UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 19, 2019, 10:44:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleats  (Read 146625 times)
Ben-I

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.
Ben-I

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2009, 07:15:18 AM »

....I'm really not sure what was up with the almost word for word repost of my question, but in case anybody else wanted to do something like it, I did find some information about painting the shoes. You have to use acetone to rub the protectant off the leather first, then use something like Angelus leather paints on them. I'll probably do this over the winter, and show you folks how it turns out.
Ben-I

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

Not to necropost, but I figured since this is sorta the go-to thread for cleats questions and such I would post it here.

Has anybody tried any of this year's models of cleats? I'd love to hear what you think! I just ordered some Adizero Scorches from Eastbay's Amazon store (free shipping and a $10 off deal Grin ), so I'll be sure to pop in here and let you guys know what I think!
AndyHarry

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

The adizero Scorches are nice and quite comfortable, but they seem very flexible and soft when compared to the Nike Vapor Carbon Fly, which is an improvement over the Vapor Jet 4.2 in every way. The carbon fiber sole plate is very rigid, which I find gives me an extra spring in my step and takeoff. Adidas shoes generally run large though, while Nikes run small. I generally wear a 9 in Adidas product and a 10 in Nike product.

If you like soccer cleats, the adizero F50 is extremely light, as in, nearly track spike-esque (5.8-6.2 oz.), and they feel like a glove on your foot. I find them very comfortable even thought they are extremely minimal and look like they'd give you blisters. I even wear them barefoot sometimes. There's a leather version (which I think is more comfortable, also has a snugger fit and better long-term break-in, if you ask me) and a synthetic version (a fraction of an ounce lighter, also has a little less protection and more room inside).
Ben-I

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »

I have to say, the nike Carbons were VERY comfortable when I tried them on, however I just couldn't find a good size. I tried a 9, which felt perfect except for an overly small toe box. the 9.5 though had a perfect to box, but was a tad too big in the rest of the shoe
gaz

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2010, 03:27:05 AM »

Seems like mostly NFL cleats have been treated...I've exclusively used soccer cleats for ulti. That's not to say that one variety is worse/better - that's just the way I roll  Smiley A quick bit of context: I'm 6', ~70kg, play predominantly on firm grass, slight pronator with narrow feet, have been involved in track athletics and am not nearly as good a player as I would like to think I am. Am also a shoe slut, so can give a quick rundown (disclaimer: opinionated and biased) of a variety of relatively recent soccer shoes.

Note that the Nike & Adidas shoes have no toe cleat - there is about a 1/2"-1" clear space at the front of the soleplate with no cleat. Some players swear by the toe cleat; one of the best players I know does perfectly well without it.

Mercurial Vapor IV FG: Took a long time to break in, still give blisters on both sides of the heel. Reasonably lightweight, narrow, provides minimal impact cushioning and support, relatively flat fitting sole/contour, fairly rigid upper reduces rolling sensation when changing direction. Love the cleat pattern (which has now changed in the forefoot for the Vapor VI's...), forget about wearing them if playing in puddles – watertightness due to lace cover means they fill up like gumboots and won’t drain. Otherwise, responsive feel and quite stable.

Mercurial Vapor SL: As above, but lighter, run 1/2 size large, stiffer sole plate, lovely big heel cleats that dig into the grass something chronic, doesn't have an inner cleat under the ball of the foot which can be noticeable when trying to accelerate and turn simultaneously, relatively rigid soleplate (carbon fibre) for good toe-off, watertight again. Provide great feel of the ground underneath and grip very well.

Mercurial Superfly: 1/2 size large, even longer time to break in, wider and taller around the forefoot, tongue is annoyingly short such that the top row of laces often slips over the tongue, top points of sides dig into ankles on inside and outside as they are slightly high compared to rest of shoe opening, got rid of those stupid pads inside the heel but still rubs worse than the SL’s and IV’s, also a fairly firm carbon fibre soleplate, heel cleats again, feels very plastic-y (like hard Tupperware plastic, not cling wrap plastic). Typical Mercurial responsiveness/feel but the upper is too rigid and uncomfortable for the $$$.

Nike Total 90 II K-FG (note the current T90 III's are quite different): Kangaroo leather provides for a nice snug fit all around the foot, cleat pattern is solid and individual cleats are large and well-defined, very little impact support and resulted in me developing severe and lasting plantar fasciitis, frustrating dual lacing system to facilitate striker's pad where the laces would usually be, very heavy upper due to rubber striker’s pad, very flexible soleplate, get a strange feeling of the shoe upper ‘sliding’ over the top of the soleplate when changing direction hard. Great traction but less lateral stability – for the extra weight I’d recommend the Asics...

Asics Tigreor 3 IT: raised heel with associated cushioning and support does wonders to reduce impact injuries & soreness, kangaroo leather provides for great fit, cleats too shallow/small esp. under forefoot, slightly angled cleats (i.e. from base of soleplate to tip of cleat) don't stick into the grass as well as a straight cut – appreciably more slips while wearing these, smallish toe cleat/accumulation of plastic, more contoured sole provides good arch support, raised heel (patented...booo!!!) feels phenomenal. Great training/general use cleat, but lacks traction performance that I would like for a high-level tournament.

Adidas adiZero F50 FG: ‘tis new so not had much time in it, very light indeed, smallish cleats provide surprisingly good traction, narrow rearfoot but widens significantly through the mid- and forefoot, tall through the midfoot although a higher arch than I expected, large uncleated area at toe of soleplate, soft in the forefoot but rigid midfoot, surprisingly secure rearfoot locks the heel in nicely, counterintuitive asymmetric lacing for soccer strikers slightly restricts tightening around the midfoot. Early signs seem very positive...

General comments: kangaroo leather provides a more contoured fit around the foot as it tends to mould into shape, there is a very noticeable difference between the weight of the leather shoes and the lighter synthetic shoes – even the difference between the Superfly & adiZero is noticeable – particularly when chasing a long disc, never assume that just because one size works for you in one type of shoe that it is applicable to another type (soccer or NFL cleats) by the same manufacturer, my method is usually to try a shoe on at a store and then order from Eastbay, I get over the absence of a toe cleat when throwing by rolling onto the top of my toe but not dragging (interpret the rules as you may...WFDF 18.2.6.4), lightweight soccer boots are generally lighter than lightweight NFL boots but have lower cut ankles, only the Asics provide any real support/cushioning, I find that most of the aforementioned boots accommodate my own capabilities in terms of cutting/handling/top end running – the SL’s or perhaps F50’s are my top pick due to traction, lightweight and feel at the sacrifice of a bit of comfort.

Remember, this is all just an opinion  Smiley Hope it helps some of you - sorry about the length.
Pepper

Netherlands Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »

I recently ordered ASICS Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS 5 cleats, which are basically rugby/lacrosse shoes. I read about many world class referees having these shoes as well as players of all levels. Since lacrosse/rugby and ultimate have in common that you don't actually use your feet (that much) for controlling the playing object (disc, (rugby) ball), the focus of these shoes is more on being lightweight and providing good grip.

I would recommend these to everyone playing ultimate. In the European Union they are hard to come by, since rugby/football (i.e. not meaning soccer) isn't a big sport in many countries. So look for a UK online shop and try the size of the shoe with Asics running shoes, since they have the same sizes as the rugby shoes.

Meanwhile, a new version is available in the US and Australia: Asics Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS 6:

Want to win? Want to improve your distance, accuracy and effictiveness throwing a frisbee disc? - Visit www.howtothrowlikeapro.com!
Ka-ching

If at first you don't succeed, huck, huck again.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »

Anyone here ever try the Warrior Men's Burn Speed 3.0 Low cleats? It looks like Dicks Sporting Goods is having a sale and I can get them for $30 with free shipping.

Anyone know how they fit, and if they're any good? Also if you have a pair, how do they fit size wise? I know Nike runs about a size smaller than most other shoes, but anyone know how the Warrior's sizes are?

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it.
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »

Hmmm, never heard of those Warrior cleats before.  Not a bad price (from $90 to $30).  Makes em a little suspect though.  Nothing good in life ever gets less expensive.  Wink

But, seeing as how Dick's will take merchandise back, it can't hurt to order a pair and see how they fit.

Let us know how they work out.

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Ka-ching

If at first you don't succeed, huck, huck again.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

I just got my Warrior Burn Speeds today and after trying them out, my first impression is pretty good. They fit me quite well, and are comfortable enough right out of the box, which I hope will be better once they're broken in. I don't have much experience with cleats, but they are a HUGE improvement over my baseball cleats. They're lightweight and have a nice cleat pattern with good grip. However, they do have a "cheaper" feel about them, I'm interested in seeing how long they'll hold up.

Summing it up, I like them a lot, and I think they're a good buy for the $30 dollars I paid for them. Smiley

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese