UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 24, 2014, 04:25:45 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed u23 World Championships  (Read 18126 times)
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »

The AFDA have received an inquiry from WFDF to find out if we would be able to send teams to an u23 World Championships in Europe next year. The proposed dates for the tournament are 17-24 July, which places it about 2 weeks after World Clubs in Prague. The proposed divisions are Open, Women and Mixed.

I am writing to you to gauge how much interest there is for this event. I would really appreciate if you could take a few moments and write to me and let me know if you are interested (or not). In fact negative replies are as useful as positive replies. It would help me to respond to WFDF if you could get back to me ASAP. Bear in mind that you would need to be 23 years of age or younger in 2010 to be able to participate.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Piers Truter (AFDA Director, High Performance)

Discuss:

moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:30:48 AM »

This concept gives me a mild erection.

Not a full blown rock hard woodie.

But a half mast meatstick.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »

As long as none of those pesky u19's take our spots, right guys??

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »

Sounds like a fudgin' good idea to me.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:01:24 AM »

Figgin Junior worlds...

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
JMc
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:06:39 PM »

(News update: there's now an AFDA rego page for putting up your interest, as well as an email group to keep up to date with what's happening... if you don't have the details, ask someone)

I'll be very interested to see what the campaign looks like, if this goes ahead. Obviously for WUGC, we've moved towards a long, structured preparation phase to get the best possible teams. Same with World Games - our prep is pretty good.
This tourney presents some different challenges though...
1) Closeness to WUCC = less support staff for the team, divided interest for many team members
2) Closeness to WJUC = less support staff for the team
3) Small selection pool, most likely
4) Late announcement (it's in 11 months from the time we've first heard of it)

Wonder what that means for selection process, training camps, coaching/leadership of the team, admin/managerial support, etc?

Either way, I'm pretty keen on this.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 03:22:50 AM »

Upon further thought, this is farkin awesome. List making time!

I agree with Jmac's sentiments in regards to the lead times, however;

I would assume that the under 19's and the under 23's would be mutually exclusive campaigns, eg. If you're playing U/19's, you aren't playing U/23's. It's a big ask to get players to play two (or possibly three) large tournies within a month (Would be sick though!). I think Piers' thoughts were that the two groups would train together though.

In regards to the support staff, I think it could go either way. Some who may be in Europe for WUCC may tag this on to the end of their trip, when if it was just U23WC, they may not have made the trip. Same with WJUC.

The selection pool is mid 40's the last I asked. My lists show 48 people eligable between 06, 08 juniors and a couple of ring ins like the eley boys (not that they'll make it).

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:26:25 AM »

I'd be interest in a manager role. Looking to travel over there around that time anyway.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »

Why stop there?

I think an under 25, 27 and 29 world champs would also be a great idea.

Everyone's a winner!
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

OOOHH SOMEBODY SOUNDS BITTER!!

GET YOUNGER FRANK.

OH WAIT. YOU CAN'T.

UNLUCKY.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Meegs

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:28:15 AM »

No way! In 2004 I was 10 days too old for Junior Worlds and NOW they decide to do this when I'm too old again!! Stupid WFDF. Tongue
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »

That's part of my justification for supporting this. I missed out on Junior Worlds by a few months so this is a good chance to get my revenge...
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:24:17 AM »

So has anyone attempted mocking up a team yet? I jotted a couple of things down but haven't got anything solid as yet I don't think.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 04:16:51 AM »

What you put together isn't solid? Fucking hell Moz, I'd hate to see a 100% effort.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

In response to that CK guy's thoughts in the shoutbox:

U23 is a pretty good idea for a division. Most people of university age fit into this bracket, and that's where most folk pick up the sport.

I'd have thought America and Canada, who have no shortage of college athletes in this age bracket compared to the rest of the world, would be behind this idea.

Also, it's not like in Australia, where the most promising U23 folk can realistically try out and make the national team - you guys not only have to be good enough, but be on a good enough team.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese