UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 01, 2014, 03:28:52 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Thunder/Terra Class of 2010 Speculation/Hype Thread  (Read 29776 times)
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:29 AM »

But that's an issue that affected most of Thunder last year, and will probably be a concern for the coaches this year as well. (I think it's still affecting Lex)

Wat?

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
Pallen

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »

You should see the Irish youth team, they are really getting into it now in the lead up to this years european youth tourney, sounds like a pretty serious debut is on the cards and they might continue this into next year.
HWBV

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:59:47 AM »

First of all… this is the first time I’ve used this and hopefully the last, I’m just here to correct some idiotic comments about Thunder/terra that have been posted…

Lets start with Tenk… DC? ‘Dumb C*&%’ enough said.

But seriously Tenk “My brother should be captain of Thunder because he can throw a flick huck and a hammer into the win”? What a moron… Maybe start worrying a bit about your own ultimate ability and stop living in your younger brother’s life.

Also ‘Tenk’ “Alex linertson, is slow blah blah blah, he only lays out to make up ground loss from being slow” another statement cementing my theory of you being a moron, Lex was one of, if not the best defender of thunder in Vancouver last year, and I assure you, he’s not a slow defender.

Simmo, no doubt pissy? “Marc Delgalo and Tyler Dickson can book there flights to Germany” these kids don’t need big heads already; there just learning on how to play the game, and you’re giving them a head the size of yours (too big).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:55:17 AM by Admin » Logged

be smart, not stupid.
JMc
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:19 AM »

Man, I love forums - how good is the ability to go out and rip into a bunch of people without anyone knowing who you are (except the team you come from)??

Yeah anonymous HoS bloke. On ya mate.
HWBV

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:08 AM »

It doesn't matter who the person is... just the points they bring. don't you agree john?

be smart, not stupid.
JMc
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:45 AM »

If a person brings useful points, then sure - I'll take them however they come.
If a person brings personal attacks, it's a bit weak doing it behind anonymity.

While there were a couple in there, you'd be hard pressed to argue that your post had more useful points than personal attacks.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:12 AM »

First of all… this is the first time I’ve used this and hopefully the last, I’m just here to correct some idiotic comments about Thunder/terra that have been posted…

Lets start with Tenk… DC? ‘Dumb C*&%’ enough said.

But seriously Tenk “My brother should be captain of Thunder because he can throw a flick huck and a hammer into the win”? What a moron… Maybe start worrying a bit about your own ultimate ability and stop living in your younger brother’s life.

Also ‘Tenk’ “Alex linertson, is slow blah blah blah, he only lays out to make up ground loss from being slow” another statement cementing my theory of you being a moron, Lex was one of, if not the best defender of thunder in Vancouver last year, and I assure you, he’s not a slow defender.

Simmo, no doubt pissy? “Marc Delgalo and Tyler Dickson can book there flights to Germany” these kids don’t need big heads already; there just learning on how to play the game, and you’re giving them a head the size of yours (too big).

Fun fact: First result of a Google search for HWBV is this

My initial thought was Lewi but the posts are far too articulate for him.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:55:44 AM by Admin » Logged

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:42 AM »

Fun fact: First result of a Google search for HWBV is this

So it's a HoS player with Hep B? That really narrows it down.

You have to wonder about captaincy. It seems pretty biased towards folk who went in the previous campaign.

Should juniors even bother with captains? Seems to me, you look at any Opens team, their captain is usually the source of leadership, responsibility and motivation. A junior player has all of that taken care of by the support staff. All you're left with is a popularity contest.

(except for Thunder 2008; Phil White was put on this earth to captain those boys)

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
HWBV

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 03:47:15 AM »

I now seemed to be roped in. damn.

but i do agree tiger, it has seemed to be always a returning player (or johnny mac, who i believe captained the first team, and the second team) but yes. returning players have taken on the role.

maybe due to popularity, but frisbee popularity seems to come in ability. Johnny mac, Dan Rule, Phil White... all captains of thunder and all one of the best players in the team.

If you are returning, can play/lead well. it seems as though your in with a chance at captaining.

be smart, not stupid.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 04:43:32 AM »

If you are returning, can play/lead well. it seems as though your in with a chance at captaining.

Lol, im out.
Btw, so far... Win.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
JMc
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »

Should juniors even bother with captains? Seems to me, you look at any Opens team, their captain is usually the source of leadership, responsibility and motivation. A junior player has all of that taken care of by the support staff. All you're left with is a popularity contest.

(except for Thunder 2008; Phil White was put on this earth to captain those boys)

Given that you seem quite opposed to the "captaincy" concept, why is Phil exempt from this? The Thunder '08 support staff was pretty comprehensive - what made Phil special in this case?
Not being sarcastic here... am curious to hear how you seem to have taken contrary points of view on the general situation vs a specific case?

I would also suggest that the vast majority of Australian (and for that matter, international) Under 20 teams in any sport would have highly capable support staff, yet I'm not aware of any other sport that has taken out the "captain" concept. While that doesn't necessarily make it right (everyone used to think the earth was flat, yadda yadda), it's worth noting.

You have to wonder about captaincy. It seems pretty biased towards folk who went in the previous campaign.

HWBV, you make this sound like a problem? What are you looking for in a captain, if you disagree with this? I can only assume that you're talking about the "returners" aspect... I would consider "can play/lead well" pretty damn high on the list of selection criteria for a captain of any team in any sport...

In which case, both Tiger and HWBV, I'm curious - are you suggesting that returners shouldn't be captains? Or that the "returning" aspect shouldn't be considered?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

I imagine an underlying factor in having a returning player as captain is that they have experience playing at an international level and kinda know what to expect on the field.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
NickyD

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »

As long as the returning player has all the required qualities, i see them as an obvious choice for captaincy due to their experience.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »

Given that you seem quite opposed to the "captaincy" concept, why is Phil exempt from this? The Thunder '08 support staff was pretty comprehensive - what made Phil special in this case?
Not being sarcastic here... am curious to hear how you seem to have taken contrary points of view on the general situation vs a specific case?

I was trying to be tactful. I doubt Phil reads ultitalk, but either way I didn't want anyone thinking I had a problem with his captaincy in specific (because I definitely didn't) rather than the concept of captaincy for juniors in general.

In which case, both Tiger and HWBV, I'm curious - are you suggesting that returners shouldn't be captains? Or that the "returning" aspect shouldn't be considered?

I was just pointing out that the position is a bit biased towards returning players. My main point is more along the lines of, in junior ultimate more so than other codes (Opens, Mixed, etc) behaviour and decisions we would normally attribute to a captain are decided pretty much entirely by the coaching staff, so why do we bother with captains?

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 06:30:55 AM »

Lets start with Tenk…  ‘Dumb C*&%’ enough said.

My ultimate ability is severely limited. No amount of worrying on my behalf is going to make me any better. I'll get to my peak and it will be mediocre at best. Green and Gold definately isn't on the cards for me. Opens, Mixed, Womens, Uni Games.... It just ain't gona happen.

My brother however, has a real shot. As he's related to me, i feel obliged to barrack for him. I have no trouble admitting i'm biased. I want to see Rhys be everything I can't be, simply because he is my brother. If he makes it, i'll be happy to be known as "Rhys' Brother" (i already am  Grin). Not because i'm living in his life, but because i'm genuinely proud and happy for him. In the family he got the humour and the sporting ability, i got the brains. Unfortunately both of us are out of luck in terms of looks  Grin.

I have played against lex three times. Share the Love '08, Youth Nats '08, Share the Love '09. Wanna know a little secret? Lex is one of the best defenders around and I can see that from what little i have seen of him. He isn't slow and he lays out because he has managed to motor his ass into a position to do so. Its just interesting to see how people react when you give reasons opposing the "accepted norm". You resorted to swearing and insults. A person's mind is often revealed when they are pushed off balance. Not the most intelligent or articulate guy around are you?

Sometimes athletes need all the encouragement they can get. Sometimes athletes need to be yelled at. It all depends on their mindset and what they react best too. "Getting a big head" isn't so much a problem, as these kids, if they are still learning, are going to be running into alot of better players in the next couple of months. Any preconcieved notions of their "greatness" are going to be dashed when they go to camp. I daresay Dan Rule and any others (timill if he is still involved) concerned with thunder/terra would have these guys on the straight and narrow anyway. Out of the entire thunder team from '08, i would say only one had serious tickets on himself. Others had confidence. But none seriously thought they were God Incarnate. Which i can only put down to the Thunder Support Staff's work.

Anyway, its great how you know all our names. I suppose your intention to post your somewhat uncouth opinion then run sounded great to your uncomplicated mind, but if you want your ideas to stand up then you have to hang around and support them. Otherwise they just sound exactly what they are: uneducated and in general, just plain silly.

Captaincy should be given to someone who can be a leader. In all divisions its a player that leads the way on field. They pull off great plays and provide a point of on-field inspiration for the players to follow. As such, it should be given to someone who leads the way. They can't just be awesome, that isn't good enough. They need to be able to encourage their team mates, either directly through words or indirectly through actions. As an example, lets look at Lex and Tiger. Lex is awesome and pulls off amazing plays, but does he encourage his teammates? Lex is quiet, he lets others do the talking and just does his job. Tiger doesn't make such awesome plays, but he is a great influence in the huddle. The perfect captain would be a Liger  Grin . But seperately, neither could do the job.

Speaking of Warrick though: despite all his upsides he does not have the mindset. He isn't committed and he doesn't grasp the enormity of the fact: playing for australia is serious. You can't just walk onto the team and if you do make the team, you still have to work your ass off.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:35:58 AM by Tenk283 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese