UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 21, 2014, 09:31:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleats  (Read 75817 times)
kryptonick

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »

Can anyone recommend a pair of reasonably priced cleats (i'm going to be playing a fair bit more outdoor games over the coming season)? I bought a really cheap pair last year and whilst they got me through they are starting to rub and I came home today with a rather huge and painful blister on my foot, it's time to bin my cheapies and get some fairly decent ones I think.

Unfortunately there aren't too many stores nearby and so I may need to order online. I'll be checking the local Nike store since that's really my only shot without travelling too far.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »

I am personally a fan of the Nike Mecurial Vapors.  They are super light and I feel very agile in them. 

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-100701/pid-167954/pgid-167955#l=shop,pdp,ctr-nikeid/pn-merTal50904/pbid-INSPI_130186_v9_0_20090410/piid-10848/pid-277973/cid-1

They are not cheap though.  I bought a pair last year for $110, and they only lasted one season.

Recently, due to the popularity of them on my current team, I have switched to the Nike Speed TD.

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-100701/pid-167954/pgid-167955#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-100701/pid-167954/pgid-167955

They are heavier than the Vapors, but provide more ankle support.  Plus, they have a cleat at the tip of the toe area which my teammates really seem to praise.  It took a while to break them in, and at first they bothered the arches of my feet.  But now they are OK.  Between the two, I would prefer the Vapors.  The TDs, however, cost about $50-70 less (a savings that is tough to ignore).  I got mine from a Nike outlet store for $49.99.

Foot Locker seems to be running a sale on the Speed TDs right now:

http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/advancedSearch/keyword--nike+speed+td+sale+mens/cm--Mens/

Good luck krypt!  Cool

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:45 AM »

Thanks Seppo,

I was looking at the "Super" Speed TD II on the nike ID site, $110 doesn't sound too expensive to me assuming that they are comfortable and get the job done. I've never scrimped on footwear before, I tend to spend alot on my basketball boots and next to nothing on vests and shorts, no idea why I scrimped on them last year.

The problem is Nike don't do international shipping and the UK website only stock soccer or rugby shoes, no football cleats. I have basketball training in 4 hours, I might pop into the local nike outlet and see if they can order football cleats in. I think football (not soccer) cleats would be best as they appear lighter due to not having to invest in a kicking surface on the top of the foot.

I'll consider vapors, they look supportive and light, I'll also welcome any other suggestions and let you know how I get on.
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »

The super speed will be my next cleat purchase, I know several people with them and they all say good things.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »

If I could I'd jump on a pair of Super Speeds, getting them to the UK seems to be the problem. I'll keep an eye on ebay (but then no ID, would be nice for them to match the teams colours). I fell asleep this afternoon so didn't have time to get to the Nike outlet. It'll be unlikely they have any of the shoes mentioned though, they generally stock regular, soccer and basketball shoes only.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:13 AM »

I've looked at some shoes online, and think I am torn between the Nike Speed D and the Nike Super Speed D

The only difference I can make out is the height of the ankle and $50. Is that the case, or are there subtle differences I cant see? The Speed TDs that Seppo linked look great, but the soles look more suitable to playing on a hard dry surface. Since most of the outdoor stuff I do is here in the UK and over the winter months I think I'd need fewer but slightly larger grips?

Each of those shoes are joint second choice at the moment. I'm trying to get in touch with a few of my friends working at summer camp/disney in the states to have a pair of Super Speed II TDs sent to them and they could bring them home in September. If that doesn't work out then I'll go for one of the 2 above.

Thanks again,

Nick
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »

Have you checked out Nike.com for shipping? I can' imagine a company their size doesn't have facilities all over the world to make shipping reasonable for you.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »

I agree, they really should be able to ship overseas but their online help states domestic only. I might give them a call when i get home since i get free international calls from there.
A.lieN

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

Hi,

I personally like (North American) football-styled cleats especially those from Reebok with detachable spikes, as opposed to molded spikes.  Some may say otherwise, but there is no real difference between the two types except that you can replace the spikes if the wear out or break.  You can also switch the standard 1/2" spikes to 3/4", if and when the conditions dictate, but to be honest I've never had the need to do so. 

If I may, I recommend that you check out www.eastbay.com to see the wide variety of Nike cleats and for price comparison.  I live in Canada and there isn't a huge selection of football cleats (mostly soccer) of the sort that I prefer so I have ordered on occasion from this company without hassle (except for customs).  I do believe they have worldwide int'l shipping.

All the best with your cleat search!

Neil.A
WrathOfCain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »

Anyone have thoughts on Soccer(football) vs. Football(football lol) cleats?
I played football in high school and since I started playing ultimate, I found that almost everyone(college, community, back home) uses soccer cleats.  I love the toe spike on the 7-nub football cleats, and can't imagine cutting without it.

I had these for football and now use for practice/pickup:
http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2540110
I liked them so much I got another pair(new model, diff color scheme) for tourneys, with my new school's colors of course:

Soccer cleats do look a LOT lighter, however the ankle support doesn't seem to be there.
Thoughts?
RayJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

I personally use soccer cleats, but only because I bought them to play soccer Smiley

The site that most people in Atlanta use (since we are currently a Turfs only league) is www.zappos.com. They have a wide variety to choose from, ship quickly, and have good return policies.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »

I think low cut football cleats would be alot more suitable than any soccer shoe. The reason is that soccer shoes have to be designed for both speed and kicking, where as football shoes (particularly runningback or WR specific ones) are designed with movements similar to ultimate cuts in mind.

I really wanted to get pimped out cleats with my initials and team colours (nike ID) and I am sorely stung by their lack of international shipping which was confirmed on the phone today. I might have to resign myself to my second choice Sad
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

I think football cleats are/will be better than the soccer cleats I have been using, I have burnt through about 4 or 5 pairs of soccer cleats in the last 3 years. They aren't designed for the kind of cutting and use the way WR cleats for football are.

Kryp you should just get someone to buy them then ship them to you, I'd do it if you paypal in advance to poor to front it.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »

That's pretty decent of you mate. The cleats I want are $122 shipped in the US, any idea how much it'd cost you to send to the UK? I'll obviously bump the price up to cover paypal fees and a general "your awesome" payment.
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »

Send me an email with your address and I'll check it out on UPS and fedex.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese