UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 27, 2014, 03:03:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "The Road To Gold Goast" - 2007 University ultimate  (Read 114075 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »

Might seem a bit early, but most unis will be starting to think about their squads for this year.

Ballarat haven't lost anyone from their 2006 AUG squad, and have gained Greta and Dan from the Aus junior teams. We're looking at having a B team this year too for IVs and Latrobe City Challenge. Monash have picked up a few of the juniors/HoS lads, and have kept most of their 2006. I think they're planning to have a B team as well. Melbourne will probably get a bunch of imports like they usually do. Damn those big, high profile unis.

First IV for the year is this Saturday in Ballarat - two Ballarat teams, Monash and Latrobe are the uni teams, plus possibly a team or two of juniors, locals and pickups.

How are all the other regions looking this year?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »

Plans are underway to get a Vic Uni team started. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »

QUT is looking to post its strongest team this year. Hopefully captained by Big Mike (depends on his prac but he'll be there) in what will probably be his last uni games. And yes we will have more than 8 people this year so there is no where to go but up unless there is more than 17 teams. hehe
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »

Monash's B team is up in the air due to lower than expected female signups during O-week. But we have picked up a Swede with an awesome flick  Grin

We also lost Ronnie from '06, nuf said.

AUG '07 fields look sweet (Link). Wonder how many discs will be lost to the water Wink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:14:57 PM by matthui » Logged

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »

Wonder how many discs will be lost to the water

How many will be lost to drinking you mean
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:18 PM »

ANU will have a very similar line-up for the boys but our girls line-up will change. We lose Lu Fearnside and Mica Hartley, both Green and Gold winners at various times but gain Lucy Stevenson and maybe Keah M from USyd (Her paperwork for enrolment at the ANU is in but she's been out of Australia for a while)

We suck balls at recruiting, despite our best efforts and won't have a second team.

UCan will be back on the scene, after VSU fiascos last year. Newwie will lose Tatts, one of their key playmakers. Mac will still be disgustingly stacked. USyd have had to cancel their league due to lack of interest, quite a problem really. UNSW will still suck as much as they did last year. So the east region is particularly ripe for domination, with only Mac and ANU improving or maintaining their strength from last year.

Yay

-Tom
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:11:06 AM »

It's looking like it'll be a blanket field again this year. Last year the top 6 or so were pretty clear, with the field right down to 14th being relatively even. With the East slowing and the South gaining, AUG this year will be great. With a few extra teams stepping up this year (Latrobe, UCan, Griffith, CSU) will we see 20 teams at the Gold Coast?

Good to see UCan and QUT back on the scene. The SA teams might struggle a bit - I hear Flinders are having VSU issues, and Huy Vu has graduated from Adelaide. Big loss for them. Melbourne has lost Frank (I think) and Alica Daly, and their 06 "super pickups" KP and Wheely aren't guaranteed to make the trip again.

My prediction is Mac for gold, massive clusterf**k for 2nd-19th and Monash to finish 20th unless Moroney doesn't come, in which case they'll finish top ten.

moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:55:38 AM »

Haha Pissy,

I thought I was going to get through your whole comment without a single heckle, only to be thrilled by one in the last sentence. Will be B-Town be graced with your elegant prowess once again this year? I have never seen a man fuse such artful movement of the body with ultimate frisbee quite like you.

Ps. Your sister is hot Shocked

Moz.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »

Will be B-Town be graced with your elegant prowess once again this year?
You knows it. LTCC at least, although I think Wood's hatching a plan to make me captain the B team so he doesn't have to put up with me looking him off all the time. AUG I'll be there in one form or another.

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

Yay, last night I had confirmation that Keah was coming to ANU. She has been emailing around to find a place come june....funnily (for me and my house/team mate John "Whore Bags" Horan) my house will have a spare room around that time...

Now we just have to not scare her with our 'special' ways and she'll be able to come.

-Tom
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 03:23:05 AM »

I have been reading these posts and have concluded that UQ must not exist anymore.  I see Mac is expected to win with everyone unable to compete with them even though UQ lost to them by 2 in the final last year. 

UQ lost Piers in the first game last year and lost to Mac by only 2, let alone are picking up johnny mac and a few of the Sultry girls this year (and expecting piers not to hurt himself first game).
So, I would have to say that they are definitely expected to due quite well, probably put them easily in contention for a medal. 

Macquarie are obviously going in as a favorite.  I would have to say that Melbourne and UQ are expected to do quite well considering those three seemed above the competition last year.  All in all, will be a great tournament with lots of good teams and talented players.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

Well... Hey everyone, I'm Bozza and I'm from Bathurst  Grin

Anyways, with all this talk about AUG's this year on the Gold Coast,  it's hard not to look past CSU Bathurst taking out first place!! Ok, that's no where near true, but we will be attending our first AUG's in this era of the club.

Our recruitment has gone very well this year with having 62 financial members of the club, 40 signed up to out weekly league!!

We are very girl light, but I'm working on that by growing my hair long and Cherry has agreed to wear a dress Tongue

So we'll be sipping some drinks on the gold coast come September, we'll bring Cooties along with us and pray that someone puts together a 20 team boat race to crown the real champions!!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 01:31:51 AM »

I have been reading these posts and have concluded that UQ must not exist anymore.  I see Mac is expected to win with everyone unable to compete with them even though UQ lost to them by 2 in the final last year. 

UQ lost Piers in the first game last year and lost to Mac by only 2, let alone are picking up johnny mac and a few of the Sultry girls this year (and expecting piers not to hurt himself first game).
So, I would have to say that they are definitely expected to due quite well, probably put them easily in contention for a medal. 

Macquarie are obviously going in as a favorite.  I would have to say that Melbourne and UQ are expected to do quite well considering those three seemed above the competition last year.  All in all, will be a great tournament with lots of good teams and talented players.
I was wondering how long it'd take for you to pipe up, Brett.

Monash won the Ballarat IV yesterday, beating Ballarat 1 on universe point. Again. It was only a 40 minute game but it was pretty intense. Neither team had their best line up, but it still further intensified the rivalry between us and them. It was a great day overall (good weather in B-Town for once!) - 75-odd players took part, with it being the first tournament for around half of them.

Final standings
1. Monash
2. Ballarat 1
3. Church Street League (Creswick)
4. Berkley College (?) (Nicky Smith's team)
5. LaTUF
6. Ballarat 2

Bozza, good to see you've recruited well and will make it to AUGs for once. We've started planning our road trip to your turf - better be a good show! If you're struggling to recruit girls for Uni Games, something we've always done is hitting up tryouts for other sports (netball, touch, softball) and approach girls who don't make those teams.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »

Hehe leave little brett alone

And what was that about QUT coming back we were there last year all 8 of us. someone had to finish 17th and i am proud that i was male mvp for that team. GO ME.

and i expect UQ to send down more than one team if there uni doesnt book the ridges again and charge them a small fortune.

Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 11:18:34 PM »

Good to see UCan and QUT back on the scene. The SA teams might struggle a bit - I hear Flinders are having VSU issues, and Huy Vu has graduated from Adelaide. Big loss for them. Melbourne has lost Frank (I think) and Alica Daly, and their 06 "super pickups" KP and Wheely aren't guaranteed to make the trip again.

At the moment I'm not an enrolled student but that will most likely change very soon. Either at Melbourne or another Uni that I will not name until I have further information. I'm hoping to eventually set the sad record for most consecutive AUG appearances.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese