UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 26, 2019, 11:04:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor Youth League  (Read 8313 times)
evanhp

United States United States

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »

Hello all-
I am in the works of creating and running an Indoor Ultimate League for ages 10-14. We are doing it indoor for multiple reasons: easier throws for youngsters(wind is nuts for kids), easier to be aware of where their going), field space, and easier for parents to sit and watch the game. I am thinking of a 12 week program with a draft and a tourney the last week. Does anyone have any advice as to how to go about teaching the kids the sport? Do we take a direct Ultimate approach and teach them the ins and outs right away, or do we ease them in to it? We only have 12 weeks so do we focus on teaching it for the first few weeks and then play games the last 8 weeks? I was thinking about having a mass practice once a week and then play team games on Saturdays. I am going to get volunteer coaches and I am going to have to come up with the curriculum for coaches and for students. Anyone have any good curriculum or advice for that? Thanks for all the help and anything you say would be helpful thanks!

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
nHouse

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »

There had been something similar to this in my area of New Jersey not too long ago, from what I remembered it worked out pretty well except for a few overly anxious kids insisting on diving even with wooden floors :/

As far as teaching goes, considering the age group your aiming for I would suggest sticking with the baseline basics, catching, throwing backhand - maybe forehand if you have a few gifted throwers, defense (probably easier at that age to teach zone vs 1v1 like rec basketball does but some of the older guys might do well with 1v1 so whatever floats your boat, and of course field space and recognition should be forced on them meaning if you try to have them read the field they will in most cases get confused and just pretend to know what their doing but if you set up zones and have them try to find the open space within their zone they might see the smaller area a little better.

I think just keeping everything to its simplest most basic form at first is a safe bet and then gradually allowing them to explore some of the easy ins and outs will get you your best results.  12 weeks/3months is a pretty sure time, im not sure how often this league will have games or practices but of course the more practices you can have without burning the kids out will bring more development.
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »

I remember for soccer and football when I was little that they did a sort of training camp type thing where everyone came out on sat and sun for like 2-3 hrs both days and they taught skills to everyone and did drills and all the coaches were there to evaluate players then the coaches drafted after that. That might be a fun way to do it plus then everyone has at least the very basics down from the start.
evanhp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »

yeah i think were going to have an intro to Ultimate night with parents, and show a video and a demo game by the coaches, then players split up and we do some drills and then have a draft the following night
thanks guys for all the input, any help will make this more of a success to the kids and to Ultimate as a whole. i want this to be very successful but I am not familiar with coaching and teaching for kids so it will be interesting. im excited for this though as it will really help the older programs in the area.
im thinking one practice a night and then double header game on saturday. I also have NO IDEA of how many kids we will get signed up, so that will have a huge effect on how we run it. thanks again

www.UPOz.org
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:28:03 AM »

One important thing when teaching kids: make it incredibly easy to under. You think you might be clear on your instructions, i'll guarentee you that half the time it flies straight over their heads. Break things down into small words, make the point of the exercise clear. And never have them sit down for too long Grin .

good luck with this. Let us know how you get on with it!
evanhp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »

Thanks for the input.

It is probably going to be a 2 hour session one night a week program. First 4 weeks will be primarily focused on the very basic skills, 1.5 hours of learning, skills, drills, and .5 hour of scrimmage to give them an application period to apply all that they have learned and evaluation time for us as coaches.
The last 4 weeks will be 45 minute games, double headers if the program goes as planned. We will choose teams to give each kid a sense of pride in their team and promote teamwork.
The last week we are shooting for a mini-tournament on the weekend, maybe even outside where all the parents will be invited and have snacks and refreshments and music and such.
A big party to promote Ultimate to them for the future and to encourage the involvement of parents and kids in the future and to invite them to join our local Ultimate organization, UPOz.org.

The older kids may be invited to play with our local college and high school programs in order to encourage them to keep playing and learning more.

Thanks for any input you all have.I think I will be using some of the curriculum from the AFDA website but customize it for our program. I dont think im going to go over overhead throws and some others from the curriculum though.

www.UPOz.org
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »

I did a little youth coaching last year,

I wouldn't waste too much time on throwing.  Sure, go over things like grip and a few mechanics, but don't force it.  Throwing skills only come with throwing practice, so unless you want to spend 12 weeks teaching them how to throw, it's likely their throwing skill will not vastly improve over that time period.  Encourage nothing but throws for pre-game warm-up though.

Basics are key, I would personally teach man defense first, then maybe move to zone as they become more familiar with the game.  Zone right-off at that age will lead to nothing but double-teams and turnovers galore, and likely be a little hard to follow for some of the younger ones who don't have previous sports experience.  You want the kids to actually be able to pass the disc a few times upfield or it will become very boring for them.

I'd say teach them how to mark and hold a force and cutting from vertical stack.  Hammer these things in repeatedly over and over.  The thing I found the hardest was trying to get the kids to stack as opposed to running buck-wild all over the place. 

Another thing (especially at that age) is to make sure the girls are included in play, boys at that age tend to be more physically adept and will just look the girls off all the time and attempt hucks-to-nowhere almost exclusively, especially if you wind up with some kids who can actually throw a decent backhand.
evanhp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »

Thats great input. The league didnt get enough interest therefore we didnt start it up this summer. We are looking to start it up again in the fall maybe with more time to prepare and all.
I appreciate the comments and will take those in to consideration when we start it up.

www.UPOz.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese