in the entire Usyd line. Whilst he is an "elite" player, He can destroy your chances just as easily as improve them.

Then you have the really consistent performers like mort and izzy (and most of Usyd infact) that aren't "elite" players per se, but because they always play at that same level kinda serve to swallow Tin Tin and his performance up. Regardless of whether it is good or bad.
Have you ever seen Sydney Uni play? I wouldn't say Pete is a dominant player on that side at all.

SUUFA is full of elite players - Izzy, Tara, Max, Hammer, Calan...and that's without putting any real thought into it.

I'm never really sure what you're on about, Dan. How was ERYUC anyways?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
JMc
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »

I think Brett's hit a key point... The majority of people who'd have nothing better to do for 90 min at 1pm on a Friday will be there in the flesh, I would think...

Personally, rather than audio (though that was a cool first step), I really think we should start getting video recordings of national finals. Nationals, Mixed Nationals, AUG. All of these finals should be recorded.
In the past, we've sometimes had unofficial videographers (take a bow, Dom Ventura), but I'd really like to see official videos starting to become a thing. That would be cool. Even if it's just a single camera, fixed position, no editing to start with... I think this is a great step to take, and a relatively simple one to arrange, I would think?

And who's J-Bell?
Stafman

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »

And who's J-Bell?

j-bell = izzy
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »

Still interested in seeing some of the uni teams...  Only ANU has signed up players though, Mac has signed up an empty team as some form of passive-aggressive protest too
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:13 PM »

Tin Tin gets lost in the entire Usyd line. Whilst he is an "elite" player, He can destroy your chances just as easily as improve them.

Then you have the really consistent performers like mort and izzy (and most of Usyd infact) that aren't "elite" players per se, but because they always play at that same level kinda serve to swallow Tin Tin and his performance up. Regardless of whether it is good or bad.
Have you ever seen Sydney Uni play? I wouldn't say Pete is a dominant player on that side at all.

SUUFA is full of elite players - Izzy, Tara, Max, Hammer, Calan...and that's without putting any real thought into it.

Simmo,

I think you just agreed with Dan. He was saying that Pete doesn't stand out as a dominant player in our side and that because of other players like Mort and Izzy, he just becomes another player.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2009, 03:30:57 AM »

And who's J-Bell?

j-bell = izzy

Haha, the evolution of that nickname better stay off the internet....or maybe not.

I am tempted to register for Macquarie now. I hardly think its a form of protest though, just tiger bored...or am i wrong.

At what point is someone elite at uni level. If its playing Open/Womens nationals then that makes 14 out of 16 of last years team "elite". Or is it more the NUFL (does that still exist) level players who get the moniker of being totally awesome.
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:56 AM »

I've registered the Newcastle A team up on the AFDA website for anyone who's curious.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »

ERYUC was pretty good. Rhys didn't win MVP but he was certainly the most valuable Clenton. Fields were basically Coff's Harbour quality. Some very promising kids for next year's campaign coming out of the woodwork.

I am tempted to register for Macquarie now. I hardly think its a form of protest though, just tiger bored...

Spot on.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

ERYUC was pretty good. Rhys didn't win MVP but he was certainly the most valuable Clenton. Fields were basically Coff's Harbour quality. Some very promising kids for next year's campaign coming out of the woodwork.

Grin  Cheesy Grin

Fields were atrocious... But the opperating committee didn't mind one bit that we churned the shit out of their fields. Jmc's ass did come up in a conversation i had with a queensland junior (Jack the Ninja) about throwing forehands... Weird convo that one, weird.

For those that care about the results:

Final: Fresh Fries (QLD) def Miner (Newcastle, NSW) 10 - 7
3rd/4th: Acronym (Sydney, NSW) def Psuedonym (Sydney, NSW) 8 - 4
Discotheque (ACT) came 5th.

Miner won Spirit.

Xavier Black (NSW) won Male MVP
Catherine Noble (NSW i think) won Female MVP

Back to the pete argument. I'm not sure what games you guys have been watching, but because of the depth of suufa, Pete Liddicoat gets lost. If pete only turned it 33 times at AUGs, i'd be surprised. Either there is some creative scoring going on there OR you missed 3 or 4 games  Grin

Nothing against the bloke, great guy, insanely balanced when pivoting and can throw it with the best.... But really, the Suufa team outshines individuals. Suufa's strength comes from the fact they don't rely on any one player to win them the game. Pete tends to make bad throwing decisions, which is why he is known as captain throwaway to the rest of us. Personally, I think pete is on level pegging with Jmc or Oshep when it comes to pure throwing ability but then kinda fades into the background as Jmc and those better handlers make great decisions on their throws, pete just seems to pick the wrong one at the wrong time.
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »

That's a pretty damn solid team from Newcastle!  Without UQ and Mac from last year, and from what I hear a somewhat depleted Suufa EUGs team, most likely the team to beat.

Clearly Tiger was protesting against his boredom
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2009, 06:27:48 AM »

Personally, rather than audio (though that was a cool first step), I really think we should start getting video recordings of national finals. Nationals, Mixed Nationals, AUG. All of these finals should be recorded.
In the past, we've sometimes had unofficial videographers (take a bow, Dom Ventura), but I'd really like to see official videos starting to become a thing. That would be cool. Even if it's just a single camera, fixed position, no editing to start with... I think this is a great step to take, and a relatively simple one to arrange, I would think?

Definitely a good idea... I'd be way more inclined to watch a vid, or even highlights than listen too a final

Still interested in seeing some of the uni teams...  Only ANU has signed up players though, Mac has signed up an empty team as some form of passive-aggressive protest too
I was thinking more "bitter at being unable to go"

I am tempted to register for Macquarie now. I hardly think its a form of protest though, just tiger bored...or am i wrong.
Someone de-registered me from the team though =( talk about feeling unwanted...

No sign of a point yet...
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

Grin  Cheesy Grin

Fields were atrocious... But the opperating committee didn't mind one bit that we churned the shit out of their fields. Jmc's ass did come up in a conversation i had with a queensland junior (Jack the Ninja) about throwing forehands... Weird convo that one, weird.

For those that care about the results:

Final: Fresh Fries (QLD) def Miner (Newcastle, NSW) 10 - 7
3rd/4th: Acronym (Sydney, NSW) def Psuedonym (Sydney, NSW) 8 - 4
Discotheque (ACT) came 5th.

Miner won Spirit.

Xavier Black (NSW) won Male MVP
Catherine Noble (NSW i think) won Female MVP

Back to the pete argument. I'm not sure what games you guys have been watching, but because of the depth of suufa, Pete Liddicoat gets lost. If pete only turned it 33 times at AUGs, i'd be surprised. Either there is some creative scoring going on there OR you missed 3 or 4 games  Grin

Nothing against the bloke, great guy, insanely balanced when pivoting and can throw it with the best.... But really, the Suufa team outshines individuals. Suufa's strength comes from the fact they don't rely on any one player to win them the game. Pete tends to make bad throwing decisions, which is why he is known as captain throwaway to the rest of us. Personally, I think pete is on level pegging with Jmc or Oshep when it comes to pure throwing ability but then kinda fades into the background as Jmc and those better handlers make great decisions on their throws, pete just seems to pick the wrong one at the wrong time.

Hehehe, even Ultitalk thinks what I say is trashed... My post disappeared...
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2009, 07:33:49 AM »

nice post Danno!
suj

Australia Australia

eeep, look ma, no hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »

So are any teams except for Newcastle, UTS and UNSW going to the Newie IV?

omg i'm in so much pain...my knees hurt
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2009, 03:45:00 AM »

In slightly EUGs-related news, UTS, UNSW and Suufa had a scrimmage yesterday in Centennial Park.  I don't think either of the teams had full EUGs rosters but the results:

UTS (w/ Gaby) > UNSW by a few
Suufa (w/Gaby) > UTS by 1 point in extra time
Suufa (w/Gaby) > UNSW by quite a few

Real winner of the day obviously?  Gaby Melo Tongue

Shaping up to be a close EUGs I think, it looks like Newcastle is going to possibly be the team to beat though.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese