UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 06, 2020, 05:22:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Gold Coast: 2009 uni ultimate  (Read 326180 times)
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:45 AM »

CSU d. UTS for the Bronze medal!
Csu were up 7-4, UTS fought back with some big plays to lock it up at 7-7 at full time.

CSU finish the game with a long throw from Craigie to Tim Foggo for the Bronze!!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »

No big surprises at SUG. Flinders went up 6-0 pretty early but then Monash switched on and made more of a game. Melbourne took the bronze over Latrobe and Deakin beat Ballarat 15-8 for 5th place. Shaun Johnson (Deakin) and Jude Mitchell (Melbourne) were MVPs.

We didn't have any of our "big name signings" for this tournament. Very similar line-up to last year's AUG team. Injuries killed any hope of a run at bronze - two dislocated shoulders, rolled ankle and buggered wrist ligaments (all on day one) took out three girls and a guy. Still, our new recruits played a lot better than we expected and are looking good for improvement. We came away with spirit too so we're happy with that.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »

Just a bit more info about results already mentioned:

UTS v SUUFA semi-final
Was very close for the first 60 minutes. Trading for that entire period, at one point UTS even took the break to be up 5-4. However, SUUFA took half 8-6 (at ~65 min mark of an 80 min game) and then UTS started on D. SUUFA increased the intensity of their zone after half, and eventually won 12-6. The thing that surprised me was the number of times SUUFA turned over the disc - of course UTS's D was outstanding  Grin but we were getting the disc back 3 or 4 times a point.

Bronze medal match
CSU is all about Mark Evans (with solid support play from Cragie). UTS started off slowly and gave up a lead very early on (2-0, then 3-1). Very different game to the semi where SUUFA is pretty solid across the board, whereas CSU is pretty much a 2-man band. As Bozza already mentioned it got to 7-4, then brought back to 7-7. UTS started off playing man D but CSU were scoring pretty easily. We changed up our D to zone with an assassin on Mark. This didn't necessarily keep Mark out of the play but certainly forced a lot more passes (and therefore more turns). There were quite a few calls in this stage of the game, I'd like to think all legitimate but certainly some were influential in the way the game flowed. Time-cap went during the point to even it at 7-7 all so we were playing to 9. CSU took half 8-7 with UTS receiving on the mirror. We had played a pretty successful female iso with myself and Ant Melo which we started off with again. Double-turnover and we had the disc back but CSU (unfortunately!) decided to put a guy on me which made things a bit harder to get moving. We turned it for a second time and CSU didn't need a second opportunity taking the game 9-7.
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »

Newcastle beat Sydney 11-5 in the final at EUG's. Sydney started strongly and was up 4-3 but Newcastle cleaned up their offense and finished well. The standard was a bit low with many turnovers from both teams...possibly as a result of not having had many other close games. (Newcastle had only conceded 10 points in 5 games before the final, including 3 15-0 walkovers).

It was good to see EUG's get back up to 10 teams however there was a massive difference in skill levels and lots of 15-0 games, even between lower ranked teams. Newcastle B did well to finish 7th (It's a shame the draw didn't allow them to play UNSW who came 6th as that would have been an exciting game) and won spirit.

Expect Sydney to have a stronger team come AUG's while Newcastle will lose Dave Jarrott but hopefully keep the rest of the team together.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »

Was EUG only 15/80min games? SUG was 17/100min, but we had less teams. Played round robin then playoffs with no semis.

Rach - I would have thought they'd man-mark you earlier in the game. We did that a fair bit against Latrobe (Crystal) and for a few points against Melbourne (Mish Phillips). It's an underused tactic in uni ultimate I reckon.

rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »

Was EUG only 15/80min games? SUG was 17/100min, but we had less teams. Played round robin then playoffs with no semis.

Yeah EUG was 15/80 min - I assume because for some reason there were only 2 fields and so there was a fair bit of time pressure to get all games completed. On the first day there were 6 rounds of games (we didn't finish playing until after 6pm?). I'm not sure why there was only 2 fields used as there were unused fields close by. To be honest given the number of white washes it probably didn't matter as many of the games were completed within an hour or less.

Our draw was 2 pools of 5, with top team advancing directly to semis, and 2 & 3 in each pool playing a pre-semi. We had 7 games but I think the majority of teams had 6 games.

Rach - I would have thought they'd man-mark you earlier in the game. We did that a fair bit against Latrobe (Crystal) and for a few points against Melbourne (Mish Phillips). It's an underused tactic in uni ultimate I reckon.
I think that final point of the game was the only time I was man-marked all tournament.
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:02 AM »

We came away with spirit too so we're happy with that.

Have I taught you nothing??

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »

We followed all instructions but I think people thought we were being ironic.

Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:11 AM »

Yeah 80min games with points cap at 15

Two draws where proposed one with one pool of 10 teams and 10 games the other with 2 pools of 5 and 6-7 games. The 2 pools required less fields and didn't have us starting as early/late

and yes as observed most games where massively one sided in score (although uts vs usyd felt a lot closer than the score suggested). It took until day 2 for a game to go to time cap (CSU vs ANU) and then games got a bit closer on the last day.

UNDA turned up with 7 on the roster and played with 6 complete rookies and CSU Wagga had 8 complete rookies. Cumbo had a team of almost complete rookies (and Steph and Gemma "I caught steef's himmar")
So there was some big drops in the standards between the teams... and noone showed much mercy... UNDA vs Wagga was kinda amusing to watch (unda won 8-6)

No sign of a point yet...
kiely

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2009, 12:26:11 AM »

YEAH FLINDERS!!!

that is all
Big Tom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »

Having been a member of Suufa for more than 3 years now, it was high time that I popped my uni games cherry, and I can say that I had a wonderful time in Bathurst, and that silver on my first attempt was very rewarding.

Firstly congratulations to Newcastle A who played brilliantly throughout the whole tournament and really stepped it up a notch in a final that was closer than the score suggests, and alot cloer than you'd expect when one of the teams had stayed in and gone to bed instead of attending the greatest superheroes and villians partys' i've ever seen. Tongue ( and yes being captain planet is the most fun ever!!)

Secondly my humble opinion as to why a superior UTS teams lost their bronze medal match. I had the good fortune to see most of the match, and for large chunks of it the team I saw in green was not the UTS that i had come to know and love. UTS has always played with great spirit and have kepth their heads up no matter the cicumstances, and are always able to bounce back and be positive (I saw this alot in our semi against them). However in their medal match i heard lots of shouting and swearing coming from the field and the team seemed frustrated and downhearted  Sad. Even after they fought back to 7-7 they still didn't seem to have that positive UTS spirit which had helped them play so well in the rest of the tournament. I only hope that they will have learnt from this experience and at AUGs when they play Suufa in the Gold medal match Cheesy they will play with the same spirit and joy which is a hallmark of their team.

And yay for mega posts Cheesy
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:21 AM »

blah blah blah writing lots blah blah blah

But yeah Tommy's got a point... UTS didn't play with that unflappable enthusiasm that we know and love. There was tension and a little bit of angry. But I think that comes into most teams playing in the pressure games...
Of course this was going up against CSU who were still channeling the "Bozz era" with their "H! A! P! P! Y! I'm H. A. P. P. Y!" chant...
CSU had a few angry moments ("Look at yourselves! Call that a stack? I'm disgusted! Have a look at yourselves!") but they generally all came from Mark and I think he'd be pulling them out at the team regardless of the situation. I think the pressure and angry got to UTS a little, especially after the game against suufa where they gave everything they could... and came pretty close

No sign of a point yet...
JMc
« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:07 AM »

So with EUG and SUG all wrapped up, who are the serious contenders for September? Who are the dark horses who've got a shot at some big name scalps?

Results make me think it's Newc, USyd, Flinders, Monash, Melbourne... any deeper insight on that?
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »

Where is UQ in all of this buddy? Surely they haven't gone from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows, a la, UNSW?
JMc
« Reply #329 on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:52 AM »

I would've thought our 2007 and 2008 seasons had taken care of the highs and lows already... where do we go from here?

We're looking alright - we've got a number of people excited about playing this year, which is kinda important. Will have a better idea in a few weeks... there's some discussion happening at the moment which might affect things...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese