UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 09, 2020, 04:43:14 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paying Ultimate Volunteers - For What and How Much?  (Read 9242 times)
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »

Ultimate is a very volunteer-oriented scene, but as the sport grows there's a sense that there's more pressure on volunteers and/or a desire for better organisation.

What do you think about paying volunteers?  What for?  How much?  What happens at the moment in your neighbourhood?

Consider this an invitation to ramble Wink

Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »

The most I think a volunteer should ever be paid is their travel expenses and/or lunch and/or maybe a players pack or something.  If they're actually paid for their time then they're not really a volunteer Tongue
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:54:50 AM »

Pay 'em in schwag, I say. With the exception of Nationals 09, there are usually a fair few discs, shirts, cleat bags, jumpers, socks or trackpants left over that are just going to rot anyway.

I can't really imagine a situation in ultimate where there would be money left lying around that wouldn't be better spent recycling back into the big machine, to go towards uni club promotion, development, administration, field hire, etc.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »

I guess I partly mean at what point is it ok to turn a volunteer into a paid person?

rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

I guess I partly mean at what point is it ok to turn a volunteer into a paid person?

when no one will do it (in a timely manner) for free.... and then you pay them whatever will get it done.
(obviously you've got to have decided that it is worthwhile)
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »

speaking from the largest organized league in the world, OCUA still relies heavily on volunteers.  We have 3 salaried employees:  An Exec. Director and two league coordinators to run a 5,000 person league who basically administer the fields, insurance and player fees.

Coordination of tournaments and the general running of league nights are handled strictly by volunteers.

The Open, Mixed and Women's comp. programs give volunteer hours running clinics and tournaments in exchange for free practice field time and whatever little to none subsidy the league can provide for travel.

Needless to say OCUA (and ultimate on the whole) would be up shit's creek without a paddle without it's core volunteer group.

Luckily, there are good-hearted people who love the sport enough to dedicate their free time to advancing the sport.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »

So long as the person doing it would complete the job if they got paid or not. That would be when its ok to pay volunteers.

How much? It wouldn't matter.
a1214

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

been a while since i posted here!

As for payments, I think the main reasons for it, are less than the main reasons against. Its the whole issue of using incentives to create a better end result. The idea would be when you have 1 volunteer who is keen to do a job, if you make the job for $50, there might be more people keen to do it, which would mean that selection (or whoever) is able to choose who they think would be the best candidate for the job (just like a real job!). The same reason why well paid executive positions will have more trained/qualified people trying out for it.

The main problems would be: how much do you need to pay for this to make a difference, and do we really need the difference.
The other considerations would be do people feel volunteers need to be paid?

Personally I think unless there is a real issue/shortage of volunteers then save and spend the money elsewhere, but if the standard is too low, or not enough people its time to bring in new incentives beyond the warm fuzzy feelings you get from a tournament well run.

this is a pretty cool blog: sifultimate.blogspot.com (check us out)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »

When I run tournaments, I try and make sure there is as little as possible to do on the actual day, so I'm not having to rely on getting volunteers. Quite often there are people willing to help out, but generally I don't have a lot for them to do.

I think it's reasonable to charge a bit more of a tournament fee to pay volunteers for "expenses incurred", but you need to provide that extra level of service to justify the cost.

However I don't feel we need to pay administrative volunteers (actual cash payments, things like free league fees are a great incentive) as this sets a bit of a precedent and future "volunteers" will be expecting to get paid as well.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
wally

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »

You volunteer because you want the event to succeed, and organisers should be able to get a lot of value out of this.  However I think some sort of payment is a necessity, whether it be free lunch for the day or a beer after the game, or a players pack, or a waiver of fees, or a cash payment to help cover expenses.

Paying people in money is probably the least efficient way of doing it.  Paying in stuff is better value for everyone involved.

How much?  It needs to be low enough to be sustainable, but high enough to get the job done and have volunteers coming back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese