UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 26, 2019, 10:07:11 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: List of Demands...  (Read 6734 times)
bigley

United States United States

howdy

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:58:48 AM »

I got few things I think every tournament should start providing (besides the bananas and the bagels): 

-Lined Fields
-Observers for Finals
-A featured game on Saturday or the finals be showcased (Similar to how Colorado Cup runs their tournament)

If Ultimate wants to be taken more seriously I think these are a few ways that it can happen.  1) lined fields add a certain amount of legitimacy that I think every one will agree is a step in the right direction plus is just plain better to play with.  2) Observers are in limited supply (and that is something I think the UPA and Greg Connally are working on correcting) but, demanding just one pair of observers for each tournament would raise the level of rules I.Q. and help promote players to become observers as well as make teams playing for a title a little bit more honest when making their calls.  3) If development by way of a broader audience wants to happen, having crowds/spectators/fans/hecklers/players/anyone watching finals is a good way for that to happen   I see it doing at least two things it gives developing players an opportunity to learn by watching teams presumably better the they are and it  reinforces the sense of community ultimate has.  Nothing less it would allow for players to get to know one another better.  I wonder if there is any connection between Japan's sudden emergence to the top and the Dream Cup Footage from Ultivillage.com I own where about 400 people are watching Buzz Bullets v. Sockeye play in the finals.  I have no idea if this is common in Japan or aboard in general, I hope some one can speak on this. I also realize the correlation is most likely minute. 

A short list on purpose.... What do you think should become standard at every tournament?
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »

Interesting list Biggins.  I definitely agree with your requests, especially lined fields.

A lot of what is provided by a tournament depends on the caliber and level of play.  A small, social tournament is more than likely going to provide fewer services than that of UPA Nationals, WFDF Worlds, etc.  Wink

I would add to the list of requests the following:

• Water and Gatorade (it sounds obvious but nothing is worse than running out of H20 during a game)
  • Sideline Tents (especially if it's very hot)
  • Clif Bars or an alternative (Live Logic had Clif as a sponsor.  They handed out the goods all tourney long.)

As for bagels @ tournies, I wonder who started that Ultimate Frisbee tradition?  It's been the standard offering for as long as I have been playing the game.

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

Solstice did a great job with H20. Water on each sideline and when you ran out you tip the bucket over and here they came on a golf cart to fill it back up.
(Besides the ice truck breaking down on saturday) they did an awesome job. Water is def. on my list.

I think tourneys should get a food host to be there during lunch.
Make it cheap, fast and good.
( At Harvest in Fayetteville, they had a bus that grilled chicken wraps, and veggie wraps for lunch both days with chips, and drinks. It was great! 5 bucks and you got a wrap,chips and a drink...perfect! You didnt have to leave to find a place or worry about starving during the day.

And my imaginable list is for every tourney to have a creek with perfectly cool water in it. Mayfest in KC had an amazing creek with flat bedrock bottom where we played Creektimate in after the games.  It was awesome! We even forfeited one of our games to go swim...

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »

Something that would help ultimate become more "professional" is co-ordinated team uniforms. We always seem to get caught here being filmed whilst we are in a motley collection of a thousand different colours and strips. Happened at the end of last year, the local news crew came down and filmed us training... We were all in acculmulated frisbee shirts spanning approximately 20years.
Pegger

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:33:05 AM »

14 officials should be sufficient for the vast majority of games.  If they can double as players, that makes things a lot easier.

If additional officials are needed, generally 2 should be enough... but I have seen the 4 official system (2 observers of which one is the head observer, and 2 linespersons) and in my opinion it is no less useful than the 2 observer syetem, just a less efficient use of observing resources.
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:28:45 AM »

Nice, took me a moment to work out why in heaven and earth you would want such an incredibly large number of officials.

And then I worked it out.

To any normal person, having four people do the observing job would seem like overkill. But you need to more like the person that is actually required to observe. To have complete confidence in a call, I would have to be closer than 50m and I would certainly tell anybody that was that far away not to even bother giving an opinion because they didn't see anything. If i'm closer to 50m, then there is no way I could cover the distance to the goal line to judge in and out, not with any sort of consistency anyway. Observers would get tired and they would have to move to cover everything perfectly...

Then again, the four could just go and sit on a corner of playing field (namely the front cones of every endzone) and do the same job... But with less closeness to the play. Thereby, less trust from the players.

Remember, if an observer is suppose to help with the game, there is going to have to be someone close to the disc AND the target at all times. There is no way 2 people could do that without them having to be class athletes.
bigley

howdy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »

I got a new one after reading Hector's blog, I have to agree with him on this point. 

Add to the list:
Have Pools up online at least three days before the tournament.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese