UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 06:15:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on my backhand huck.  (Read 16041 times)
joeschmidt

United States United States

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »

I have extreme problems with my backhand huck and I really need advice on improving it. I can usually throw it the distance of the field unmarked, but it's when I'm being marked that I fall apart. Currently I just play in my school's team.

Some questions:

1. Suppose someone is trapping me on the sideline and allowing only backhand, with no intention of moving, i.e. fakes are not doing anything. I have huge troubles hucking it from this position, although I feel it is my form that's the problem. I've been told that the release should never pass the plane of the body, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could give details on where my windup and release point should be and any other details would be great. At this point I feel it is impossible to get a backhand huck to go the break side or even go straight while being forced backhand, I can only throw to the forced side without interference, although while being trapped that would just be out of bounds.

2. I always whack my marker when I release my backhand huck on my follow through, any way to stop that?

3. Unrelated question to those above, suppose there's a disc floating in the air and you manage to snag it in midair. What happens if you come down and drop the disc so that you do not have to handle, because knocking it away may lead to another contested catch, and because catching it would force you to handle? If you do this, would it be considered a turnover?
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »

I'll answer the last one first:

3. MAN UP AND THROW THE THING! Never be scared of turning the disc over. You only get good by practicing and playing ultimate. If you catch the disc (that means you take control by stopping the revolutions on the disc) and then drop it, it is a turn over and the other team gets it back after you made a good play (not the way your team likes to celebrate your awesomeness, by playing more D). Always try and catch your D's. Too many times will you see people try and knock it down and they just slap it straight into the arms of an offensive player for the score.

2. Work on following through only as far as you need too. A good follow through means a good throw. Following through too far means you are exerting more energy than you really have too. Another thing is to change your arm shape and path in your follow through. After you release, bend your elbow a little bit and swing your arm straight through, rather than up diagonally... Sometime you spank someone unintentionally, just make sure you apologize Grin

1. Practice hucking with a mark on. Get a friend to stand in front of you, then you try and huck it past him backhand. Practice pivoting out to the backhand side and throwing from wide (not too wide, just out there enough). If you can throw the length of the field unmarked, it means you can throw the length of the field marked. If someone is allowing the backhand, that means if you step out a little bit, you can huck with as much freedom as you need. Put a bit of outside-in on the disc to make sure it comes back in bounds if you do shank it a little OB. Get the marker to slowly increase the pressure they are putting on you and the distance they are standing from you.

Maybe even ignore the marker. Don't think about him/her when you are throwing, just pound the disc as far as you can Cheesy . Most important though is to always attempt the play. Learn from your mistakes, and never be scared of actually doing something good.
Torre

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »

I often have a similar problem with my backhand huck.
Work on having good break side fakes(and throws). If you can break your defenders mark with your flick, when being forced backhand early in the game, it may open up your opportunity to throw your backhand later on.

Also, if you can get a rhythm of give and gos with your teammates, and throw a hard flick side fake in there, often the defense will over commit and leave your backhand wide open.

This can be set up in a vert stack if you have a player that can consistently break the mark when being forced backhand. Make a break side cut and catch the disc, as soon as you catch it- take a hard flick. Most of the time your defender over commits trying to stop the 2nd break side throw, leaving you plenty of room for back hand.

In the meantime, practice everything Tenk283 said up yonder.

GL

Nooga Please
Shaunie81

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:51 AM »

In regards to 3. Tenk is spot on, it's better to grab it and make sure than to knock it and worry about it possibly going on to the opposition. If you really don't like handling the disc that much, dump it off to one of your handlers, who are usually more than willing to have it. Smiley
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:20:49 AM »

joe,

When you say your fakes don't work do you mean they are not effective at opening up a throw or is your defender not biting?? If it's the former then get in to some thrower-marker drills. The basic one is with three people, one handles, one is on D and one is the receiver. The guy on D marks straight up and the handler has to hit the receiver (who is stationary, about 10 metres away). Thrower then plays D on the receiver (who is now the thrower) and the defender becomes the receiver. The fact that the defender is marking straight up means you're forced to work hard to fake him out and get a good throw off. You could challenge yourself further by gradually increasing the distance to the receiver.

If it's the latter then punish that!! By punishing the fake (and by that I mean actually throwing it to where you're faking) the defender will be more committed to stopping that throw next time he's marking you and consequently that leaves you more room to throw to the open side.
jpopp009

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »

anytime i get stuck i just call someone in and hammer it bt if you feel that's to risky then just go for the backhand but i'm still not getting why you can't forehand it....
joeschmidt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, but I still am a little confused about the arm motion. Is the disc supposed to go back like this picture? http://ultimate.lcs.mit.edu/throwing/asset/hucking.jpg

I mean if you bring the disc directly back behind you, I don't see how it is possible to huck it straight because it is sort of following a pendulum path, like a clock hand going from 6 o clock to 9 o clock, and the plane the disc travels is not the same direction as the direction you want it to go, which is straight up the field. It seems like the disc can only go left if you're a right when doing a backhand huck. Anyone have any advice on how to correct this? I'm sort of getting an idea that the problem is that maybe my release point is too early, although I'm not quite sure.
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »

Joe,

The angle the disc is at in the image is not going to be the angle of release it's just a natural result of winding up for a huck. You'll find that as your arm moves through the hucking motion the angle on the disc will straighten out a bit more.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »

I think your best point of call is the field.

Go out, take a disc. Spend 20min throwing the shit out of it. Put it as far as you can.

Then think about the mechanics you use to get max distance. Get someone to mark you whilst you practice. You will sort something out that is much more effective than if we try and tell you.

All of us could show you in an instant how to correct things. But words make it tough. So try things for yourself.

But a few key things when throwing a huck:

Wide Release.
Quick Release.
Low Release.
Angle of Release.

If it is wide, quick and low. Nobody is going to stop it. The angle of the disc at the point of release is going to dictate how it flies. If it keeps going massively Outside-In, put some Inside-Out on the disc as you release it.

Try it all out. Practice will make perfect, we can only help you so much before you have to help yourself  Wink .

Oh, and watch other people and how they do it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-6mHYXyd9s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/O-6mHYXyd9s</a>

0:48, there is a nice backhand huck. Check it out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:00:59 PM by Tenk283 » Logged
Mackey

Japan Japan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

Hey,

Way late to this, but for advice on throwing far, you might check the Huddle's issue on throwing for distance, specifically:

http://www.the-huddle.org/issues/10/starting-body-mechanics-early/

http://www.the-huddle.org/issues/10/long-backhands/

Wind up back, and come and follow-through in as straight of a line as you can muster.  As you suspect, Joe, trying to throw from an arcing release just doesn't work consistently (especially not for distance). 

Tune your body to work in tandem with a relaxed, whipping arm motion (I like to compare the backhand to pulling the cord on a lawnmower, and forehands to whipping a towel), and you can generate a ton of power.
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »

Hey,

Way late to this, but for advice on throwing far, you might check the Huddle's issue on throwing for distance, specifically:

http://www.the-huddle.org/issues/10/starting-body-mechanics-early/

http://www.the-huddle.org/issues/10/long-backhands/

Wind up back, and come and follow-through in as straight of a line as you can muster.  As you suspect, Joe, trying to throw from an arcing release just doesn't work consistently (especially not for distance). 

Tune your body to work in tandem with a relaxed, whipping arm motion (I like to compare the backhand to pulling the cord on a lawnmower, and forehands to whipping a towel), and you can generate a ton of power.

Listen to this guy he knows what hes talking about, check out his blog too theres a lot of good stuff about throwing on there. I have been on it a lot lately. Reading about training today has helped me get motivated to start my own training once again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:46:46 PM by rrudnic » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese