UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 17, 2019, 07:21:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleats  (Read 146488 times)
jeremykanter

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »

Just to add my two cents.

My favorite pair of cleats I've owned have been the Nike Super Speed TD. I came from a series of soccer cleats (including the Adidas Telstar and Nike Ronaldinho) and have found that the comfort and cleat pattern of football cleats is really more ideal for ultimate. Comfort is a huge factor since in a tournament you're playing for two solid days. Soccer cleats are built for kicking and ball control, so the materials end up not being so forgiving over the course of a tournament. Cleat pattern, as was mentioned before, can also provide an edge as the toe cleat will really help with grip when cutting or accelerating.

Anyway, the Super Speed TD is awesome. They run a tad small but are absurdly comfortable. They really just become part of your foot. The other great thing about them is the sole is a little on the soft side and very "low profile," putting your foot low to the ground and making them really comfortable to run in. I've tried cleats where you can just tell that you're standing on cleats, which is no good. With the Super Speed TD, it feels like you're running on the ground.

I loved the Super Speed TD so much when I tried it that I immediately bought a second pair. I've used those two pairs for the last season and unfortunately it looks like the one area that the Super Speed TD lacks in is durability. I exploded one pair at the ball on my right foot, and the second pair is beginning to come apart at the same spot. I've owned them almost exactly one year and was injured for a good portion of the college season.

For replacements, I decided to try out the updated Nike Speed TD (just the "Speed," not the "Super Speed"). So far my experience has been pretty disappointing. The shoe itself is nowhere near as comfortable, with cheaper-feeling, more rigid materials. The cleat pattern has been completely redone, and it's a very nice improvement. I noticed much better grip than with the Super Speeds. The Speed cleats seem perfectly designed for cutting in grass. The biggest issue I have with the Speed TD though is the sole, which has a much higher arch than the Super Speed. The arch is not only high, but very stiff, and you can feel the hard plastic inside the shoe. I've had them for several weeks now, waiting for them to break in, but I'm starting to worry that they won't.

I emailed Eastbay the other day asking if they planned to get any more of the older Super Speeds back in stock (right now they only have them in like sizes 13-15) and they told me that "the item is no longer available." I'm really bummed right now, so I'm going to start looking for an alternative. Of the low-cut football speed cleats that they carry, the Adidas Scorch Competition and Under Armour SoFlo MC looked closest to the Nike Super Speed, so I ordered pairs of those to try out, and I'll give you an update when I do. Another option would be to try the Nike Vapor Jet 4.2, which looks like a higher-end version of the new Speed, and hope that it doesn't have the same cheap feel and high, stiff arch. They're a bit more expensive though, so I'll hold off on that until I try out the Adidas and Under Armour models.

(As a side note, I would recommend molded cleats over detachables. The advantage of detachables is that you can buy different cleat types for different field conditions, but they're disadvantages are far more numerous. First, the cleats can get lost. Second, they often can't provide as effective or dense a pattern as molded cleats. Third, weight and space is wasted on the screws and screw holes, potentially making the cleats heavier and the soles less comfortable. People also say that detachables are good because you can replace the cleats as they wear down. I don't buy it, because with every cleat I've owned, the body has blown well before the cleats have run down. Then again, I've never owned detachables, so feel free to chime in if you disagree with me on any of these assessments.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:05:07 AM by jeremykanter » Logged
scurry27

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

The greatest benefit from soccer cleats is that if you get kangaroo skin leather the sides rarely bust out, it is the wear and tear on a different parts that make you need new cleats.  For me I always seem to wear out my actual cleats way before the leather looks even remotely beat up.

I really wish they would make football cleats from kangaroo skin or somehow make a mistake and make soccer cleats with a toe spike
ceemonte

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »

first post but hey
i've been playing in some nike soccer cleats i bought in october of 2007
light and they cut well, the leather is great, even after a muddy game
i just wipe with a cloth and toothbrush
and with the mink oil i rubbed on them they still look amazing
with their age and use

but with recently spraining my ankle, with possible fracture,
i would recommend a football style with better ankle support
 soccer cleats are made to be worn with shin guards that have some ankle support built into them

rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »

Kryp, shipping is a no go cost if extremely prohibitive, I could buy 2 pairs for what it would cost for you to buy 1 pair and ship it.

On what Jeremy said, I would speak against under armour cleats. They are the heaviest cleats I've ever picked up, they make awesome dryfit and all that stuff but they have only been making cleats a couple years and it shows in the end. I also would speak in favor of detachable cleats because the ability to switch stud lengths for soft and hard ground is huge. Also if you think you'll lose studs just got buy a little tube of thread lock from the auto parts store for $2 and put a drop on each stud when you put it in, it sets in like 30 min.

kryptonick

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »

No worries Rrudnic, thanks for checking for me, seems I'll need to suck it up and get some lesser cleats. I'll probably wait a few weeks now since the nike ID cleats take about 2-4 weeks longer than any others, and I'm in no particular rush this side of september.

I like the look of the Vapor Jet 4.2 D, and the speed D looks pretty cool. I'm still shocked and surprised that Nike don't ship outside of the US. It's not too much of a surprise that their UK site doesnt stock football cleats though it's still annoying!
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »

I have worn soccer cleats my whole life and when I started with Ultimate. I never thought of any other cleat for a couple of years. I would pick up pairs for $25 and go through them like candy. Some of my elite friends starting talking to me about the Nike Speed TD and how much better they were to play in. I thought they looked good but wasnt willing to put the price down for them around $85 at the time. But eventually I did and its been the best thing Ive done for my game since. The comfort is what first hit me, soccer cleats feel like your running on boards sometimes(not the weight but the insole comfort-no arch support). In my TD's i feel supported when I run and especially when I cut and change direction.(no more rolling ankles) The next thing I noticed was when I took my cleats off after a tourney I no longer felt like my feet were going to fall off, I actually didnt mind keeping my cleats on. The added support in the arch, ankle, and the fact that the cleats felt like they were designed to fit feet and not boards. Another huge thing is the toe cleat. This def. helps in start/stops of cuts and in laying out extension. The cleat pattern is great as it provides for good traction.

Overall Ratings: Out of 5 (cuz I want to act like im an authority on this)
Look:5 (large variety of colors and looks)
Support:4 (great arch and ankle support, also come in 3/4 high)
Comfort:4 (tournament comfort, tongue is made of polyester/nylon therefore very soft and doesnt dig in to the foot like some leather ones)
Cleat Pattern:5 (best ive seen)
Durability:3 (havent seen wear in mine but based on others opinions)
Weight:5 (very light)

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
chargeorge

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »

Awesome thread everyone.

I've gone through a few different sets of cleats, I started with Gaia Ultimate cleats, which were nice, but fell apart in about 6 months.  i then went to a basic soccer cleat, which lasted a year, and gave me ankle pain.  My next purchase was a linebacker cleat, which had great ankle support, but they were like running in concrete boots. Bleh.

Now I've mostly been playing in Adidas soccer cleats, which do okay, they've lasted about 2.5 years without busting, so I give them a lot of credit for that.  Though the arch support isn't great anymore which is leading to shin splints.  I'll look into that nike speed TD, or super speed. 

Though now I'm more in need of Turf Cleats, the parks department in NYC restrics the primary field we play on in NYC to turf cleats (even though it's an outdoor grass field).  I just grabbed a pair at modells after searching about 5 stores trying to find a pair, and I'm not a big fan.  does anyone have any suggestions for turfers?  It needs to be the nubbly kind, not the short spike kind. http://www.manhattanultimate.com/turf.php

Char
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

I am stupidly a fan of Gaia's.  They seem to fit my feet the best although I've busted the same rear-right cleat on two separate pairs.

DON'T buy Nike SuperBads... worst mistake ever.  The ankle support thing felt more restrictive than helpful and the material even seemed to shrink at the toe as opposed to stretch.  Definitely not worth the big bucks I paid for them.

I find most Nike products too narrow at the toe for my taste.  The Vapour's in particular were way too narrow.

I've been recommend to try the New Balance football mid-cut cleats when these (probably last) pair of Gaia's die.
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

due to a slight financial hiccup (equally my and the university's fault) I cant afford to spend big bucks on a new pair until september, so i'm waiting until then before I splash out
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 03:28:41 AM »

I like the look of the Vapor Jet 4.2 D, and the speed D looks pretty cool. I'm still shocked and surprised that Nike don't ship outside of the US. It's not too much of a surprise that their UK site doesnt stock football cleats though it's still annoying!

Eastbay.com ships to the UK for a flat fee of USD$30

I normally keep an eye on their website as they often have sales. I bought a pair of Nike Speed TDs when they were having a 30% off sale - essentially made it free shipping (to Australia)

Roundabout

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

I got myself a pair of Nike Total 90 Shoot cleats. They're working great so far, excellent cleat pattern, they're fairly light and relatively cheap, got my pair for about $100 CDN after tax. They've yet to give me a single blister, even though they're not fully broken in. The only issue I seem to have, is it seems that I develop some plantar fascitis after my two weekend games. I play friday and sunday, but I only seem to have pain or soreness after the sunday game. It then goes away during the week.
AndyHarry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »

Generally speaking, a football cleat will offer more protection than a soccer cleat, while a soccer cleat will offer more mobility. I favor the mobility of the soccer cleat. I like the thinner skin of the upper and the thinner cushioning of the footbed. It allows me to 'feel' the ground better, resulting in a more efficient transfer of energy from foot to shoe to ground and thus, greater agility and quicker movement. That feedback from the ground is essential to me. I feel very sluggish in a football cleat. The extra padding and the higher profile of the upper around my ankle sometimes make getting started or changing direction feel very slow. That's a personal issue, though.

The popular Nike football cleats, the Vapor Jet and the Speed TD, are nice cleats, but I've tried both of them and ran into the same problem: the toe box of the size 9.5 absolutely crushed my toes, rendering them unwearable due to the extreme discomfort, and the size 10.0 had far too much room in it, resulting in a looser fit than I like and a lot of foot motion inside the shoe. The rougher texture of the insole also tore up my feet a bit.

As far as soccer cleats go, I've tried many. Nike Vapors, Adidas Tunits, you name it. My favorite shoe, though, with all things considered, is the Nike Tiempo (I have the Legend III now). It's a classic, and it's everything all in one. The kangaroo leather is comfortable, and it has some extra padding in the toe area. The construction is very old school, and all my Tiempos have been really durable for me. Performance-wise, it's Nike's top-of-the-line flagship for people who like a classic shoe and people who don't want to shell out $300 for Vapors or other 'advanced' performance-driven items. The new Tiempo Legend III has some nice features, too. The classic Tiempo fold-over tongue with velcro closure eliminates 'tongue dig-in' at the ankle. The sole actually has separate cleat plates for the ball and heel of the foot, saving weight from a full length sole plate. Nicely cushioned insole. Really nice cleat. I'd recommend it. Still a little steep at $130, It's quite a value considering what you'll pay for a lot of lesser-quality shoes, and it's probably available in the UK somewhere.
samdinning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

A nice balance between soccer and football cleats that I've found is lacrosse cleats.  They have the same benefits of football cleats in that they are slightly more rigid and designed for movements similar to those of ultimate, but they are also less bulky and often have a lower cut around the ankle. 

I'm sure that they are similar to many of the football cleats out there, but if you're looking for something a little different they are definitely worth checking out.
jimmycaps

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 12:23:16 AM »

just so ya know,

eastbay.com has lowerd the prices of Nike Vapor Jet 4.2 from $120 down to $100, and the Nike Speed TDs(molded) from $85 down to $60...just throwin that out there

love and be loved
kryptonick

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 05:13:31 AM »

The drop to $60 essentially makes it free shipping to the UK.

I hope the discount continues into september, I cant really afford to buy anything until I pay my university fees at the end of this month.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese