UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:26:47 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
RSD syndicated. North American UT posts are syndicated on the newsgroup Rec.Sport.Disc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Goal Line Stand"  (Read 3506 times)
Candleman

United States United States

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »

We've all seen situations where the opposing team has the disc essentially on our goal line (within say one meter).   Be it a huck that was slightly too short or a horrible turnover, we're stuck in a pretty dire defensive situation.  Essentially any forward throw will be a point, so it seems like this should be a gimme for the O.

I've only been involved in one situation where the D pulled it off (no time out called).  A super intense mark (mine, w00t!) on a very un-chilly handler resulted in a hand block.

Now the D has one main advantage that they don't have to worry about a deep throw and they can get at least two D bodies on anything high over the top.

There are a few questions:
1.  What are the organized ways of setting up a D in this situation?
2.  How do you get your line motivated to expend the immense effort with only a small chance of being successful? (Assuming this is not tournament finals or something similar)
3.  Is it even worth the effort?  Especially if you're up or the score is low.

"Let's recruit some emo kids."
"Yeah, they would make great cutters."
rrudnic

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:26:57 PM »

For 1 I would say hard force to one side, hopefully they are near one of the sides so you can trap, as the mark you have to prevent the break and trust your D to be in position. Assuming a vert the front guy will be reading the cutters and helping cover the in cuts one of the last but not very last players in the stack will be break side looking for over the top throws.
For 2 they should be playing that hard all the time, you don't just turn it up because they got close to the endzone or its an important point you play that hard all the time.
For 3 I would argue if its early in the game like the first third maybe even first half particularly if its close then its probably not worth the effort. Theres a lot of game left that 1 point probably isn't the game breaker. However if you D it and then score it back it is a pretty huge momentum thing.

I would add though that if the O fails to score from that close than it was probably not hard D so much as bad O. I would consider that almost automatic since the O has the advantage to begin with they probably have several set plays, they can Iso anyone, the D might need to recover if it was a huck. If my team is that close and doesn't score than you better believe there will be some yelling and cussing going on. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese