UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 19, 2019, 11:07:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Thunder/Terra Class of 2010 Speculation/Hype Thread  (Read 62855 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »

Well, Junior Nats has just been run and won in two halves. Germany is just over 12 months away. Coaches and selectors have been appointed.

Anyone else keen to throw some names around now so we can say "I called it" when they make the squad?

I'm prepared to say 12 GFUC kids will at least make the squads, and to back Grunt for Thunder Assistant Coach.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »

My brother for captain....  Grin

Length of the field flick to score before backing it up with a 40yd hammer into a 10 knot breeze to score... Sounds to me like another tall ultimate frisbee player in australian ultimate.

There will be atleast half a dozen newcastle/central coast players in thunder and terra. Hopefully. The girls have been going really well and under the tutelage of katie b, they can hardly go wrong.
ash_5
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:26:59 AM »

Who are the returning players going to be?

*scratch that. Who is likely to go again from last years team?
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »

Returning from 08

Lachlan Gregory (WA)
Lewi Broad (VIC, and not confirmed)
Jackson Turner (NSW)
Alex Linnertson (NSW, semi-retired)
Graham Shilson-Josling (NSW, probably didn't spell it right)
Lochlan Wise (VIC)
Torren Lamont (QLD)
Steven Wright (TAS)
Robbie Andrew (SA)

Sure picks

Rhys Clenton (NSW) (c)
Reece Stuart (QLD?)
Xavier Black (NSW)
Eshan Wickrema (NSW)

Possibles

Benjamin Mathews-Hunter (ACT)
Silas Stacey (NSW)
Ollie Dousset (NSW)
Chris 'Albi' Andrews (NSW)
Max Stenstrom (NSW)
Alex Ladomatos (NSW)
Jack Dee (really just because of his last name, NSW)

Obvious NSW bias due to my being in Newcastle this past weekend. My juniors will fight your juniors, etc.

Terra, on the other, bling-heavy hand, are looking very very promising, with most of the core Victorian squad (featuring names you may have heard of such as Cat Phillips, Lyra Meehan, Sophie Murdoch and Chloe McDonald) backing up after a very successful Nationals campaign with Team Box. I'm pretty sure Nicky Sutton (Hills) is the only returning NSW Terra 08 member.

I'll write some more when I find the time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:35:29 AM by Tiger » Logged

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
alex.

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:59:32 AM »

I second / third Rhys Clenton as the captain. Personally I think the Stone twins and Torren seem to have a good chance.

There are also a couple of girls (Paige Hutchinson and Sophie Stewart) up here in Queensland who could have a shot if they put their minds to it, but looking at that Terra list its going to be a good squad.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »

I'm sure Torren is shortsighted  Grin.... He never saw or threw anyone more than 30m away from him. Pity considering how good is he is with the disc.

Sure Picks:
Ollie Dousset
Ben Matthews-Hunter
Rhys C
Reece Stewart
Abe Stone
Isaac Stone
Alex Livingstone
Trevor Lovering

Possibles:
Xavier Black
Silas Stacey
Chris Andrews
Jordie Stone
Ashley Medway (Central Coast: If he can be bothered turning up)
Brodie Taylor (Same as Ashley)

Not a snowball's chance in hell:
Jack Dee

As for the girls, i'd love to see Rebecca Hill from up north make it in. Plus there are few around that could very well make it. It seems to me though that we may have a queenslander heavy thunder line up. Alot of height and skill coming from cane toad country.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »

What the hell happened to my last post in here? Anyways...

I reckon Tyler Dickson and Marc Delgallo can book their tickets to Germany right now.

alex.

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »

I'm sure Torren is shortsighted  Grin.... He never saw or threw anyone more than 30m away from him. Pity considering how good is he is with the disc.

If Torren became confident with his hucks he could be so much better. He has some really good throws he doesn't use in games for some reason. I've seen him pull out some of the best splits flicks and forehand hucks I've seen when we are training but when someone is marking him it all changes.

I don't know what the problem is though. I think he broke someones nose with his backhand once down in the Channon so I guess that's part of it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:44:11 AM by alex. » Logged
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »

I wish I could of gone to Youth Nats this year... Sounds like it was awesome.
Too many problems at home though :\

As for me being Semi-retired... Half right lol. Just work gets in the way of everything and I cant really take any days off. I've been saving up for Germany and the Jan etc.. Camps. Hopefully I can attend. Sounds like theres some good youth tallent out there, well done to everyone who participated at youth nationals (Inc coaches/helpers/organizers etc...).

Edit: This thread takes me back to when I started Smiley Good times... The thread is here if any players around then want to have a geeze... Good times indeed.

-Alex
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:56:49 AM by Lex » Logged

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »

If Torren became confident with his hucks he could be so much better. He has some really good throws he doesn't use in games for some reason. I've seen him pull out some of the best splits flicks and forehand hucks I've seen when we are training but when someone is marking him it all changes.

I don't know what the problem is though. I think he broke someones nose with his backhand once down in the Channon so I guess that's part of it.

Someone else got hurt and now he's timid?

Grin Huh Cheesy Grin

Anyway, the guy is really balanced when pivoting (my only gripe would be that he pivots too much... but he is good at it). Technically he is very sound, with little wrong with his throwing action. Playing for Fresh Fries, I didn't see him get upfield and run, but he is about 6ft so thats good height to start with.

I reckon Ollie could be the next Lex... He made the sickest bid at youth nats up here. I can just see him being turned into the next layout king who goes out and gets a shitload of gnarly layouts all the time.
alex.

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »

Word on Ollie is that he can't go to Germany because his parents won't let him. That may change though....

Major kick in the balls.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »

Pfft. As I recall they are going on about the HSC (NSW year 12 major exams)... Pfft.
I had the HSC when I went to Vancouver... Easy as to get around that all. I'll even send them an email explaining what it's like if he can't go...

Also, next Lex? I gotta see this Tongue

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »

Piers has a way with parents so he should be right. Given that the campaign is all over mid-August I don't see how that affects exams too much. If it was in September-October, then yeah we have a problem.

I do sometimes wonder if parental permission is a problem in the elite level of other sports.

Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »

Given that the campaign is all over mid-August I don't see how that affects exams too much. If it was in September-October, then yeah we have a problem.

In NSW we have the trial HSC examinations around August, which are internal and set by the school. Depending on how crazy your school is, these exams will either be harder or easier than the real thing, and therefore possibly more of a big deal.

They were about seven times more difficult than the real HSC at my (selective, all boys, vaguely prestigious although really not sure why) school.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Meegs

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »

What school did you go to Tiger? I was at St George Girls, so I feel your pain!

And I can tell you now that if I had been playing when I was at school, there is no way in hell my parents would have let me miss school for anything, even if it was World Champs and ESPECIALLY not during trials! And I come from a sporty family, so I can't even imagine what it's like for kids whose parents don't care about sport!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese