UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 16, 2019, 07:16:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 287449 times)
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2009, 06:08:11 AM »

so much talk on eug's what about sug's
just quietly...flinders is looking prettty amazing this year

Pfft, no one cares.

EUGs is where it is gona be at!

I've been heralding this since last year, i said; watch out for UTS, they will be a force of the future and here they are. I'm kinda nervous about playing you guys, i don't wanna become a victim of my own prophecy...  Grin

Quote from: brucemaster
In summary, with a few weeks of training still left, UTS will be a much more competitive side than last year's ECCs and with SUUFA missing a few 'elite but not stand-out players' like Pete and Izzy the competition is looking very even.

Grin With a not so subtle dig at me. I like it.  Grin

Suufa will miss Pete and Izzy if they let themselves be bogged down in the "omg, we lost our best players" depression stance some people take when something goes against them. They have to realize that they have enough depth to field 2 top ten AUGs teams, atleast (when most uni's struggle to field one team). Putting the disc in the hands of Tarn, Xave, Tara and that crowd isn't going to hurt you. Not in any fantasy game i'd play where they are throwing to a half decent team.

I'm just putting it out there, if i saw linus throw a hammer, i'd call it down too... He has no right to be throwing hammers, he's just not that good...  Grin
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »

Will Simon Baume be playing this year? I thought he was going to be overseas.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »

Suufa will miss Pete and Izzy if they let themselves be bogged down in the "omg, we lost our best players" depression stance some people take when something goes against them. They have to realize that they have enough depth to field 2 top ten AUGs teams, atleast (when most uni's struggle to field one team). Putting the disc in the hands of Tarn, Xave, Tara and that crowd isn't going to hurt you. Not in any fantasy game i'd play where they are throwing to a half decent team.

I'm just putting it out there, if i saw linus throw a hammer, i'd call it down too... He has no right to be throwing hammers, he's just not that good...  Grin

Geez Dan...sometimes i just dont get it. Its really interesting when you pyschoanalyse. So rarely are your posts connected with fact (or even informed opinion) i wonder sometimes whether you are pulling som elaborate hoax on us all.

As for those 3 players, none of them will be playing EUG and only Mike will be playing AUG. Tara graduated, Xav is a douche/is going on exchange, and Mike isnt at uni this semester. Sydney will have a fairly inexperienced line up compared to recent years, which will be a good challenge and a gauntlet thrown down to current team members and incumbents from last year not playing EUG's. I am sure they will try not to say "omg, we have lost our best players" and just go out and play th best ultimate that they can. But your words of advice are sage and helpful.
JMc
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

So who's actually looking good this year (in terms of AUG)? This has pretty much been a Syd/UTS thread of late... any word on other teams? From what I can pick up:

EAST
UTS: strongest year yet - are we talking semis, quarters, top 10?
Syd: lost a fair bit of experience, maybe a quarters/semis team?
UNSW: not too strong, based on that little round-robin scrimmage?
Newc: the team to beat from the East?
Mac: unknown - they're sending a team to AUG, I hope? Judging by their boys, should do alright?
ANU: still picking up the pieces a bit?

SOUTH
I know nothing...
BUUF, Monash, Melbourne, RMIT, Deakin, La Trobe - anything?

WEST
UWA? Will we see Murdoch/ECU?

Who's looking to win on the Gold Coast?
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2009, 12:11:48 AM »

Mac: decent guys + Gamble and the extreme outside shot of Matt/Duncan/Axe/Belinda/Amanda.

UNSW: fairly short team, athletic if inexperienced, have Fakulti's Rookie of the Year and Abra's little sister who would be one of the best female D players at AUG's if she wasn't pigeon-holed into being a starting handler for that team.

Edit: in my head I got confused and thought Monash were the same as La Trobe. They're not, La Trobe's depleted line-up (and will Crystal play?) doesn't look promising and I refuse to believe Moroney's hype about Monash because we beat them last year and it felt good.

BUUF, that I know of, have Timill and Dan. That alone would put them in quarters, but apparently they also have this justice thing that they're out for, and if they pick up some support players and a D line, should have a shot at winning.

Tom's at Griffith, surely they're mustering up something.

Also JMc can you confirm/deny whether Abra is coming back and playing at UQ? That is the rumour I have heard.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:16:35 AM by Tiger » Logged

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »

UTS is getting a bit too overhyped I think Tongue  It's still a very young and inexperienced team, but definitely a lot of potential there.  

Suufa are still very strong, they don't really have any new players exactly, just a couple that haven't had a chance to play EUGs/AUGs yet because the rest of the players in the club were too strong.  They've still played a lot and know what they're doing.

Newcastle will be fairly dominant at EUGs if they perform to their lineup on paper.

UNSW are a very new team in general, but they're improving quite a lot under the sage eye of Kenny Shepherd.  They're missing their 2 strongest players for EUGs but they'll have them both for AUGs, and come AUGs time some of their raw talent should be a lot more refined.

CSU are undergoing a massive rebuilding phase.  Expect thumbers, crazy layouts and party-winning antics.

I haven't heard much from the mac stables, but they have Megan, Hayley, Gen and a couple of fakultarians ready to play.  Depending on Seppos and whether Matt can be persuaded to play through large cash bribes, they might be competitive come AUGs.

The only non-NSW news I have is that apparently flinders are going to be AMAZING.  I think their only loss is Alec?  Depending on whether Joels shoulder heals up I guess.

Exciting!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2009, 01:30:54 AM »

Pfft, no one cares.

EUGs is where it is gona be at!
Yeah. Who cares about the region that produced 6 out of last year's top 10?

Monash are going to be very good again this year.
Melbourne, depends on whether Freisy and J-Lo make the trip.
Flinders, strong again, but no Alec or Erin.
Adelaide, strong again. Only loss is Steve Harfield. I'd almost back them in to medal again.
Latrobe, lost Macca, Jenica and possibly Jen. Will be The Wise & Lockhart Show, but probably won't be enough for quarters.
Deakin, no losses but some recruitment issues.
Ballarat, the next few weeks will be telling, as a few people decide if they continue/return to study. Dan, Timill, Macca and Greta are locked in. Everyone else is still up in the air.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2009, 02:00:23 AM »

UTS is getting a bit too overhyped I think Tongue 
How does it feel? Wink

EUGs is mainly just going to be flat out FUN. Actually, primarily it's going to be friggin cold, but fun comes in a close second. USYD has a mix of experience, same with UTS, NEWC... which are my personal pick for the top 3 but in reality, anyone can win it. I'm looking forward to there being no real 'favourites' and being able to play some quality, close matches and hitting the parties hard with our eastern buddies. And the best part is, everyone gets to smash Cumbo!

And let's just remember, it's only EUGs...

rodes

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »

Adelaide, strong again. Only loss is Steve Harfield. I'd almost back them in to medal again.

Actually we have also lost Dutchie and Ricky. For some reason Dutchie has decided to finish his PhD? (Odd, eh?) So there's the potential for quite a different team to be there.
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2009, 02:33:24 AM »

There's a bit of a difference hyping up a team made entirely of nationals players, as opposed to a team with only 1 person playing longer than 2 years Tongue

Looking forward to a win this time around though, and scoring more than 10 points total for the competition! 

evdogs

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »

UTS is getting a bit too overhyped I think Tongue 
How does it feel? Wink

...I'm looking forward to there being no real 'favourites' and being able to play some quality, close matches and hitting the parties hard with our eastern buddies. And the best part is, everyone gets to smash Cumbo!

Oh come on Brett. Why must you SUUFA kids keep lying to yourselves? We all know come Uni Games you spend more time in ice-baths than on the dancefloor...
kiely

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »

Pfft, no one cares.

our guys will be very strong but not so much our girls
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »

Oh come on Brett. Why must you SUUFA kids keep lying to yourselves? We all know come Uni Games you spend more time in ice-baths than on the dancefloor...

Doing icebaths in the arvo after the game helps us to not feel sore after nights of partying. Plus it's an amazing team bonding experience! SUUFA loves the parties, in fact i've got some great footage of a usyd vs uts boat - no real need to post the result i'm sure everyone can guess Wink

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

Oof. Massive pipe.

Good to see a few other tournaments on the calendar before AUGs. Who is attending what?

BUUF is going to Keith Callipo Classic and B-Town Showdown.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

Quote from: maple
Geez Dan...sometimes i just dont get it. Its really interesting when you pyschoanalyse. So rarely are your posts connected with fact (or even informed opinion) i wonder sometimes whether you are pulling som elaborate hoax on us all.

As for those 3 players, none of them will be playing EUG and only Mike will be playing AUG. Tara graduated, Xav is a douche/is going on exchange, and Mike isnt at uni this semester. Sydney will have a fairly inexperienced line up compared to recent years, which will be a good challenge and a gauntlet thrown down to current team members and incumbents from last year not playing EUG's. I am sure they will try not to say "omg, we have lost our best players" and just go out and play th best ultimate that they can. But your words of advice are sage and helpful.

You are saying you would you rather me say you are fucked and couldn't win no matter what you did? For some people, the loss of alledgedly "awesome" players is not a bad thing, rather an opportunity for them to step up and press their claim about being a half decent ultimate player. If suufa are anything like i think they are, i think we may see a new breed of superstar at eugs to replace who was lost.

@Brettski: hell yeah its going to be fun. Speaking of cumbo though, doesn't maple attend that campus O_o?

Word on the wire, UNSW aren't bring Ju to EUGs because she didn't get to trials in time...  Shocked Anyone else getting flashes of deja vu of a worlds player being dropped because they didn't attend team trials? Nevertheless, big loss when UNSW is shaping up to be a relatively inexperienced team.

Quote from: simmo
Yeah. Who cares about the region that produced 6 out of last year's top 10?

Monash are going to be very good again this year.
Melbourne, depends on whether Freisy and J-Lo make the trip.
Latrobe, lost Macca, Jenica and possibly Jen. Will be The Wise & Lockhart Show, but probably won't be enough for quarters.
Deakin, no losses but some recruitment issues.
Ballarat, the next few weeks will be telling, as a few people decide if they continue/return to study. Dan, Timill, Macca and Greta are locked in. Everyone else is still up in the air.

Yah, if NSW played up to their standard, we would have provided 7 of the top 10, but plenty of teams choked and the southern teams pounced. I just hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

There is a fair bit of hype surrounding monash, they have apparently lost Oshep, but picked up a bunch of nationals guys. Including some dude called cleatus which is apparently one half of an "unstoppable" thrower/reciever combination. The other half being seb... Their girls however have apparently stayed the same, which could prove vital when it comes to a mixed tournament.

Flinders' chances hang on joel pillar. If he plays well, they play well. Otherwise their depth is kinda lacking.

Big loss for AU losing Dutch, ricky and Steve... Dutch and Dabbo singlehandedly tore us apart (while the rest of AU made sure there was no hope of us even scoring let alone coming back). AU will still have a shot, it will just be a fair bit harder without them.

It would be a real pity if Deakin don't show. They were the surprise of last year's augs and it would be a real shame if they didn't return to build on that strong showing. I would love to see a match between Deakin and the new improved UTS, it think it would be one hell of a competitive match.

Henry, its australian nature to cheer for the underdogs. We all want to see UTS get a win, play some good ultimate and rock the world... (We just don't want it to be our team Wink Grin ) Get used to the UTS love, there is going to be plenty of it at EUGs, if you guys don't medal, we will all be disappointed. Just make sure linus doesn't handle and dumps on 2, you'll be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese