UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:27:25 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on the Ho-stack  (Read 4969 times)
1handsky

United States United States

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »

1. When is the proper time to cut in or deep?

2. If the disc is on the left side of the field and I'm cutting on the right side, what exactly should I be doing?

3.If another cutter gets the disc, what's my continuation cut?
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »

I am not an elite coach by any means but I will give you my opinions and we can see where we go from there.

1.The first question is tricky because there is more to making a cut then just getting the disc. A lot of cuts are to set up other people not to get the disc directly.
The easiest answer would be make a cut to an open area and not to where another member of your team wants to go. Make sure you cut and bring someone with you, a defender. You want to pull your guy away from the play of the disc, in order to remove him from the play.

If you are wanting to cut for the disc, then you should cut whenever you see your teammate is about to catch the disc. If you have started your cut as he grabs it, he should be able to quickly look at you for the continuation.

Cutting is about timing and position more than speed. Thats why the old guys still own the rookies because they know how to play more than just sprinting around the field.

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »

Your questions are all pretty open since you provided no sort of situation to work from. But I will shoot some sort of answers. I'll preface with I am not an elite coach either.
1. You should be starting your cut either direction as the player before you is catching the disc so he has a quick continuation throw before his defenders gets a good mark on him. Whether your cut is in or out is entirely dependent on what is happening on the field so you cant say you should definitely go deep on X cut every time. I would say you don't want to cut deep as the first cut ever unless its a set play your team called. I'd probably go deep as the second or third cut depending how the prior cuts go but thats very dependent on the other cuts.
2. You should be doing 2 things in my opinion a. moving to keep your defender from poaching even if all you do is jog downfield and back and b. positioning yourself on the field to make a cut when needed so if the disc gets more centered or reset to the handlers and swung you are ready or if a good deep cut occurs your able to make as needed. Also as others players make cuts if they clear properly across the field you should be sort of rotating toward the action.
3. Depends entirely on the situation, the thrower, your defender, etc, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese