UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 06:53:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tweak it out. Customize the look and feel of UltiTalk by changing your Theme Settings.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Endzone play called "Izo" ??  (Read 9283 times)
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »

I believe the name of the play is from izolation or something
(it may have some other names to:) )
The set up is like this:
4 cutters in the corners of the zone
1 cutter in the middle of the zone

They create something like a closed envelope.

there are 2 heandlers left.

So did any of you playd this or aginst it??

what is the purpose of this set up??
when to play it?
how to play aginst it??

Cheers Cheesy

Play Ultimate everyday !!! Cheesy
rrudnic

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »

I think you mean Iso, like isolation. Although we always ran it with everyone in the stack going to the back of the endzone. Basically your just calling out the player who you think has the biggest advantage over his defender and letting him get open. The other guys just stand out of the way and keep their defenders out of the way. If you have a cutter at each  of the front corners that means you also have a defender there and that defender would probably be on the middle of the field side so he would be taking away space from the guy you iso'd.
wlflover

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

this is called isolation. it is what it sounds like. the handler will call out the name of one of the players in a vert stack and that person is supposed to make a cut in the endzone. the other cutters might want to act liek they are going to cut but chouldn't so they can stay out of the way.
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:28:17 AM »

ok ... so it's up to handler who will make a cut for score...
so the best way to cope with iso is to play man on man def in zone which will look like this:

o/          \o
      |o
o/          \o
------------
       _
       o   

is it correct ??
are there any other options ??

Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »

Actually, if the offense is playing an Iso they will more than likely setup like this:

o
      o
       o

i
------------

o      o      o

Where "i" is the Iso (the guy who will score).  Another variant is like this:

o     o      o

i

------------

o     o      o

Again, where the "i" is the Iso.

I've not seen a Iso setup like your diagram SergioPL, because as rrudnic said there would be a lot of interference and traffic in the way of the Iso.

To defend against it, you really have to play some sort of zone or a man D which allows for switching.  A setup might look like this:

o
   \  o  /
       o  /

\    i   /
---------------

o        /o      /o

You can see that the Iso is sandwiched and contained.  It will not be as easy for him to get open now since one of many defenders can guard him depending on his cutting pattern.

All this being said, an Iso play that is thoroughly practiced is very tough to stop.  You should score 80% of the time with it when within 5-10 yards of the endzone.  Smiley

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
wlflover

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:23 AM »

well said seppo i didn't even think of others way to set it up. might be good to try! Grin
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »

ok ... so it's up to handler who will make a cut for score...
so the best way to cope with iso is to play man on man def in zone which will look like this:

o/          \o
      |o
o/          \o
------------
       _
       o   

is it correct ??
are there any other options ??

Also what Umlaut call, "super dot"

Grin Just to bust up one of their play calls right before nationals.

Its up to the dude in the middle to get open and score. Way to stop it is a play good defense and stand in your man's hip pocket. There isn't too much interference if the four other guys in the endzone stand right on the cones. They just have to be aware that if someone poaches off, that they have to get into space and score.

If you manage to stop that main player though, it does take the offense a few seconds to get back into order because people end up clogging left right and centre if the disc is dumped off.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:00:57 PM »

Seppo - I think pretty much 90% of every endzone play ever is called an iso.

I've seen this play. UWA played it a lot at AUG last year.

It's tough to pull off on D, but you need the defender marking the handler without the disc to come out and poach, baiting them into throwing the swing. Once you get it to a sideline, the two people marking the far side cutters can come in and clog up the endzone, forcing them to take a risk or go back to standard vertical.

Keeping a force throughout this is imperative. One break throw and it's all over.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »

Seppo - I think pretty much 90% of every endzone play ever is called an iso.

I've seen this play. UWA played it a lot at AUG last year.

It's tough to pull off on D, but you need the defender marking the handler without the disc to come out and poach, baiting them into throwing the swing. Once you get it to a sideline, the two people marking the far side cutters can come in and clog up the endzone, forcing them to take a risk or go back to standard vertical.

Keeping a force throughout this is imperative. One break throw and it's all over.

I wouldn't say it is tough to stop. Not if you have a half decent defender on the iso and I wouldn't say it requires poaching. So long as the person marking the dude realizes where the open side is, doesn't get beaten to it AND chases any break cut its fairly easy to stop.
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »

well team we played against used the set up that i showed 4 players in the corners of
the zone and one in the middle... he was the one that usually caught the point.

what do you think about such a type of defence:

o/          \o
     \o/
o/          \o

o      o\

one player should mark both of handlers ...
he should force the disco into to the sideline...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese