UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:09:59 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "The Road To Gold Goast" - 2007 University ultimate  (Read 231242 times)
wetnose

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2007, 10:36:13 PM »

Final placings:

1. UQ
2. Macquarie
3. UNSW
4. Monash
5. UTAS
6. ANU
7. USYD
8. TeamNZ
9. Melbourne
10. UWA
11. QUT
12. Flinders Uni
13. UBal
14. Adelaide Uni
15. Murdoch
16. UWS
17. La Trobe
18. Griffith
19. CSU
20. UTS

Having played in the tournament I can say that in the initial pools, one pool was definately stronger than the other. If all teams had played each other prior to quarter finalists being decided (impractical I know, but this is just for arguments sake) then it is possible that 6 of the quarter finalists (UQ, Monash, ANU, UTAS, Melbourne, UWA) would have come from one pool, with only Macquarie and UNSW coming from the other pool. That being said, it happened how it happened and the results will be recorded as above.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2007, 06:14:03 AM »

Did they name a Green and Gold team this year, or just MVPs? And did they do that all time green and gold thingo, or just the all stars game?
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »

Some info on Uni Games for those that weren't there:

The Ballarat v UQ game was not like last year.  It was played seriously with Ballarat going up 4-1 as Wood said before Bretty called a timeout and 'motivated' the team.  We went on to win 15-6.  Ballarat was looking really strong, just didn't have the legs for a 13 game tournament.

The two pools were in no way balanced with 6 quarterfinal caliber teams in one pool (UQ Monash, UTas, ANU, Melbourne, and UWA), and the other pool only having 2 definite quarter final caliber teams (Mac and UNSW).

All the fields were quite fantastic, except for two fields (7 & Cool which were just off the river.  These had a strong upwind/downwind orientation which made games closer than what they should have been.  I would honestly say, though the scoreline doesn't really show it, that Monash would have dominated USyd had it been on any of hte other fields.  They were the closest semifinal, but my opinion is because of field allocation. 

The tie in Pool B went as follows:
ANU over UTas 12-10
Melb over ANU 13-12
UTas over  Melb 12-10

Monash had defeated Melbourne, UTas, and ANU, mostly in double game point games, but secured number two in the pool regardless of scoreline.  Monash's only loss was to UQ as I understand. 

UQ was to play UWA Wednesday in the last time slot. UWA had to win two of its three games Wednesday to make quarters, and came into the UQ game with two losses.  This made for a fun game, much like last years Ballarat v. UQ game.  Billy played a few points and we had a lot of fun.  We played a point of Gridiron-ultimate with a line of scrimmage with Billy as QB.  Bretty and JMac blitzed billy, but he pulled out the hail marry.   Brett started playing for UWA and a UWA player playing for UQ (was it Eli?).  It would have made Wood and Farmer proud!  Don't know the score, but a really fun game after a hard day!

I was honestly surprised that Melb lost to UTas, as strong as UTas was, Melbourne was a really strong team.  That game was also on the river fields, but UTas just stepped it up when it was necessary.  Hard fought game on both sides, but UTas wanted it more.  Melbourne had a few drops late game that were devestating.  That day was a hard day for pool B as Melbourne, ANU, UTas, UQ and Monash were all playing each other.  UQ had a hard game againt Monash in teh morning followed directly by Melbourne. 

UQ v. UNSW semi was extremely hard fought by both teams, would say UQ's hardest game of the tournament.  Both teams came out firing, but also some slip ups from both sides.  Abra Garfield gets special mention for having a great defensive game.  Wazza and Charlie get special mention for pulling out some huge offensive plays!  The UNSW girls were playing amazingly well considering the lack of subs.  Some calls from both sides, but still a greatly spirited game.  I was thoroughly impressed by UNSW and am honestly surprised they lost ot MAc in pool play.  It was a barfight but UQ edged them out in the last few minutes.  At one point was 10-9, UQ up, with 4-5 turns from both teams before UQ put it in with time cap going, making it a game to 12 with UQ up 11-9.  Pretty much the deciding point of the game and could have gone either way.  Last point was a stall 9 break throw from Johnny mac to Junior in the endzone.

The Final was basically Brett Matzuka trying to do everything he could to make his team lose, but the other 15 really stepping up and making it count.  UQ just put everything in and kept putting the pressure on Mac who eventually couldn't handle it.  Special mention to Chris, Junior, and JMac for playing extremely well, let alone the rest of hte team and the UQ ladies for really keeping the MAc girls quiet.  Congrats Lovers for really coming together and putting in the whole tournament and making it count.  It was impressive, especially with the draw against us, and everyone really contributed! 

Encourage others to post with their perspectives of games, players, and so on, farewell!

Lastly, was personally really impressed by the younger, newer players on teh scene stepping up and making their mark on Australian frisbee.  Congrats to you!
JMc
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:48 AM »

A Green and Gold team was selected, as usual. The all-time team was also selected, but my memory's not good enough to list that one... Pissy?

2007 G & G team, if I recall correctly... hope I haven't screwed it up, that could be embarrassing:

Chris Cunliffe (UQ)
Brett Matzuka (UQ)
John McNaughton (UQ)
Matt Dowle (Mac)
The Colombian guy on Mac - apologies, don't know his name (Julian??)
Abra Garfield (UNSW)
Warwick Shepherd (UNSW)
Seb Barr (MON)
Tom Watson (ANU)
Chris Freise (MEL)
Beckie Zipp (Mac)
Bec Carman (Mac)
Mel Jackson (MON)
Lucy Stevenson (ANU)
Ash Martens (Tas)
Tania King (Tas)

I'm pretty sure that was it.
cfreise

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2007, 10:35:53 AM »

A few random thoughts from the week.  I swear it has nothing to do with PTD or procrastination.  Smiley

The fields were great, with the already mentioned exceptions of 7/8.  We (Melb Uni) found ourselves next to the river for a couple of games, and inevitably the result was inferior ultimate.  The wind died down at times, but for the most part was a stiff up/down wind game.  Lots of huck and zone.  On the other fields, there was enough of a crossfield wind to make things interesting, but not too bad.  The fields themselves were pretty sick - if you couldn't layout on that grass, it's your own fault.

There's already been a fair amount of commentary about the uneven pools, and I don't think many participants would disagree with much of what's been said.  For reasons unknown and baffling to most participants, the tournament was organized into 2 pools of 10 teams, rather than the more conventional 4 pools of 5 format (followed by power pools, etc.) we're all more familiar with.  There are standard ways of running a tournament for a reason.  It's more than a moot point, as one of the key points raised in the tiering debate ahead of AUG was the difficulty in determining pre-tourney seeds.  Such a draw, without any crossover between the pools before the QF, puts enormous importance on the initial pools and seedings, arbitrary as they seem.  This led to a number of absurdities, including Mac (#2) and Monash (#4) playing CSU (#19) and Griffith (#18) in the 10:30AM slot on THURSDAY.  This is the day before the final - and clearly not in the interests of either team.  How do the stronger teams benefit from such a game, any more than the weaker teams that are getting pummeled 4 days into the tourney?

Obviously, stacked pools like that are going to result in some heartache, and unfortunately we happened to be on the receiving end of a fair amount.  For what it's worth, 7 out of the top 11 finishers started in one pool...and at least anecdotally, I'd agree with the earlier comment that we had 6 credible QF teams in that pool.  I didn't see much of USyd (#3 from weaker pool) other than a Field 7 huck/zone fest against Monash, so I don't know how they would have fared in a "proper" game, but the point remains - the draw sucked.  Piers might have had the most understated quote of the tournament in describing the draw as "sub-optimal".  Yeah.

I hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes.  We were gutted once we found out that we were missed out by a single point**, but that scenario could have just as easily happened if we had split into power pools.  We were also very aware that we had put ourselves in that situation, and that we didn't pick our "off" game (against UTas) particularly well.  (It didn't help that they told us they played the "best game they've ever played at AUG".  If only.)  We went 9-3 on the week, with our 3 losses by a total of 7 points (including to the champs, UQ).  In no way do I blame the draw for our result.  But to have such a situation possible is troubling. 

While this was only my 2nd AUG, one of the things I heard consistently over the week was the growing parity at the Uni level.  Last year, I remember a lot being made of the fact that 2 non-Eastern teams (Melb Uni and UQ) made the semifinals.  While the regional allotment of the SF was the same, it was nice to very nice to see 2 new teams (UNSW and Monash) fighting it out in the SF.  While it seems it's a return to success for UNSW, there can be very little doubting that Monash is the most improved team at AUG 2007.  We know their team as well as anybody, and their development over the past year has been truly incredible.   This sort of turnover amongst the top teams bodes very well for the future, both for Uni and club teams in Australia.  (It also shows the silliness of a "hard" tiering system that doesn't allow for movement between tiers based on tournament results, but that's for next year.)  Special Monash-directed shouts to Mel Jackson and Seb Barr, who played amazingly well over the week, and Cleatus - a future Green and Golder if ever there was one.  They've got a lot to be proud of, as well as look forward to next year. Oh, and their coach Chris Stephens, who has done amazing things this year - even if he can't say my last name properly. Smiley

**we were doubly gutted to find out, based on our quick calculations, that had we won by 2 instead of 1 in our game against ANU (1 POINT!), we would have finished 3rd in our pool instead of 5th.  The difference was a mouth-watering QF against UNSW, compared to a fun but nonsensical game against UWS in the 9th-20th end of the draw.  All the more reason to win the games you feel you should, eh?
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »

on a lighter note freise you did get to play a hard game against us in in that pool. We too felt some what deflated finishing in the bottom half of the table. Our results were reasonably strong v anu 9-12 v utas 8 - 10 v melbourne 10-11, but we just couldnt seem to secure the wins when it counted.

For all Lovers haters out there QUTies schooled UQ in the final of YUFL 15-8. 
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »

I think you got it wrong Jangles, there are no Lovers haters...there are only Brett haters.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2007, 05:04:10 AM »

Well AUGs 2007 is all wrapped up and I have to admit I was pretty pleased with how everything panned out in the end.

Grin

That said, I think the one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough that is a major drawback for the week is the sheer number of games that are played over the course of the tournament. I thought the 10 games in 2006 was excessive but they managed to increase that to 12 for 2007, which I thought was ridiculous - especially the idea of playing the semi final on the Friday morning with the final to follow in the early afternoon.

Whilst 2007 was probably my last uni games, I still think that in the future that no more than 9 games should be played to determine positions. I mean Uni Games is as much about the partying and the social aspect as it is the competition and I was very disappointed that the draw is setup this year was such that partying and being social hinders the level of the competition. When for a large part they can both coexist if the tournament is organised well.

I mean if I was running the tournament I'd be aiming to get all play all the pool and cross over games in the first two days, then making Wednesday a rest day and then having quarter finals and semi finals (or other playoff games) on Thursday and the final (or positional game) at fairly respectable hours on the Friday. That would allow top teams the ability to go out and party on Sunday night (because it is only pool play on Monday). Teams might have to have a quieter Monday night considering they have cross over matches on Tuesday, but Tuesday would be able to be festive as well as making it the prefect night for the Frisbee party if it is a rest day on Wednesday. Then teams might be able to have a quieter Wednesday night in preparation for Thursday quarter and semi finals but they'd then be able to have a much bigger Thursday night considering that they'd only have one game on Friday that wasn't too early and even those in the final itself would be able to have a big one considering they wouldn't have to play until 2pm, and obviously Friday is a big session for everyone involved. It is disappointing that when so many people travel to one of the best tourist destination in Australia for what is meant to be a fun and social event yet are unable to attend the parties at night or enjoy what the Gold Coast has to offer.

So unfortunately this year the partying from UQ was relatively limit partially due to the draw, partially due to the location of our accommodation, partially due to the personalities on the team and partially due to the fact we didn't have Coach Viper (aka Pottsy) taking the piss out of any weak off field drinking performances from UQ Lovers.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2007, 01:33:35 AM »

2 words chris.     little dikkie!!!!!! Yeh Lovers!!!!
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »

I don't get it Jangles
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »

I don't get it either, but if what you are trying to say is I'm a little bitch then my only response to that is "no comment".

Seriously though, I don't care if people think I'm soft for making such a suggestion, I know I'm not alone with wanting less games. The only reason I think it is a good idea is because I think it will add to the tournament and not only cater for higher level play but also allow teams to bond better and actually enjoy their time at AUGs more. I mean as uni students we only get one week off during the semester and it's sad that we don't get the chance to really savour it. That's my two aussie cents anyway.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »

This led to a number of absurdities, including Mac (#2) and Monash (#4) playing CSU (#19) and Griffith (#18) in the 10:30AM slot on THURSDAY.  This is the day before the final - and clearly not in the interests of either team.  How do the stronger teams benefit from such a game, any more than the weaker teams that are getting pummeled 4 days into the tourney?

Well... I feel that Mac benefitted from playing CSU on the Thursday morning but getting a good chance to run out any aches and pains, as well as being able to work on a few things that they usually get d'd on. This gave Mac Uni a chance to play Ultimate with no pressure. It would be a good warm-up for them before they play another team.

Same as us playing UNSW on the last slot on Tuesday afternoon. UNSW had a chance to play some free flowing, fun Ultimate in a game where there was absolutely no pressure.

For us... well they were 2 very difficult games and it gave CSU a chance to see where they sit and how good they can be. I wish we could of played against other teams such as GUU, Flinders, AU, NZ and UWS with the tenacity and spirit that we played against Mac. We always knew Mac would win, but it didn't stop us from trying to not get pantsed!!
shebbbbo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »

Whilst 2007 was probably my last uni games, I still think that in the future that no more than 9 games should be played to determine positions. I mean Uni Games is as much about the partying and the social aspect as it is the competition and I was very disappointed that the draw is setup this year was such that partying and being social hinders the level of the competition. When for a large part they can both coexist if the tournament is organised well.

this being my first post on ultitalk, i dont want to burn you too much chris but i must say i disagree. I personally loved the amount of game time and i think that you can balance the drinking and playing quite well. i made it out to 4 parties over the 5 days and still managed to play all but one game (through injury). I also found that with only 2 games during the day it made it easy to find a little time to have a snooze between games if you were still really hungover. i defiantly enjoyed this freedom.

i think if you go away for a week to play frisbee, you might as well play every day. we do at nationals and the lower quality unigames should be no different.
AlecD

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 11, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »

I come to unigames to have fun playing Ultimate and party. Part of the fun for me is the extremes to which the body is pushed. A couple of hints I learnt this year for if you're struggling to 'cut the mustard  Wink'
- don't waste/lose time in between finishing your games and partying, make the travel/pool/shower/food as short as possible so you can start partying early
- bus-naps are quite good
- nana-naps AFTER showering/food count for sleeptime x 3
- what you miss in sleep you can make up in food (as long as you can keep it down)

It took me 3 days to recover my energy, but I just count that as 'reflection time'. After Mixed Nats there were 3 layers of blisters on my feet. The body heals (mostly) and energy levels return, but it the memories from the games, goodtimes and partying that stay with you. I'll take as much ultimate as you can offer  Grin (although not much more than we currently get thanks). You can always pick games to 'rest'.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 12, 2007, 12:50:24 AM »

this being my first post on ultitalk, i dont want to burn you too much chris but i must say i disagree. I personally loved the amount of game time and i think that you can balance the drinking and playing quite well.
LOL! Interesting pint Seb (I'm assuming this is Seb from Monash) but not everyone on the team has the luxury of being a handler - some of us have to actually run. Also from memory Monash were the biggest bitch team at the tournament skipping the Tuesday night Frisbee party and from memory also the Thursday night pre-semi-finals party which the bulk of UNSW, Mac & UQ managed to attend.

I'm not saying you can't get out and play hard and party even when playing 12 games (I'd like to think I for the most part was still able to do that this year) I'm just saying that everyone would be able to play and party harder if we didn't have to play as many games, which should hopefully also mean that we don't have to start as early to fit all the games in.

i think if you go away for a week to play frisbee, you might as well play every day. we do at nationals and the lower quality unigames should be no different.
At Nationals you only play for four days and on the last day you only have one game plus you normally have large squads.

You can always pick games to 'rest'.
I actually did that against Ballarat this year, but that was more because I fell down an escalator on the Sunday night and messed my calf up (I probably had had a couple to many and was a little excited that I was finally at Uni Games). Having "rest" games is a very hard policy to implement when you don't have really big rosters and you don't have the depth in the team that would allow other players to slot into key positions. Not to mention it's not like there are only a select few who are toughing it out - pretty much everyone on the team is out at night hitting it pretty hard and getting very few hours sleep.

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese